ELI5: How does the 3G/4G WiFiRanger feature work?

Can someone please explain to me how the WiFiRanger 3G/4G feature works? I don't understand why I would bother getting something like a weBoost device in addition to the WiFiRanger if it handles 3G/4G signal range boosting? Or does it only pick up and not boost?

Right now on my purchase list I have...

- weBoost Drive 4G-M

- WiFiRanger Elite Pack FM

Thoughts? Feedback?

I'm not 100% sure but I would think it has that feature so it can pull the signal from your phone. i would think that the Wifi Ranger is a MUCH stronger unit when it comes to sharing signals and getting a signal to you over just your phone. I'm going to have a Ranger Sky put on my unit. This way you could capture a free signal or use your phone as the data source. Plus and I'm not sure again, your Wifi Ranger could have a hardware firewall built into it protecting your components better.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

Certainly not an expert and hopefully those that are like Jack Mayer and Technomadia will correct anything I get wrong. My understanding of the WFR products as owner of a Go2 is that it will use a cellular 3G or 4G source (modem, tethered cellphone or hotspot) for access to the internet and create a WIFI hotspot that can be used as your local network hub and a hardwired router. It does not amplify the Cellular signal and does not improve cellular connectivity. It likely has a more powerful radio than a phone or hotspot so may increase the distance that the wifi signal to a computer can be received over that of a phone or mifi hotspot. The WFR Elite, Mobile and Boost devices are/were devices for improving capture of WIFI signals. The Wilson WeBoost is an amplifier for Cellular signals.

The one that dies with the most toys is still dead!

Can someone please explain to me how the WiFiRanger 3G/4G feature works? I don't understand why I would bother getting something like a weBoost device in addition to the WiFiRanger if it handles 3G/4G signal range boosting? Or does it only pick up and not boost?

Right now on my purchase list I have...

- weBoost Drive 4G-M

- WiFiRanger Elite Pack FM

Thoughts? Feedback?

WIFI ranger only does wifi signals. No comment about getting a Weboost ,You can do better! LOL

Keeping You Connected

Proud Commercial Member #129 http://www.maximumsignal.net/

Certainly not an expert and hopefully those that are like Jack Mayer and Technomadia will correct anything I get wrong. My understanding of the WFR products as owner of a Go2 is that it will use a cellular 3G or 4G source (modem, tethered cellphone or hotspot) for access to the internet and create a WIFI hotspot that can be used as your local network hub and a hardwired router. It does not amplify the Cellular signal and does not improve cellular connectivity. It likely has a more powerful radio than a phone or hotspot so may increase the distance that the wifi signal to a computer can be received over that of a phone or mifi hotspot. The WFR Elite, Mobile and Boost devices are/were devices for improving capture of WIFI signals.

Correct, WiFiRanger products do not in any way amplify cellular signals.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

WIFI ranger only does wifi signals. No comment about getting a Weboost ,You can do better! LOL

I've been researching online and I'm not seeing anything with higher ratings. Some say they can get slightly better signal boost but aren't reliable and easy to use. I don't need to be messing with it all the time, I want something that gets setup and just works.

Edit: If you are referring to the Max Signal one.. I'd have purchased it if they weren't out of stock. So I'm not sure I can do better...

I've been researching online and I'm not seeing anything with higher ratings. Some say they can get slightly better signal boost but aren't reliable and easy to use. I don't need to be messing with it all the time, I want something that gets setup and just works.

Edit: If you are referring to the Max Signal one.. I'd have purchased it if they weren't out of stock. So I'm not sure I can do better...

It just got approved by FCC after a 25 month fight Technomadia will be doing actual field test . We are just waiting for parts so we can produce prototypes. Actual product should be available in 4 weeks.

Keeping You Connected

http://www.rvmobileinternet.com/ is Technomadia's website on this subject and their book, The Mobile Internet Handbook, will educate you so you can figure out what you want and what is available. The ebook is $7.99 and well worth the cost.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

• 1 month later...

Gord,

Any updates on the release?

I still don't see a way to order it. Any chance you can get me on the order list? Or as a beta tester?

We already have our advanced testers . Pre sales being taken now. Just waiting on all the parts so we can build production units

Keeping You Connected

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks TCW,

I've read all those posts already and I've been to the above web sites.

None of them answer the question of which is "best" and always encourage the person doing the buying to figure out what is "best" for them. When I said "best" I simply meant best for me. I appreciate all their efforts to share their findings but they all sing the same song in the end. It's information overload and nobody really takes the time to "dumb" it down for anyone. Not that I'm looking for anyone to "dumb" it down for me. Just saying they aren't the best resources for helping people decide what to do. Anyone that's not familiar with this process can spend days reading and still not understand what they are reading.

Unfortunately, I don't have a good alternative to send people to myself, so it's still the best we've got...

When you are looking for the "best" answer....it is only "best" it you decide it is the "best"!

You are being a bit hard on all these kind folks

that have been nothing but helpful. I think you need to decide what is "best" and get on with it.

And I bet your "best" is only good enough until you find a better "best".

I really get a bit "steamed" when you ask a question but don't understand or "like" the answer!

We all hope to make the "best" decision the first time around but sometimes we have to make the "best" decision on our second or third try....

I wish you lots of luck in making the "best" decision the first time around.....

Just sayin.....

None of them answer the question of which is "best" and always encourage the person doing the buying to figure out what is "best" for them. When I said "best" I simply meant best for me.

We certainly understand the information overload - there's a lot of it out there, and lot to take in. We do our best to provide generalized educational content to make it a bit easier to understand. Our free Mobile Internet Overview article & Video is just about as 'dumbed down' as we can get it.

In the end however, what products and setup are best really does come down as to what is best for YOU. Without getting to personally access your needs in terms of internet reliability, travel style, technical comfort levels and budget (which takes quite an investment in time) - it's difficult for anyone to suggest what is best for you.

A lot of us offer resources so that you can make your own informed decisions - from our articles, book and lots of guides & reviews on RVMobileInternet.com.

We also offer a mobile internet advising service for folks who would like us to evaluate their situation and come up with a shopping list. If you'd like to set up a session, information is on the site. We do an initial interview to understand your needs, chat by phone/video chat for 30-45 minutes to understand your goals & answer questions and write up a solid list of product & plan recommendations to create your personalized mobile internet arsenal... and provide an outlet for continued follow-up questions.

- Cherie

Cherie & Chris (and Kiki *meow*) / Personal Blog: Technomadia.com
Technomads (technology enabled nomads) since 2006

Our Nomadic Fleet:
RVs:
Zephyr: 1961 GM 4106 bus conversion / Blooper: 2020.5 Winnebago Travato GL Boat: Y-Not: 1999 Bayliner 4788

Hosts of the Mobile Internet Resource Center
Mobile Internet Information for RVers, Cruisers & Nomads
Proud to be recognized as Escapee's Commercial Partners #773 / Escapees RVOU Instructors

...I've read all those posts already and I've been to the above web sites...None of them answer the question of which is "best" and always encourage the person doing the buying to figure out what is "best" for them. When I said "best" I simply meant best for me...

Unfortunately, I don't think anyone but you can tell you what is best for you. To some, best is the most economical. There are two examples of that in the previous posts linked to. For others, best is the easiest to setup and use. In that regard, the WIFI Ranger products or the Rogue Wave CPE/router kit may be the answer. If you only want/need to connect one device to wifi, then some of the plug and play wifi extenders like the Alfa unit discussed in one of the posts may be a good choice.

I chose the WFR router because it simplifies the setup of Ubiquity CPEs; integrates the use of wifi, cellular, and even a hardwired modem; creates a hotspot for the connection of multiple devices and has LAN ports to connect wired devices. I chose the Ubiquity NanoStation because of its signal capture capability and relatively low cost. I have absolutely no idea what is best for you.

Without knowing your SPECIFIC requirements no one can even attempt to tell you what is "best". The only way I know of to do that is 1) Acquire enough information on your own to make the determination. That is difficult, since even network professionals have a "hard time" deciding what is best sometimes. 2) Pay someone to interview you, work through the solutions and do a best fit for your CURRENT needs as described by you.

ALL the solutions that I know of have tradeoffs. Without knowing what EXACTLY you wish to accomplish it is impossible to match the tradeoffs to your requirements to prevent an obvious mistake.

I would venture that paying Chris and Cherie for a consulting session would be money well spent in the long run.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

The original intent of this post wasn't to get feedback on what I should buy. It was to try and get an explanation of the differences between the two devices and understand how the features work.

ELI5 means Explain Like I'm 5 years old. It started off okay with getting basic explanations of what the devices do and that was the main thing I was looking for.

I then started to get links to the sites that go in a lot of depth. My comments weren't directed at them not providing valuable information to the community. Instead I was trying, poorly on my part, to point out that the information is a lot more than a 5 yo could understand. I can't find anywhere that really talks about "how the feature works" in a way a 5 year old could understand.

FYI, part of me asking this question was so I could figure out a simpler way to explain what these devices do and how they work to my children. Sorry if people think I'm being harsh on Jack and Technomadia, I'm not trying to be.

I understand this stuff well enough to know what I'm looking for. I don't understand it well enough to break it down into terms my children can understand. I was hoping someone in the community might be able to.

...ELI5 means Explain Like I'm 5 years old...

It would have helped if you would have explained that in the beginning as I had no Idea what it meant and just ignored it. Could have saved me some time responding and you time reading and chastising those that don't speak in acronyms and tweet/text language.

Archived