50 amp shore cord and trailer connection fried

youngwillyd

It looks like a bad connection on one of the legs that overheated. That will happen when the contacts get oxidized and or corroded.

Steve and Joy

Amateur Radio Operator WZ1T . . .  Flex 6600 M,  Flex PGXL, Flex TGXL, 

2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . Lincoln MKX Toad

The Kids . . . Yogi the Yorkie  passed 10/20/2018. . . Cookie the Chihuahua passed 11/30/2017 . . . Cooper the Aussie Doodle passed 3/10/2020

Abbie  and Abel  the Doodles . . . Brother and Sister Born 02/02/2020   . . . Lucy the Yorkie . . . and Axel  . . .The Bernie Doodle

Where We Are Now

I'd say possible, but not probable. That sort of short usually would trip the breaker on the pedestal before that happened. In my opinion and experience, the most likely cause was a worn connection in either the cord or the socket, or most likely both. Power cord plugs do go bad and when they do so there is introduced resistance in the connection due to a loose fit. That loose fit can cause arcing in the connection or over heating that then makes this get slowly worse over time. The voltage dropped across that resistance then becomes power that is converted to heat which then weakens the fit even more and things steadily go down hill. When the heat gets bad enough it begins to melt the plastic of the plugs and what you see there happens.

That same thing can and does happen with the plug on your cord that connects to the pedestal as well. It is a good idea to occasionally check the connections of your power cord to see if they feel hot. A little bit warm if using air conditioning or electric heaters is a normal thing but too hot to touch is a very bad sign.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Not water. Worn out connector and/or corrosion.

I would also be pretty sure, since this is winter, that an electric heater was on the same leg of the 50amp power along with something else. The water heater on electric, a convection oven, maybe even 2 electric heaters. If it was summer I would say an air conditioner along with some other load.

Bottom line, any combination of loads which bring the current load up pretty high. It doesn't have to be the full 50 amps. 30-40 amps will cause a lot of heat with a poor connection in the plug/connector.

I had this happen on a Class C in 100* weather with the AC running full bore. No other big load, such as water heater, microwave, etc. So I was probably pulling less than 20amps max. I knew the connector was a little worn and was going to replace it pretty soon.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

Rondo, funny you should post that today. I didn't know if I could find a loose screw but I wanted to try. I just finished taking the burnt pieces apart and it does appear the problem was in the neutral. It appears the screws are now welded so I can't tell if the neutral screw was loose. A couple of the screws on the trailer receptical I was able to tighten no more than a quarter of a turn.

I guess all these screws on the wires on the receptical and the plug are the ones that should be checked yearly? It makes sense but I don't think I heard of many people doing that.

2003 Dodge Ram 3500 4X4 Dually 5.9 CTD 48RE 373 Rear

2004 Teton Experience Frontier

That pic of the power cord sure looks like a 30A to me. I do agree with Kirk and Al, it used to be an overloaded connection.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

That pic of the power cord sure looks like a 30A to me. I do agree with Kirk and Al, it used to be an overloaded connection.

Ground connection isn't on one of the pins. It's on a metal contact along the outside edge of the circle.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Yup. It can happen. Happened to me. As best as I could figure out, it was most likely loose or corroded contacts on the plug. I'd attach a picture, but I don't know how.

2002 NuWa HitchHiker II 31 FKTG, Onan Generator, HWH Levelling, RVFlexArmor roof

2005 Chevy Silverado 2500 Crew Cab, Long Bed, SRW, 8.1L

B&W Companion Fifth Wheel Hitch

Me and Mama and the fur-kid:
Prince - chihuahua-pug mix

Similar thing happened to me and it was a loose connection at the terminal on the RV end of the 50 amp cord. I bought a new socket and cut back the cable enough to eliminate the burned and charred wires. I was able to clean and reuse my trailer receptacle but it looks like you'll need to replace yours.

Garry
2018 Grand Design Imagine 2600RB
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500

Archived