• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#41 2gypsies

2gypsies

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 12:30 AM

Our card has been checked at the entry booth by their computer, most recently at Chiricahua Nat'l Monument in Arizona - a small park.

Full-timed for 16 Years
. . . Back in S&B Again

Traveled in a 2004  Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome

#42 nana25k

nana25k

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 4,224 posts
  • SKP#:97338

Posted 10 January 2017 - 08:15 AM

There is no name on the pass (except where you write in on the back in pencil).  Just a number.  I'm not sure if the number relates to a name in the database, but you would need computer connect at entrance to that database if it does.

The pass is "supposed" to be signed in pen by the recipient at the point of sale in front of the issuer. When issuing the pass my signature on the control form indicates my certifying that I in fact verified to whom I sold/ issued the pass too. That is why copies of picture ID are sent in when ordering via mail. ( an iffy process at best and the copies are destroyed immediately.)
There is no methodology for any of the issuing agencies to enter the info into any computer "data base" because it doesn't exist. However the " control sheets" are part of the record keeping process and must be kept in the office files for 10 years.
Each fiscal year the new passes received by the agency are recorded by number and old ones destroyed.

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

#43 nana25k

nana25k

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 4,224 posts
  • SKP#:97338

Posted 10 January 2017 - 08:20 AM

Our card has been checked at the entry booth by their computer, most recently at Chiricahua Nat'l Monument in Arizona - a small park.

I'm not sure what computer they used. There is no data base for the info to be entered into. It's all paper recording and the records are kept at the issuing office under lock and key.
In other words if I issue a pass at say an NWR there is no computer data base for me to enter it into. Since it an interagency pass all agencies would need to be connected to each other via a data base that doesn't exist.

If I had to guess they were only scanning it for the purpose of " counting heads" as they come in the door

Edited by nana25k, 10 January 2017 - 08:21 AM.

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

#44 Barbaraok

Barbaraok

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 8,850 posts
  • SKP#:90761

Posted 10 January 2017 - 09:05 AM

Saying it is suppose to be signed in front of the issuer is a lot different than what the actual practice is.  We each got ours at a National Park, and because of the line of people going in, it was a "that will be the ten dollars - here's your pass, have a good day" type of transaction.  They did verify our age from our drivers license, that was it.   When checking into a campground using the pass often they never asked to see it - just verify that we've already paid and in we go, though I always have it in hand just in case.  And often times, it is Dave's card and not mine. 

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2004 Subaru Forester toad (Mischief)
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

#45 2gypsies

2gypsies

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 11:46 AM

I don't recall now if they asked for our driver's license along with the Senior Pass. Perhaps they did and they were comparing the two names. I really didn't pay close attention to what they were doing with the card but they did have it in their hands a longer time than some of the manned booths we've gone through.

Full-timed for 16 Years
. . . Back in S&B Again

Traveled in a 2004  Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome

#46 Roamer

Roamer

• Validated Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 09:44 AM

I'm frankly shocked that anyone would complain about a lifetime national parks pass that costs $80.

That's one tank of gas in a full-size pickup truck.

All those of you who are old enough to buy a senior pass can still do so for just $10. So go buy one.

It will be younger generations like myself who will be required to pay the higher fee once we're old enough to buy the pass. And I would happily pay $80 for it. That's a screamin' deal. But I have 10 more years to go until I'm eligible -- and I would wager money now that it will go up in price again before then. 

So please, enjoy what you have. 

Lodestar Knife & Tool

Artisan maker of knives and other tools for the outdoors, the kitchen, the road.

2001 Dodge Ram 2500 QC LB, 5.9L diesel HO, 6spd manual trans, 2wd

#47 GeorgiaHybrid

GeorgiaHybrid

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 769 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 10:40 AM

I only have two years to go and think it is a fantastic deal at $80. I also wouldn't mind if the camping fee was only a 20 or 25 percent discount. You are still getting an incredible deal for the money.

2017 Kenworth T680

2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites

2016 Smart Prime

#48 Stekay

Stekay

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 549 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 09:25 AM

In my opinion, the National Parks are the greatest places to drop anchor for a week or two, at any price.  Think of some of the dumps they call RV campgrounds you have no problem paying $30+ a night to stop overnight in...

SKP #131740

#49 bigjim

bigjim

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2,389 posts
  • SKP#:46429

Posted 15 January 2017 - 12:02 PM

Most of this we are viewing in terms of camping but a vast number of folks are local users. Most have not problem covering the fees but there are some that could be burdened by the fees.  That is one reason I liked the idea of not having it all up front in some cases. I believe most will go all in at once but the option is good to have.  On the forest  I volunteer at the most  there are not developed camping areas except for 2 group camps that are rentals. They even have district only pass for $30 for your vehicle. If they can walk in there is no fee. But who is going walk 30 or more miles to access it so I see it as bit of a gimmick.  I am all for supporting the infrastructure but I like to see is options for those less financially secure.  I think many forests and maybe other areas like NP, COE, etc. have some free days during the year like National Trails day but the problem is getting the word out and whether it will conflict with people having to work or be in school.  There is one easy answer but for sure we need to do something to keep things up.