DPF Cleaning - Update

VegasFlyer

Some folks may remember the topic where we discussed what was involved getting a Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) cleaned. For ease of reading, we elected to start a new topic.

GENERAL INFO

In talking with other folks, we heard various estimates, as high as 3,500.00 to have a shop perform the work. A new DPF from the dealer is well over 2,000.00 and someone on the first post shared a link to a Canadian company that sells an OEM replacement for around 900.00USD.

As a side note, the interval on the need to clean a DPF is generally somewhere between 250 to 350,000 miles.

For anyone who did not read the original post, our initial issue was a symbol on the display screen indicating that a Manual Regen was required and not being able to complete a manual regen due to an error message. We never got any Fault Codes, just the Regen Symbol.

UPDATE

After exploring our options, we decided to take on the task and remove the filter to have it professionally cleaned.

The process is actually straight forward and it is clear that the Volvo Elves put a lot of thought into the fact that these things may have to actually be repaired after leaving the assembly line. With that said, it would have been quicker if we had a Service Manual, but not a major undertaking.

The filter, which is actually two sections which are held together with a Banjo clamp, were cleaned with an automated machine that actually works similar to a cnc router or plasma cutter.

For those who may not be familiar with DPF cleaning, the process is comprised of pretesting the filter to measure the differential of airflow going through the filter. The filter is then put into a cabinet, similar to a bead blast cabinet, where there are two air nozzles which are mounted to X-y type gantrys which run along the top and bottom of the filter simultaneously. The nozzles run back and forth covering every part of the filter. After an initial cleaning, the filter is checked again for differential of airflow. If the filter does not pass that step, they place the filter into a high temp oven and bake it for 12 hours and run it back through the cleaner again. If the filter does not pass the airflow test after a second cleaning, the owner of the filter gets out thier wallet and buys a new filter...

Our filter passed with one cleaning, though they did note that there was small amounts of soot coming out on the "clean" or downstream side of the filter. They explained that having some soot escape to the clean side of the filter was indicative of the filter getting close to reaching the end of its useful life. Sooooo that means in about 250 to 300,000 miles, we may have to buy a new DPF filter......lol

We will be putting the filter back in this coming weekend andwill try to get some pictures to share if there is any interest for that sort of thing...

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

Thanks for the update! When I purchased my truck I was told that the DPF would need to be replaced... I am not getting any error msgs on the dash. but it does go into regen almost every 1000 miles. Time to look into bypassing it. I just found someone a month or so ago that has a "kit" and you drill out the DPF.

:blink:

Thanks for the update! When I purchased my truck I was told that the DPF would need to be replaced... I am not getting any error msgs on the dash. but it does go into regen almost every 1000 miles. Time to look into bypassing it. I just found someone a month or so ago that has a "kit" and you drill out the DPF.

:blink:

This is a public forum. Maybe, it is not such a good idea to advertise that you may be removing emission controls.

It cost us 176.00 for the cleaning and 127.00 for the gaskets.

For those thinking about the bypass route, beside the fact that the fine for getting caught with a bypass installed is several thousand dollars, the bypass kits run around 1,400.00. The Canadian DPF run around 900.00 and you will be hard pressed to ever need to have it cleaned even once.

John

Southern Nevada

event.png

The irony of the DPFs is that they may not actually help the environment much. California is supposed to be testing the technology to determine if the regeneration process pumps as many particulates back into the air as the DPF is supposed to eliminate. I have my own doubts, as I see spots of diesel particulates on my aluminum bed that the DPF was supposed to have eliminated.

I personally don't believe that the way to clean air is by retrofitting old technology engines with more and more trouble prone emissions reduction hardware. I've also lost faith in pixie dust and governmental mandates. The mandates usually just generate small incremental steps in old technology. We have a history as a country of achieving difficult and important objectives through collaboration, innovation and hard work. We got to the moon by industry, academia and government collaborating to meet the challenge. To meet an emissions mandate, Volkswagen simply cheated. Mandates never bring out our best.

All of my pixie dust comes from Nigeria and doesn't seem effective. The leprechauns are expensive, but the dust worked and was non-allergenic.

John McLaughlin

2010 Volvo 730, D13, I-shift, singled and decked

2014 Lifestyle 38' Fifth Wheel

I can tell you we pulled all the hood vents above the end of the flat top line (last line in production). The roof is clean above where the trucks are started every 6.5 mins for 16 hours a day. I forget the dollar amount Volvo spent on testing for the EPA but it was way up there. If more then one person goes into the room where the particulates are weighted it will fail because of the temp rise in the room.

"If you can not measure it, you can not improve it."

Lord Kelvin

It cost us 176.00 for the cleaning and 127.00 for the gaskets.

For those thinking about the bypass route, beside the fact that the fine for getting caught with a bypass installed is several thousand dollars, the bypass kits run around 1,400.00. The Canadian DPF run around 900.00 and you will be hard pressed to ever need to have it cleaned even once.

Hi VegasFlyer,

Who did the work for you ? Did you take your filter to the dealer for cleaning ? Or is there companies that specialize in this kind of work ? I think knowing this info can help everyone.

Curious minds need to know,

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Hi VegasFlyer,

Who did the work for you ? Did you take your filter to the dealer for cleaning ? Or is there companies that specialize in this kind of work ? I think knowing this info can help everyone.

Curious minds need to know,

Al

Hi Al,

I brought the filter to my Nephew who works for a shop in SoCal that specializes in Detroit Diesels. They had just installed an automated cleaner. Their rate was 1 to 2 hundred dollars cheaper than the quote I got from the International dealer in Las Vegas.

There are not a lot of places that have the equipment to properly clean a DPF, though the numbers do appear to be increasing as shops invest in the equipment.

I would suspect that as more places do come online, the price should go down some, though I still also believe in Santa Clause.....

John

Southern Nevada

event.png

• 2 weeks later...

CLOSEOUT REPORT

Well we finally got a chance to put the filter back into the truck. It went together a whole lot easier than it came out.

One problem which brought about the majority of our problem with getting the DPF out, as well as the final re-assembly, stemmed from the fact that the last time the filter was serviced, somebody stripped an internal hex bolt that secures one of two metal bands that secure the DPF to the frame. While we were able to disassemble the DPF, it was like working one of those puzzles with multiple close tolerance pieces. Though in this case, a couple of the pieces weigh about 30 pounds and you have to lift them while bent over underneath the truck...lol

Although we could not find a Service Manual that covered the DPF R&R, it was fairly easy to figure out. The easiest way to accomplish this task would be to remove the two steel bands that secure the DPF to the frame, while supporting the DPF with a transmission or floor jack, then slide the DPF out from under the truck and disassemble for cleaning.

We do realize that cutting the stripped bolt and replacing it would be the most prudent course of action. The problem was that we were under the gun to get it out to get it to the shop for cleaning. That will be a future project for a day when We haven't had much opportunity to cuss a lot.

After getting the DPF installed, the leak check went fine, though the dash indication signaling the need for a manual Regen remained illuminated.

After driving the truck to get it warmed up for a manual Regen, the truck beat us to the punch and went into Regen on its own, resulting in the light going out and peace in the valley.

John

Southern Nevada

event.png

Archived