No-Fee Checking/ATM Account

Ron

Many people already have accounts with no-fee checking and free ATM access through a credit union or bank. But for those who may not qualify for one of those free accounts WalMart will soon be offering an option that looks pretty attractive. You can read about it here and see if it might work for you.

Ron Engelsman

http://www.mytripjournal.com/our_odyssey

Full-Timing since mid 2007

23' Komfort TT

2004 Chevy Avalanche 4x4 8.1L

Ron,

Are you getting a kickback from Walmart Corp? First the Sam's Club credit card & now this. :lol:

Just kidding. Thanks for providing the info.

If a reliable company is offering a lower price service, then it makes good sense to switch.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

Ron,

Are you getting a kickback from Walmart Corp? First the Sam's Club credit card & now this. :lol:

Just kidding. Thanks for providing the info.

If a reliable company is offering a lower price service, then it makes good sense to switch.

Well in full disclosure I guess I should have noted that I do own stock in WalMart but I don't suspect my posts here will move their stock by even a "nano-cent"! But I sure do like the company; they let me park overnight for free all over the country, they sell me almost all the day-to-day stuff I need for less than I can purchase it anywhere else without going to a lot of effort, and they send me a nice dividend check every month - what's not to like!

Ron Engelsman

23' Komfort TT

We use Ally bank which offers free no-fee checking AND you can use any ATM anywhere in the world with any fee and they will always reimburse that fee. Wonder if WallMart's deal will beat that?

2007 Arctic Fox 32.5 rls for full-timing, now sold.

2014 Sunnybrook Sunset Creek 267rl for the local campgrounds now that we are off the road
2007 Silverado 2500 diesel

Loving Green Valley, AZ (just South of Tucson)

Let us not shoot someone that shares information. Before we jump on a person with a stick, we might want to KNOW

what we are talking about. Let us not depend on the KOOL Aid.

Do some research on WalMart and their hiring and promotion policies.

They provide a service that most of us are not aware of in screening new hires. Stop and ask a manager about how

many of these skillless hires make it past the first week.

THEN ask about their promotion policy.

I have no stock in their company, but shop with them when I can!

Safe Travels!

SKP #89742 - Lifetime membership - Member of the SKP Class of 2007
Good Sam Club - Lifetime Member
DataStorm #5423
Passport America - Lifetime Member
Sons Of The American Revolution (SAR) - Lifetime Member
American Legion - USAF - Lifetime Member
Rotary Club Member - 30 years

Escapee CARE Supporter

National Wildlife Refuge Volunteer

We use Ally bank which offers free no-fee checking AND you can use any ATM anywhere in the world with any fee and they will always reimburse that fee. Wonder if WallMart's deal will beat that?

That looks like a very good option for some folks also. Slightly different terms and benefits that may make one or the other more suited to a particular person's situation. The Walmart account is pretty up-front about approving anyone regardless of past credit history; not sure about the Ally account. Also compare the fees for overdrafts and money transfers if those are relevant.

Ron Engelsman

23' Komfort TT

Let us not shot someone that shares information. Before we jump on a person with a stick we might want to KNOW what we are talking about, and not just depend on the KOOL Aid. Do some research on Wall*Mart and their hiring and promotion policies.

They provide a service that most of us are not aware of in screening new hires. Stop and ask a manager about how many of these skill less hires make it past the first week.

Then ask about their promotion policy.

I have no stock in their company, but shop with them when I can!

Safe Travels!

All of the above are reasons that I have a lot of RESPECT for Walmart and am proud to be a part-owner of the company in a very tiny way. They provide OPPORTUNITIES for many people who have no more-attractive options available. We live in a free country where no one is forced to work for any particular employer. Walmart has more employees than any other public company in the World and all 2.2 million of them applied for the job and accepted the job by their own free will.

There was a time in my life when I could not even find a job that paid minimum wage. I've worked at jobs that paid less than minimum wage when the laws were more lax - and I was very glad to have those jobs. At that point in my life I would have been thrilled to get a job at a place like Walmart with the comparative wages and benefits they offer.

A week ago I entered a Walmart and was greeted by a older man in a wheel chair with one leg. He sure looked as if he was happy and enjoyed his job. About a month ago I was greeted at Walmart by a young lady in a wheelchair who obviously had serious handicaps. But she was very cheerful and seemed to be very happy with her job. Yesterday I was in Sam's Club looking for an item and was assisted by a middle aged man in a wheelchair.

I also enjoy shopping at Costco and I admire their success as a company. For the most part they are serving a different clientele than WalMart and even Sam's Club to some extent. Costco and WalMart have both been very successful but they've found different paths to success. There's nothing wrong with that - it's called capitalism, which is far from perfect but is still the best system mankind has found to provide the best overall standard of living for the greatest number of people. I'd say that this is my opinion but it's more than obvious and easily proven to anyone with an open mind.

But if you're "down & out", looking for an entry level job so you can get back on your feet, or perhaps have a handicap that severely limits your job prospects - don't waste your time applying for a job at Costco.

On Edit: This post of mine and that of StarDreamers might now look a little out of place in this thread. Both were posted in response to a post by another forum member; a post which has since been removed from the thread.

Ron Engelsman

23' Komfort TT

Another possibility is Capital One. Their free checking provides refunds on ATM charges, .2% APY. Their credit card is also useful - 1% cash back & no transaction fees (and good exchange rates) for purchases in Canada.

150150.jpg.30f49e1e712c4af11a1e8f523a24f5d1.jpg

Travel photos RV Blogs Journals & Travelogues at:
http://www.lakeshoreimages.com
My Travel Blog - Jon's Journeys

Another possibility is Capital One. Their free checking provides refunds on ATM charges, .2% APY. Their credit card is also useful - 1% cash back & no transaction fees (and good exchange rates) for purchases in Canada.

That looks like another great option. CapitalOne received a strong endorsement from Chis & Cherie at Technoadia in this post. That post also has a lot of other good information related to the financial side of life for us nomads.

Ron Engelsman

23' Komfort TT

• 3 weeks later...

We use Schwab checking. There are no fees and they refund all ATM fees, so it doesn't matter what ATM you use. They also treat their checking account like a credit card and if there are fraudulent charges, they will not leave you hanging. There are no foreign transaction fees. So we have used the card to get money out of an ATM in Panama, Canda, the UK and Ireland. They reimbursed all the ATM fees and did not charge us for converting the funds. I also love the fact that I can deposit checks by taking a picture of the front and back of the check on my iPhone and within a couple days, the funds are available in my account. Awesome customer service.. PS. I don't represent or work for Schwab. I am just a happy customer.

Traveling Dreamers Ross and Kathy

• 8 months later...

Interesting the comments on Walmart - whatever else, the fact is that they have put more small business's out of business than any company in history. They are now all over but back when they started to expand, they went into a typical small town with a downtown and the small shops and within 2 years all the shops were gone and those shop owners were working at Walmart - for very low wages.

Walmart used to be the best deal in town for most anything but today one needs to watch what they are buying as this in not the case any more.

Seems we Americans will sell the country to save a few pennies. - jb

Alliant Credit Union is free checking and about as good as one can get. Escapees membership qualify one also. I avoid Wal Mart as much as I can. Too long lines. Too may people. etc. Not saying I never use them just avoid. They normally don't carry our coffee either. That is definitely a deal killer.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Archived