New Unlimited Data on Verizon

chirakawa

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Verizon Unlimited =
$80 for unlimited data, talk and text on your smartphone with paper-free billing and AutoPay.

$45 per line for four lines with unlimited data, talk and text on your smartphones and tablets with paper-free billing and AutoPay.

From what I can glean, current line fees seem to range from $10 (USB stick) to $40 (under contract phone).

Plus, there's this proviso . . .

"To ensure a quality experience for all customers, after 22 GB of data usage on a line during any billing cycle we may prioritize usage behind other customers in the event of network congestion." (ie, throttling)

So for 1 line you get a 22 GB plan for $125 ($80 data fee + $45 line fee) with up to 15 GB/mon (500 MB/day) of roaming in Mexico/Canada.

Currently, a 16 GB plan ("XL") is $110 ($90 data fee + $20 line fee) and a 24 GB plan ("XXL") is $130 ($110 data fee + $20 line fee).

This looks bad to me.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Without knowing how severe the throttling is, I think it is hard to make a judgement. I can tell you that the safe feature of the Verizon 16GB & 24GB plans will do email and texting and that is about it. Most webpages including weather take forever to load and may time out.

If you can live with the lesser coverage of the other carriers than they may be a better choice. If you are doing a lot of streaming of TV, then I think you need to compare the cost of cell phones with an adequate amount of data to the cost of satellite TV and a more modest data plan.

The one that dies with the most toys is still dead!

Verizon Unlimited =
$80 for unlimited data, talk and text on your smartphone with paper-free billing and AutoPay.

$45 per line for four lines with unlimited data, talk and text on your smartphones and tablets with paper-free billing and AutoPay.

From what I can glean, current line fees seem to range from $10 (USB stick) to $40 (under contract phone).

"To ensure a quality experience for all customers, after 22 GB of data usage on a line during any billing cycle we may prioritize usage behind other customers in the event of network congestion." (ie, throttling)

So for 1 line you get a 22 GB plan for $125 ($80 data fee + $45 line fee) with up to 15 GB/mon (500 MB/day) of roaming in Mexico/Canada.

Currently, a 16 GB plan ("XL") is $110 ($90 data fee + $20 line fee) and a 24 GB plan ("XXL") is $130 ($110 data fee + $20 line fee).

This looks bad to me.

You may be totally right on all counts, but I don't know how you "gleaned" that much information out of what very limited has been made public.

The way I read it is that for one line it is $80, with no mention of a line fee. For a four line family plan, it would be $180 per month. Just within the past couple of weeks, VZW came out with a 5 gb plan for $55 with no mention of a line fee, or 7 gb for $70. Later, VZW broke down the cost as $40 for the data, $20 for the line fee, and a $5 discount for autopay. This new $80 plan may indeed include the line fee.

As far as the prioritization after 22 gb, that's exactly the same as ATT does. Many ATT users have reported that they have never been throttled when exceeding the 22 gb limit. It all depends on what the tower congestion is at the time. With regard to 3g speeds after using 10 gb hotspot, I have found 3g speeds to be more than adequate for any browsing I've ever done. I'm not sure what they mean by 3g speed, but I frequently got over 2 mbs on 3g when I've used it. Safety mode was specifically designed to be 512k or lower.

I'm going to wait and see on this new "unlimited" plan.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

This is so timely for us. I bought a cheap, $30.00, version prepay phone last week to test the waters so to speak. Small price to pay compared to getting in a new network and it not working out. so far so good. Our Att phones signal is very weak here at Galvaston Bay Rv in Baytown. sometimes we have no signal. That little Version phone gets 3 bars and 4glite steady. Our Att phones don't work at all at our Daughters home. Version does.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

While exciting from the headlines.. this plan has a lot of 'gotchas' that don't make it overly appealing for RVers seeking a home internet replacement. For one, it only includes 10GB of high speed mobile hotspot usage (for getting laptops and such online), and second - subject to network management after 22GB of usage in a month.

Here's our full article and analysis of it.. we're still filling in details as we hear back from PR: https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/verizon-brings-back-unlimited-data-plans-with-some-catches/
For those seeking more than 10GB of data, getting one of the grandfathered plans (rental or lease) are still the best option. More on that: www.rvmobileinternet.com/verizon-unlimited

Cherie & Chris (and Kiki *meow*) / Personal Blog: Technomadia.com
Technomads (technology enabled nomads) since 2006

Our Nomadic Fleet:
RVs:
Zephyr: 1961 GM 4106 bus conversion / Blooper: 2020.5 Winnebago Travato GL Boat: Y-Not: 1999 Bayliner 4788

Hosts of the Mobile Internet Resource Center
Mobile Internet Information for RVers, Cruisers & Nomads
Proud to be recognized as Escapee's Commercial Partners #773 / Escapees RVOU Instructors

While exciting from the headlines.. this plan has a lot of 'gotchas' that don't make it overly appealing for RVers seeking a home internet replacement. For one, it only includes 10GB of high speed mobile hotspot usage (for getting laptops and such online), and second - subject to network management after 22GB of usage in a month.

Here's our full article and analysis of it.. we're still filling in details as we hear back from PR: https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/verizon-brings-back-unlimited-data-plans-with-some-catches/
For those seeking more than 10GB of data, getting one of the grandfathered plans (rental or lease) are still the best option. More on that: www.rvmobileinternet.com/verizon-unlimited

Yes, hotspot is limited to 10 gb on 4g, then goes to 3g speeds for unlimited hotspot. I agree that this would not be adequate for someone who wants to stream to their television instead of using satellite TV, but it will be a lot better than a tiered plan for those who just want to browse the internet and/or do music streaming or other low impact usage. There are still a bunch of RV'ers who rely on 3g wifi devices for their internet.

Secondly, don't be surprised if once they roll this plan out they do away with the legacy unlimited plans. I hope not, I'm using one which I've had for ten years. But, they've been hinting at that for the past couple of years, going back to Shammo's many statements about how unlimited was unsustainable.

Thirdly, de-prioritization doesn't necessarily mean that one gets throttled. It depends on the tower, and many RV'ers are in rural areas where tower congestion is not as common as in urban areas.

This is a serious step forward for VZW to match what ATT and TMobile have been touted as unlimited.

Verizon Unlimited =

This looks bad to me.

Pricing is still unclear (no surprises there)

I do not think the $45 line fee will be included - so it is going to be $80+fees+taxes.

I suspect that they will offer a 'couples' plan similar to t-mobile - so 2 lines for $65/line

I guess for the actual bottom line we will have to wait for the formal announcement and roll out from Verizon tomorrow

Bob & Anne-Marie Williams

| 2017 Berkshire XLT 43A with Ultrasteer Tag | Blue Ox Avail + KarGard II |
| SMI AF-1 Air Brake | 2016 Jeep Cherokee Overland TOAD | Pedego bikes |

| Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime |

event.png

I do not think the $45 line fee will be included - so it is going to be $80+fees+taxes.

Even if the $80 includes the first-line fee of $45, it doesn't look like Verizon's "unlimited" plan is for me.

First, for me, with 3 lines (2 phones & 1 USB modem), I'd pay a minimum of $90 ($45 x 2) for line fees. I currently pay $70 ($40 under-contract phone + $20 off-contract phone + $10 USB modem).

Second, Verizon unlimited is just a guaranteed 22 GB plan. After that, what? 3G? Throttling? Others have said that, well, this is just like other carriers unlimited plans. BFD. It still sucks, and it's only "unlimited" if you believe in "alternative facts".

Third, I totally missed the 10 GB hotspot limit info. Verizon, as Technomadia noted, doesn't indicated whether stand-alone hotspots (like my USB modem) are included in this hotspot limit. Bad.

Finally, Technomadia noted that "Verizon states that the existing Verizon Small (2GB), Medium (4GB), and Large (8GB) plans will remain available for those who want a cheaper plan - though it is unclear whether or not the XL and larger plans will also still continue to be offered for those who need more than 10GB of tethering data." Very bad if 8 GB is the new top limit.

With all this uncertainty, tonight I bumped my current Verizon 4 GB plan to 50 GB.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Well now i got to do some math. Maybe drop comcast internet at the house ($50 @ Month). Now have Verizon cell @ $130 for 2 phones. (some of this is the price of 2 Samsung S7 Phones. Altho i don't use much data on Cell. as always using the wifi for that. Main Concern is that i manage 70 Websites an most time always uploading Software to those sites. Core an Module security updates.

2000 Itasca Horizon DP (Got Total During Irma). 

Vice President of Charlotte County Defenders LE MC

http://charlotte.defenderslemc.com/

How much of the unlimited data can be used as a Hotspot? 100% of it?

They are including unlimited hotspot usage - however only the first 10GB in a month is at full 4G speeds. After that, it's reduced to 3G.

Just depends on what you need to use hotspot for if that's suitable enough for you.

Cherie & Chris (and Kiki *meow*) / Personal Blog: Technomadia.com
Technomads (technology enabled nomads) since 2006

Our Nomadic Fleet:
RVs:
Zephyr: 1961 GM 4106 bus conversion / Blooper: 2020.5 Winnebago Travato GL Boat: Y-Not: 1999 Bayliner 4788

Hosts of the Mobile Internet Resource Center
Mobile Internet Information for RVers, Cruisers & Nomads
Proud to be recognized as Escapee's Commercial Partners #773 / Escapees RVOU Instructors

This plan is not for everyone. It is not designed to be a full home internet replacement.

The pricing model has become more clear this morning. A single line plan will cost $80, or $100 if you're already under contract. No line fees are added to that.

A multi-line will be $100, plus $20 for each smartphone or tablet added to the plan. Lines under contract would be $40. So, two lines not under contract would be $100 + $20 + $20 = $140, each device having their own unlimited data (22 gb unthrottled). Four lines would be $180, thus the $45 each line number being thrown around.

The previous New Verizon Plan would cost you more than $80 for 10 gb on a smartphone, so this plan with 22 gb, 10 gb on hotspot, then unlimited at reduced speeds is a much improved offering. No, it's not as good as the legacy unlimited plans, but those are disappearing and no longer offered to most people.

If it works for you, fine. If not, do something else.

I'm currently on the Verizon 16G XL plan, which costs me $90/month data plus $40 for 3 "device access". This is two smart phones (for which I get a 4G data bonus), plus my MiFi hotspot.. Plus, I also have the T-Mobile 6GB plan with unlimited streaming, $40/mn. I use the TM program with my firestick and view much of my TV that way. So my monthly cost for Internet for (16G + 4G + 6G =) 26GB a month is around $170. And rollover now helps even more.

But I am interested in this new unlimited plan for $110 plus $40 "device access" and cancelling TM. So that does look like a minimal cost savings. But what is appealing to have only one access point eliminating searching and selecting what device to access what access point.

So I'm open to this new plan but am interested to see what throttling etc. may have to do with it. And will it see my WFRanger as a "hot spot" and throttle everything over 10G? Still some research to do....

== John

2015 Entegra Aspire 44B diesel pusher with 2017 GMC Acadia Denali toad
Web site, albums, blog and more here

According to the Verizon website, no discounts apply to this plan. So I would assume that includes the 15% military discount that I currently get.

Jim

Jim
SKP: 99693
If you think you can, or you think you can't. . . you are probably right (Henry Ford)
2014 Dodge 4WD Dually
1998 Carriage LS-341

According to the Verizon website, no discounts apply to this plan. So I would assume that includes the 15% military discount that I currently get.

Jim

On HoFo and reddit, they are saying that military and veteran discounts are the only ones which will work on this plan, no employer or corporate discounts. That may or may not be accurate.

I'll need to put pen to paper, we pay $160 per month for our 30gig (did the double up thing when they offered it) plan right now that is 1 smart phone and our hot spot. Very seldom do we use the entire 30 gig's but we do use our hot spot for most of what we do use.

Hmm, or sort of looks like we would save close to 1/2 of what we currently pay if we switch unless there is a line fee I'm not seeing.

Dave & Diane

2020 New Horizon Majestic  5th wheel

2018 Ram 5500

2014 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH (SOLD)
2012 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited (SOLD)

http://daveanddiane.wordpress.com/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWqRmO1rO4cu3rFANF1iG6Q

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10752;80/st/20120701/e/Went+fulltime/dt/-2/k/271f/event.png

I just changed plans from the 12 gig, with 6 gig bonus data, 4 smart phones and a jet pack to the unlimited plan. I have the military discount and they told me it would apply. I asked a lot of questions and they said speed would not be throttled but after 22 gig there might be a slight delay in connecting to the network but once connected normal speed. They did not mention the 10 gig limitation with the hot spot. If they did that might have given me pause but I used 3g for years and it worked fine, even for streaming video occassionlly. It was 2 dollars more than the plan I was on.

Hey RV Fan44. I think the public outcry on them is probably one reason they going this route. But now doing some more math on this, seems still not a good plan for me. >> waiting for more public outcry. lol

2000 Itasca Horizon DP (Got Total During Irma). 

Vice President of Charlotte County Defenders LE MC

http://charlotte.defenderslemc.com/

Archived