Has anyone ever had encounters with bears or other wild dangerous species while boondocking?

The Few

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We saw Grizzlies in BC and Denali - just the way we like to see Grizzlies: in a vehicle with engine running, on a paved or good gravel road.

Had them wandering around Chewing Blackbones RV park (beautiful but primitive) on Blackfoot Reservation on east side of Glacier NP. A couple of Blackfeet were riding around on RTVs with hand held compressed air horns trying to run them off. We had one come within 50 meters of 5th wheel, no problems but we did go inside. There were no females with cubs. The guy that ran the campground had apparently shot one once that was breaking into home and was shunned by many of the Nation since the bear is important to their beliefs.

Reed and Elaine

Let's not forget about those sneaky big cats, snakes, spiders, rodents, canines, or anything else that can hurt feelings if not careful!!

we all know that "BEARS" WILL and CAN tighten up butt cheeks if encountered, but I have yet to hear encounters much about anything else...

let's also not forget about EAGLES, HAWKS, VULTURES, Badgers....Etc!!!

I think you get my drift.... (Smile)

The Few

A woman died in Colorado last year from Bubonic Plague after contact with Prairie Dog. How's that?

Many of those cute little ground critters carry it such as chipmunks and squirrels. I really hate to see anyone feeding them, especially kids. One bite could be extremely serious.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Know of two "funny" bear instances in Yosemite. I sused to be a fairly good rock climber and would spend two to four weeks in Yosemite. The top woman rock climber than was Beverly Johnson (a level or two above my abilities - or three). She was eating cookies in her sleeping bag at Lower Pines and a bear came up and started nibbling the crumbs. She sat up suddenly and got bear tooth marks on her chest but no real damage. I was sleeping in a hammack in a group of climbers at Lower Pines (Camp 4 was closed for renovation) and a friend with long and somewhat greasy hair was sleepy a few feet away. A bear came along and was licking his hair. He also was quite upset and likewise sat up and slammed his head into the bear's mouth. He was cut a bit but no stitches.

Moral: Do not eat crackers in bed, in the open, with bears about.

My experience with wild critters was when I was climbing with Fred Beckey (he started in 1938 or 1939 and is still doing hard stuff at age 90) in Punchbowl Cove near Ketchikan, AK. We were told that the largest Brown Bears ever seen were near this cove. I woke up in the middle of the very dark night (200' Spruce) with something biting my finger. My first thought was that I was being devoured by a bear. It was just a small rodent checking for goodies.

Reed and Elaine

There have been two deaths in Colorado from Plague this year. There have been five tourists injured by Bison in Yellowstone this year. In Florida a woman lost her arm when attacked by an alligator.

Actually, Texas had it's first death by alligator this year in about 200 years. A slightly inebriated tavern patron decided to dive off the back porch into a bayou for a swim, in spite of the signs warning about gators. They found part of his remains in the gator's belly a couple of days later.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

Some years ago near our then mountain top home in the Adirondacks, a man was arrested for reckless endangerment and discharging a weapon within 500 feet of a residence. The man shot through his front door from inside his house and killed a 400 pound black bear that was clawing at the door. When he appeared in court representing himself, the ADA asked him how he could be absolutely sure it was a bear and not a human he was shooting at. The shooter then introduced photos of the holes the bear had clawed completely through the solid wood door, and said he didn't need to know. If it was a human doing that he would have shot anyway. The judge dismissed the charges...

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Give me a woods full of bear any day as I have delt with them most of my life but ticks are another story. Vile little disease carrying creatures. My daughter and her entire family on Long Island, NY have Lyme disease. I hate walking the woods of our north eastern states but when I do look myself over good and shower afterwards.
Later,
J

2012 Landmark, San Antonio

2013 Silverado CC, 3500HD, Duramax, DRW, 4x4

Backup, side and hitch cameras, Tireminder TPMS

Jack,

The deer ticks or black legged ticks as well as Lyme infected ticks are found everywhere in the US. We have Lyme disease here in Louisiana too.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Jack,

The deer ticks or black legged ticks as well as Lyme infected ticks are found everywhere in the US. We have Lyme disease here in Louisiana too.

RV,

What you say is true all states have reported cases of Lyme....but...take a look at this CDC map for 2013 and you will see what I mean. The northeast is the worst area hands down. http://www.cdc.gov/lyme/stats/maps/interactiveMaps.html

Later,

J

PS Today's news had a story about a gal who had to have portions of both her legs and arms amputated due to tick borne disease (Rocky Mountain Fever in this case). I'll stick with bears thank you.

2012 Landmark, San Antonio

2013 Silverado CC, 3500HD, Duramax, DRW, 4x4

Backup, side and hitch cameras, Tireminder TPMS

Yes they do seem to get many more cases. I was originally from Connecticut and used to go to camp Toquam Boy Scout camp in Goshen for several years as a camper and CIT. I was rushed home with a rash a delirium from fever. Took a week for antibiotics to beat whatever it was. Hindsight says a bacterial infection likely from ticks. Lyme or other beats me.

However the choice between a tick bite or a bear bite is a no brainer. :wacko:

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

There's lots of danger out there in Louisiana too. There's a deadly bacteria associated with live crawfish and crabs. I deal with these critters a lot and got it once when pinched by a crawfish (a common occurrence). I knew what it was, and sought treatment right away, so I made it. My doctor said 1/3rd of the people who get it don't make it. :(

Moral of the story, if you notice unusual soreness after getting pinched with a crawfish or a crab and see a red line moving up your arm, drop what you are doing and see the doc. A couple shots will usually knock it out. Wait a little longer and an antibiotic IV is needed. Wait a little longer and a mortuary is needed.

Mosquitos (our state bird J/K) transmit several diseases here. The one that receives all the press is West Nile Virus, however this is rarely fatal three other kinds of Encephalitis are also transmitted my mosquitos here : Saint Louis, Eastern Equine (Triple E) and California Encephalitis. Lately a new virus has entered Louisiana, with 8 cases around where I live, chikungunya fever. So it's advisable to wear insect repellant, especially in the morning and late afternoon.

Ticks also carry several diseases other than Lime disease too, depending on the species of tick and your location. Another annoying insect we have here is red bugs (chiggers.) Although not disease vectors, they itch like you wouldn't believe. I think I'd almost rather be bitten by a bear. ;)

Chip

Interesting! But, all things being equal - just use some common thinking - be careful and try to pay attention to what you are doing. Enjoy this wonderful GREAT country that we have, at least for the time being!

Safe Travels!

SKP #89742 - Lifetime membership - Member of the SKP Class of 2007
Good Sam Club - Lifetime Member
DataStorm #5423
Passport America - Lifetime Member
Sons Of The American Revolution (SAR) - Lifetime Member
American Legion - USAF - Lifetime Member
Rotary Club Member - 30 years

Escapee CARE Supporter

National Wildlife Refuge Volunteer

• 4 months later...

According to park rangers the most dangerous animal is not bear, it is Moose.

We were parked in a CG about 8 miles from St. Anthony, Newfoundland, CA., and this huge bull moose strolled in among our RV's and began munching on grass and brush within 10' of where we were having a meeting, just completely ignored us, but I was looking at the RV's we were between so DW and I could slide under just-in-case he looked our way. Alas I have lost the pictures on my computer of that leg of our trip.

There are more than 30 species of rattle snakes many of which a can be found in our deserts and more. Some of these are more aggresive than others and come in a variety of colors. Just like most wildlife encounters one can lessen the danger substatially by just being careful.

Ya, the green rattlesnake in AZ is one aggressive snake, and it likes to climb bushes to wait for prey.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

I agree Ray....in Canada even the big grizzlys will give a bull moose some space.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

I would not mess with a Moose.

However, my thought is the most dangerous animal is a mosquito. My daughter has been in the hospital once, and treated by a doctor friend once.

In my case, I almost died with a yellow jacket sting on my tongue.

Don't overlook the little stuff....it can kill you.

Vladimr Steblina

Retired Forester...exploring the public lands.

usbackroads.blogspot.com

At least you can see your predators :blink: here in Australia its the small things we have to watch out for :D Coming over to US in March for a 6 month Road Trip and will spend as much time as possible in your wonderful countryside..... and will be taking all the sensible advice given in these posts :)

Aussies Going to US For Road Trip

in a 34' Pace Arrow :)

Open to all info possible

Phil & Jo Hutchison

Melbourne, Australia

I camp in the middle of nowhere, in a tent (or sometimes without), with bears and cat around. I've never had an issue. It's safe. You've just got to be careful about food, and for me that's hanging it away from where I sleep. Bears are going to be around more, and be more problematic, in a campground where food is a constant (smell and availability) than boondocking in a place where they've never found food before.

2007 Keystone Springdale 245 FWRLL-S (modified)

2000 F-250 7.3L SRW

Cody and Kye, border collie extraordinaires

Latest departure date: 10/1/2017

Find us at www.nomadicpawprints.wordpress.com

I had a personal experience with a black bear once where I was hosting. I now have smoke colored plexiglass in the window that was destroyed on my TT and I was hitting it in the face with a wall clock through the metal window blinds attempting to keep it out. I like to tell this story so apologies to all who have heard it before. 4 or 5 days later a woman was attacked in her tent in the middle of the night and sustained significant injuries and her dog was killed. So it "can" happen but it is very rare I would say and "usually" caused by their own mistakes or poor judgement. I would say the lady and her compainions were 95% at fault, chance and the bear sharing the other 5% maybe. In my case I tend to think it was larglely caused by someone else feeding it though I certainly can't prove it. I mostly am concerned with the smallest critters but I did have trouble sleeping soundly for several weeks after my little encounter.

Archived