Is it Cheaper to live in a House or RV?

Bob52

Guest David & Lorna Schinske

It's cheaper for us to live in the bus than in the house we used to own in TN. Living in a residential vehicle means we can move our "house" when we move. I find he idea of living in a house, stuck in one place, claustrophobic.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For us, cheaper in the RV, no doubt about it. If we had kept the golf-course condo we would not have been able to retire. Even before we retired and were parked in a $600/mo park, things were way cheaper.

Now we are retired and spend some time volunteering at State Parks and working in Yellowstone. We live very comfortably on less than 25% of what we did before.

Happy Trails!!

-- Kevin

The richest are not those who have the most, but those who need the least.

It simply depends upon what you use to compare. If you compare a modest RV to the cost of a house in an expensive area, then the RV will probably be less costly. But you may well look for less costly RV parks to stay in, especially when compared to the neighborhood in which you once lived in a house. In our all summer trip last year we paid as little as $9/night when staying in a COE park several times, and we also paid $74/night when on the California coast, just below the bay area. We once saw a park in Florida where the monthly rate for the basic sites was $2400. Just as where you live and what you life in plays a major role in the cost of living with a house, that same thing is true for living in an RV.

A little trick that I learned many years ago that helps me to save money by traveling in an RV is that when I compare the cost per night, I do not compare the cost per night in an RV park to that of staying in the Motel 6. Instead I stay in my RV rather than a Hilton Hotel, so that the savings per night is far greater! :P

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

• 4 weeks later...

You also might want to check through the states you are traveling through. It sounds like you will have a truck tow vehicle, a 5th wheel camper, then a "toad" behind the camper. most states would consider this a double, and it might not be legal to do so in every state you travel through. I believe Oregon does not allow this, and there are probably others as well. Just something to think about.

GS Lifetime #822128658, FMCA #F431170

2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Extended Class B

OK, personal preferences aside maybe stepping back and looking at this as a small number of big blocks instead of a lot of feel goods, stresses and one ups....

First, the mention of the word "investment" immediately removes everything that has to have a vehicle license plate on it. What's left is all real property based choices. The one exception might be a hybrid by buying a lot to put an RV on and then, at least the real property might offset a little of the overall depreciation of the movable property.

Second, lifestyle aside, choices limited by necessary geography carry more limitations for RV living than real properties because of things like Zoning, local prejudices and local tax corrals to control the presence of RVs of every sort. Being able to move your home within a necessary geographical area may be possible but the whimsy of it all may be seriously unfun because of local law.

Finally, cheaper is not necessarily better if doing it demands a personal rigor of choice that kills the personal joy of the anticipated freedom.

I will say that in big block terms we look at the daily RV life experience as having 2 financial components:

1. those that are necessary whether sitting still or traveling.

2. and those that only occur due to relocations, ie. fuel and vehicle maintenance costs.

No moving, whether by living in an RV or a fixed structure, means less expense... unless local cost of living goes up and up. A fixed structure means just tolerating it. A movable structure means the possibility of a relocation economic escape with some single time moving costs. Remember, owning real estate means it also owns you. Be sure you can stand that because changing one's mind in the short term probably means expenses beyond either choice and a negative return on investment.

RVBuddys Journal Our progress into full-timing.
Budd & Merrily ===-> SKP# 088936 Other Websites:---> Hub of all my blogs
Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise

Electric bill in sticks and bricks in South Florida, 6 yeras ago: $ 300.00 per month. Our electric bill last month in RV using three elctric heaters most nights: $67.00 You do the math.

Camping Rig:

2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins

2006 Outback 27 RSDS

Two rescue dogs: A Catahoula mix & a Chihuahua mix.

Fulltimer since 2006

Arctic Fox camper is an all seasons camper and many are using them below freezing....some down to 0F. With a truck camper you could also pull an enclosed utility trailer that could work as your storage unit.....generator, extra propane tanks, fresh water bottles, small work bench, tools, etc. and could be/is done by a single guy affordably.

You might also find a decent truck and just get a small Arctic Fox TT. That way you could unhook it and leave it sit while driving the truck. You can use the truck (with camper shell) to haul/store things in.

Sounds like you just need to do the research and decide how frugly you can live while traveling from place to place.

To get the camper tie downs put on a truck you don't want an RV dealership but instead a good RV Service shop. Check around your area, google it, check craigslit.....ask at RV sales lots for a good independent service shop. Eventually you'll end up with one or two that are recommended over all the others.

You might also want to go to the Arctic Fox owners forum (not associated with the factory) to see what's for sale.

2017 Grand Design Momentum 376TH pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, dually, longbed

Having done both, I can say with near certainty that it will cost about the same for most people. The differences are in the categories of spending but your new expenditures will probably balance out those that you no longer have. I do believe that you have a lot more control over how much you spend when living in an RV. After all, you could boondock all the time and never spend anything for campground fees.

RVing since 1994
2000 Born Free 24RB Class C
6.8L Ford V-10 Engine, E450 Chassis

We have a S&B up North and we spend the winters where it is warm mostly Florida, We split the time nearly even with 6 months up and six months down. There are many variables.Our S&B expenses are low in terms of Mortgage/property taxes, etc. Our utility bills in the winter up North are also minimal.

we do not do spread sheets to show the difference but it is my opinion that living in the RV would be less expensive.The S&B expenses such as property taxes, mortgage, Insurance although at a Minimum would not have to be paid.

We however choose not to full time or to not have a S&B.This was part of our lifestyle planning and it works well for us.This is a nice roomy 5th wheel we have a very nice lot in Florida and our winter expenses are reasonable. We are very comfortable in the 5th wheel however we really do enjoy being able to stretch out in our 2,200 SF tri level among friends a family for 6 months.We will also not have to purchase at some point a S&B somewhere when we can no longer live this lifestyle.

This is our lifestyle only and your life style and choices are just fine.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

My rent and electric bill total about $1045/ month. That amounts to $12,540/year. I believe that for a bit more, I can live fill time in my motorhome. That will include all living expenses including food. Hope my calculations are correct, for I am gone this summer.

I wish that I could live on $12,540 per year and I would like to know how you do it?

The motorhome must be paid for? How much do you put away each month for repairs, maintance,

replacement and insurance? What do you do for health insurance, medicare plus? You must not travel much

as fuel cost must be low. It would be nice if you provided us with your planed monthly budget?

I wish that I could live on $12,540 per year and I would like to know how you do it?

The motorhome must be paid for? How much do you put away each month for repairs, maintance,

replacement and insurance? What do you do for health insurance, medicare plus? You must not travel much

as fuel cost must be low. It would be nice if you provided us with your planed monthly budget?

I think you need to reread his post. The $12,500 is just RENT & ELECTRIC for a year in a S&B..

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

Lots of people live on that little. You just have to be willing to do what it takes.

Here's one guy doing it: http://www.tosimplify.net/2011/10/clarifying-budget.html

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

I think you need to reread his post.

My rent and electric bill total about $1045/ month. That amounts to $12,540/year. I believe that for a bit more, I can live fill time in my motorhome. That will include all living expenses including food.

There are major differences in surviving in an RV for little expense and enjoying life while living your dream. I do believe that it may be possible to survive on that amount but I do not believe that most people would be able to live in much comfort or have much fun. With fuel costs well above $3/gallon, you won't do a lot of travel and you won't stay in RV parks or campgrounds very often. :huh:

There are major differences in surviving in an RV for little expense and enjoying life while living your dream. I do believe that it may be possible to survive on that amount but I do not believe that most people would be able to live in much comfort or have much fun. With fuel costs well above $3/gallon, you won't do a lot of travel and you won't stay in RV parks or campgrounds very often.

So the people in the community they have named Retirement Cove of like-minded folks who live at Quartzsite all season and who host the weekly jam sessions are not having fun? Could have fooled me. How about the community just across the wash that hosts the Sunday morning services? Do you think they hate it there? Is that why they come back year after year and posts their signs about the church service week after week? I've said it before and I will likely say it again; there are lots of right ways of fulltiming. Just because their dream doesn't match your dream does not make them wrong.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

In 1984 I took off in a new GMC diesel pickup, $14,000 out the door. I installed an older Coachman slide on and took off for five years.

I realize that everything cost more today than 30 years ago, and my budget will be much higher, but I feel that by eliminating some expenses that I am presently incurring with my present lifestyle, my expenses will be greatly reduced.

I don't plan on denying myself anything that is necessary.

Just remember,

"You can't always get what you want, but if you try some time you just might find, you get what you need."

All I asked is what would your budget look like? If you don't want to say,

that is fine, if you feel that it is none of my business, that is ok. I was just interested in how

you plan to get by on $1,045 and a bit more? I know that I would not be able to do so.

Those words from the Rolling Stones song are near and dear to me, thank you for that.

I am not trying to judge anyone or say that it can't be done. I just wanted to know how you plan to do it on that monthly

budget.

I've said it before and I will likely say it again; there are lots of right ways of fulltiming. Just because their dream doesn't match your dream does not make them wrong.

If anyone said that there is only one way, it must have been you? Even so, I still don't see where you can support that those people can live all year on $12,540? How do you know that they would choose to be where they are if their budget were larger? While they no doubt live pretty cheaply, none of us know what they actually spend nor if they are where they are by choice.

Why don't you read what you quoted rather than just try and start a flame war? I did not say that anyone was not having fun, but question how many can live their dream on $1045 per month. You could start by publishing your annual expenses? ;)

There are some who live quite inexpensively in various ways, some of them in RVs. Most of us live pretty much on what we have available and if we are fortunate we manage to realize at least some of our dreams. I doubt that there are many on these forums who have unlimited budgets or even that would have no use for an increase in income if it were available. The secret to success is not to have everything you want but to find ways to be happy with what you have. On the surface, it would appear that at least some of the people that you point out are managing to do that, and there may even be a few who choose to live where and how they are and yet have extra funds available to them. That is great for them if it makes them happy, but unless you happen to want that same life you probably won't be happy managing on the income that those folks have or choose to live on. Very few on the forums would choose to live in that way, but if you are one of them, go for it and I wish you well.

I still doubt that there are many here who would be able to live their dream, on that small an income.

....I realize that everything costs more today than 30 years ago, and my budget will be much higher, but I feel that by eliminating some expenses that I am presently incurring with my present lifestyle, my expenses will be greatly reduced.

I don't plan on denying myself anything that is necessary......

Lots of people have budgets that are in the $2K-$4K range and are able to do most of the things they want to do. But $12K a year is right at the poverty line for one person and thus we are talking about subsistence level. Yes, there are people who do that and appear happy, but if that is ALL of the income they have, that is really subsistence living. And would you want to be living out in the desert around Q in the summer if you didn't have to?

Now we don't pay anywhere near $1045 for just 'rent and utilities' for any month. Our "rent" (ie, park costs) average around $450 a month and utilities (electric/propane/mail) is always less than $100. Of course, we don't stay in very cold or very hot areas, but chase that 70° mark, thus we have diesel fuel costs of $300 or so a month (some months more, some less). Then we have groceries, eating out, medical (Part B premiums and medications), wine purchases, maintenance costs, repairs, Long Term care policy premiums, car/RV insurance, gifts, cost for 2 cell phones, aircard, Direct TV, clothing, and so forth. So if all you are looking at is "rent" that really leaves a lot of things out of the calculations.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

One can live as cheaply as they want to or have to and that is fine for them.He said this "My rent and electric bill total about $1045/ month" we do not come close to that number for rent and utilities.We budget 600.00 per month and do not use that all up.We live in a RV and Golf resort in Florida.Lot and utilities. Last billing was 509.35.propane was 40.88 total 550.23.That is a long way from the 1045.00 he states and IMO that 1045.00 is a high figure.There are other expenses as we all know to consider and have been mentioned but he is not far off. It would take a bit more and he said that.He should be able to cut that 1045.00 per month number nearly in half and not boon dock at Quartzite.I think the guy is on the right track and might benefit from some constructive advise instead of the usual bickering

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

One can live as cheaply as they want to or have to and that is fine for them.He said this "My rent and electric bill total about $1045/ month" we do not come close to that number for rent and utilities.We budget 600.00 per month and do not use that all up.We live in a RV and Golf resort in Florida.Lot and utilities. Last billing was 509.35.propane was 40.88 total 550.23.That is a long way from the 1045.00 he states and IMO that 1045.00 is a high figure.There are other expenses as we all know to consider and have been mentioned but he is not far off. It would take a bit more and he said that.He should be able to cut that 1045.00 per month number nearly in half and not boon dock at Quartzite.I think the guy is on the right track and might benefit from some constructive advise instead of the usual bickering

But, that wouldn't be any fun. :rolleyes::lol:

Newt

2012 HitchHiker Discover America 345 LKSB

2009 Dodge/Cummins

LIVINGSTON TX

It is the "bit more" part that is the problem. Everyone's 'bit' is different. Thinking that just a couple of hundred dollars more a month will do it really won't be that much help. Thinking that $500-$600 more a month might be the right 'bit' to think about, especially if a solo traveler.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Archived