Our new 2017 DRV MS 40KSSB4

Chad Heiser

Chad,

We were at Rolling Retreats this week and saw your beautiful new rig, Very nice.

Hope we get to see the battery and solar setup some day.

Roger

That's not fair! ;) Thanks for the compliment. It's definitely hard to wait to go get it. I'm happy to show and explain my installs any time (I just need the trailer to actually get the stuff installed).

How long are you going to be in the area of Rolling Retreats? Are you there for service or a purchase?

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chad,

Nice rig and enjoy. We picked up our 40KSSB4 just just before Christmas. Our punch list is now 48 times long of which the dealer fixed one. Go at RVs for Less. Hindsight is 20/20. Should have gotten at Rolling Retreats to Kansas RV Center. It would have been right before we picked it up.

We have the CheapHeat installed. Have had some issues with it. Talked to Larry at RV Comfort Systems and determined the issue to be DRVs piss poor ductwork install. Looking at your install it looks like your six inch duct is towards the front which will give better airflow over the thermal sensor and won't cut your heat off. Ours has the two four inch ducts on the front and one it not both is crushed limiting air flow over the thermal.

Chad,

Nice rig and enjoy. We picked up our 40KSSB4 just just before Christmas. Our punch list is now 48 times long of which the dealer fixed one. Go at RVs for Less. Hindsight is 20/20. Should have gotten at Rolling Retreats to Kansas RV Center. It would have been right before we picked it up.

We have the CheapHeat installed. Have had some issues with it. Talked to Larry at RV Comfort Systems and determined the issue to be DRVs piss poor ductwork install. Looking at your install it looks like your six inch duct is towards the front which will give better airflow over the thermal sensor and won't cut your heat off. Ours has the two four inch ducts on the front and one it not both is crushed limiting air flow over the thermal.

Sorry to hear about your issues with your trailer. I'm hoping our choice to buy from Rolling Retreats will pay off along those lines. They definitely take pride in their PDI and service before delivery. I will also be spending several days at Rolling Retreats when I pick up the trailer. I will be putting all the trailer systems through their paces and make sure everything works before I ever leave their lot.

2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)

event.png    

That's not fair! ;) Thanks for the compliment. It's definitely hard to wait to go get it. I'm happy to show and explain my installs any time (I just need the trailer to actually get the stuff installed).

How long are you going to be in the area of Rolling Retreats? Are you there for service or a purchase?

We was there for service and Slade got us fixed up in one day, left on Thursday and headed for home.

Roger

GCTaaehl.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Chad, any updates??

My dad is flying in this afternoon and he and I are making a road trip to pick up the trailer. We leave Tuesday morning. We will be at Rolling Retreats by the end of the week or sooner depending on weather. Can't wait. We will stay at Rolling Retreats through next Monday or so to properly test all systems and then head home.

event.png    

Drive safe! Let us know how the unit is and first impressions.

Thanks. I definitely will.

event.png    

Loooooong day of driving today. I am in Flagstaff for the night. I will hit the road again in the morning and should be sleeping in the new trailer tomorrow night.

event.png    

Loooooong day of driving today. I am in Flagstaff for the night. I will hit the road again in the morning and should be sleeping in the new trailer tomorrow night.

You need to give Slade some hard time, he's broke down with his Ford F-450, lost the high pressure pump delivering a new unit.

He told me he needs a HDT and now he knows why.

Roger

GCTaaehl.jpg

Maybe you can hook up with him and help him out in his breakdown, and reduce the final bill.

Roger

We pulled in around 8:00 pm local time. Do you know where Slade is broken down?

event.png    

I can't wait to see that beauty. Did you have to route around I-80? We are so sick of snow up here! Hopefully the weather will cooperate on your way back.

I took the southern route. We went down 99 to 58. We went up and over Tehachapi pass to I40 and stayed on I40 the rest of the way. Weather wise it was a pretty unremarkable trip. Once we got to Bakersfield the weather cleared up and was perfect the whole rest of the way.

event.png    

It was a little shorter leg today. Not nearly as looong as yesterday. The trailer was all set up with the lights, TV's, fireplace, etc. left on and welcoming us. The trailer is awesome. I'm super happy with it. I'll spend the next few days going through everything, but so far so good from my initial cursory look. I can't wait to get it home and get started on the solar.

On edit, I was so excited about the trailer I forgot to mention the little bit of excitement I had as I entered Oklahoma. The Oklahoma weighstation on I 40 eastbound as you cross the state line had signs saying all trucks must stop. I kept right on going and a short distance later had some blue lights flashing in my mirror. I pulled off the interstate at the next exit a short distance ahead and waited for the officer to approach. I watched him as he walked up. He looked a little confused by the simple hauler bed I have on my "RV". Then I watched him read the "Recreational Vehicle Not for Hire" signage I have on the cab. When he finally got up to my door, he simply asked for my registration (by then I knew he just wanted to confirm I wasn't registered commercially or as a private truck). I handed him my reg card. He saw the RV registration and apologized for the inconvenience and sent me on my way.

event.png    

I believe he is Raton New Mexico.

I found out this afternoon, someone else was able to help him out. Hopefully he will make it back here before I have to leave.

event.png    

I was able to get the batteries installed today. I also got my PT-100 mounted and my new Magnum 1012 inverter mounted (to run the refrigerator while traveling). I got most of the wiring done, but I didn't start the project until late so I didn't get it done before dark. Man I am missing my shop with lights and a nice concrete floor to work in. I should finish up all the wiring tomorrow. Once I do I will take some pictures and post them.

event.png    

I was able to get pretty much everything finished and installed today. I still have a few odds and ends to add when I get home, but all the heavy lifting is done. Here is a link to some pictures.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BypMhjRfrAf1T1hsR2xNbUlYX0U

The mock up folder shows the stuff I pre built before heading to Rolling Retreats.

The stock battery compartment folder is where the factory battery used to be. Now it houses my house positive and negative bus bars, my on/off switches, my two inverter catastrophe fuses and my Magnum 1012 inverter. The large on off switch kills all 12v power to the trailer. The small on off switch shuts off the solar array before the charge controller. (I don't have any panels installed yet. Those will get put on when I get home.)

The basement folder shows my new batteries, the boxes I built to cover them, the Magnum PT-100 charge controller, etc. if you want to see what it used to look like you can go to my original link of photos in this thread.

event.png    

Thanks for the compliments. I would like to cover the boxes with the same material the walls are covered in, but I'm not sure I'll be able to get it from DRV or not. I painted them black ahead of time just in case the material doesn't pan out. I've got a little touch up to do on the paint from all the banging around I did getting everything set up and put together. I plan to build one more box to extend the platform all the way to the other side of the basement, but I didn't have that last dimension to build it ahead of time. I'm going to put some type of lip on the long center box and that will be used to store my four folding chairs. The square box top will be set up to hold my Weber Q grill.

I still need to run ground wires from the PT-100 and the 1012 to frame (I didn't bring any solid copper wire with me). I also need to install the remote switch for the 1012 in my control center. I'm going to run a 12 gauge extension cord from the plug on the 1012 to just behind my panel boxes. It will be wired into a Magnum transfer switch (http://www.magnum-dimensions.com/sites/default/files/MagDocs/64-0064-Rev-A-CSW-TS15-Web.pdf). The refrigerator circuit will get moved from the sub panel box to the AC out of the transfer switch. I will run a new wire from the sub panel to the AC in side of the transfer switch. I wanted to get that done while I was here, but my transfer switch shipment got delayed due to weather and didn't arrive before I left. Another project for when I get home.

event.png    

Another trailer related update. I had the Truma instant hot water heater installed from the factory. I am super happy with it so far. It works great. When showering (we have power only here at Rolling Retreats), I've been taking navy showers and shutting off the shower head while lathering etc. In my last trailer, when I turned the shower head back on, I would have to run the water a few seconds before the hot water would start flowing again. With the Truma, the second I turn the shower head back on I have hot water, no lag time. That plus the fact it is endless hot water have made me a believer.

event.png    

Like a kid on Christmas morning......Couldn't even get it home before the mods started!

Exactly right!

event.png    

Archived