Best way around Houston

dennisvr

I'll be coming for Baton Rouge on I10 and going to SanAntonio and would like the best route to go around Houston. Perferably non toll roads, with 5 axles they get me for $7 at each toll booth, so if I can avoid them it would be good.

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

I'll be coming for Baton Rouge on I10 and going to SanAntonio and would like the best route to go around Houston. Perferably non toll roads, with 5 axles they get me for $7 at each toll booth, so if I can avoid them it would be good.

Having done this about a thousand times, I can say that the best way is to go straight through on IH10 between 9 am and 11 am or between 1:30 pm and 3:30 pm or on Sunday. Velly simple, velly easy.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

Having done this about a thousand times, I can say that the best way is to go straight through on IH10 between 9 am and 11 am or between 1:30 pm and 3:30 pm or on Sunday. Velly simple, velly easy.

That would be my choice also...definitely the fastest, easiest way...the Cleveland/Conroe route used to be good but the stinking traffic has gotten so bad around Conroe it's not worth it...if you were not in any hurry and wanted to see some very pretty country side you could go up to Livingston and across the lake on 190 to Huntsville, Brenham ect ect. Beautiful drive and not a lot of traffic.

Thanks, I will try I10 on the times you suggested or shoot for Sunday.

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

Agreed on I10 straight through. We've tried ways around and it takes a very long time.

The new lanes on I10 make it better.

Only thing that can get you is if there is a major accident, which could happen at any time.

Big5er may have some good counsel on the best times but 9-11am sounds like a winner to me.

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

Looks like the plans will take us thru on Sunday.

Thanks all for your help.

2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

Is the bridge that was 13'6" fixed in downtown?

I hope so, because I'm 13' 6".

2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

If your not in a hurry try dropping down to the Bolivar Peninsula and take the ferry (free) to Galveston and continue to Freeport before making your way back to I10. A lot slower but very scenic. The ferry handles all types of vehicles including 18 wheelers. And there are many places to camp for a few days.

Lenp

USN Retired
2002 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom

2012 F150 4x4

2018 Lincoln MKX

2019 HD Ultra Limited

If you go thru Houston on Sunday morning via IH 10 you should not have any problem.

Say at about 8am. Good Luck

I'll be going thru between 10 and 11 so I hope its good at that time.

2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

Thanks everyone for your tips. I drove thru today on I10 and sailed right on thru, being it Sunday not much traffic. The worst part of the trip was the wind, it was pretty much head on. Checked my mileage and only got 7mpg vs my normal 8.5 to 9. Checked the weather on my phone and it said it was blowning 31mph.

2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

Archived