How did you run wires from new B/U Camera to monitor

Al F

Since I installed a dual camera rear setup on our coach I needed to run at least one new line anyway, so I opted to run both new. I ran the new pair down through the rear cap at one side where I could fish them down after removing a marker light and tail light assembly for access. Once I had the wires fed out the bottom of the cap, I routed them along the frame rail, making sure they were well protected from road debris and well away from the exhaust system and manifold. At the front, I routed the wires up and through an existing grommet, and finally behind the dash to the new monitor. I have one camera aimed for a general traffic and backing view, and the other aimed low with a view from the rear bumper back to the toad windshield for tight backing and checking on the toad hookup while under way. With the lower camera view, I can easily back up to within an inch or so of an object when backing into a short site. It also works well for making sure no one is in the way before backing, especially small children.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Thanks, Dutch.

I was kind of thinking that would be the way to run the wires. It is just a pain to route and tie the cables to the frame as well as protect them as well.

I am also considering just running the cables on top of the roof, but I would probably need to protect the cables from the sun. My Winnebago has an access hole in the roof just above the dash where the Sat TV Dish cables come in.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

I gave up finding a route inside my fiver (full belly pan). I ran a separate conduit alongside the gas pipe as far as it went, then up over the axles. Up thru the back cap, camera INSIDE the back window works fine.

2000 Volvo 635 A/S, N-14 Cummins
"The Phoenix"
'03 KA 38KSWB

http://s918.photobucket.com/user/sibernut/library/?sort=6&page=1
Furkids- Sibe's CH. Sedona & Tseika
dolphins.jpg

Thanks, Dutch.

I was kind of thinking that would be the way to run the wires. It is just a pain to route and tie the cables to the frame as well as protect them as well.

I am also considering just running the cables on top of the roof, but I would probably need to protect the cables from the sun. My Winnebago has an access hole in the roof just above the dash where the Sat TV Dish cables come in.

Well, I'm not going to claim it was an easy installation, but fishing the wires down the rear cap actually took more time than routing them along the frame rail. At then 71 as now at 73, I'm fortunately still agile enough to wiggle my way end to end under the coach when needed. :D

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Al Florida, on 08 Sept 2016 - 1:29 PM, said:

To anyone who has replaced or installed a wired backup camera in your motorhome, how did you run the wire/cable from the camera to the monitor above the dash?

Any chance I could use the existing cable???

I know you stated "wired" in your post but did you consider going with a "wireless" camera setup? :mellow:

2010 Newmar Dutch Aire 4304-Spartan Chassis-Cummins ISL 425hp-2013 Chevrolet Equinox AWD Towed-SKP# 120487-FMCA #402879-

I know you stated "wired" in your post but did you consider going with a "wireless" camera setup? :mellow:

I am going back and forth about wired or wireless. It seems that in the product reviews on Amazon, and reports in this forum, there are lots of comments about interference with the video signal with wireless. There are lots of other devices which use the same frequency for the wireless signal that seem to cause problems.

Since my MH is only 29' long, wireless might work pretty well.

Still trying to decide which way to go.

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

Al Florida, on 10 Sept 2016 - 09:39 AM, said:Al Florida, on 10 Sept 2016 - 09:39 AM, said:

I am going back and forth about wired or wireless. It seems that in the product reviews on Amazon, and reports in this forum, there are lots of comments about interference with the video signal with wireless. There are lots of other devices which use the same frequency for the wireless signal that seem to cause problems.

Since my MH is only 29' long, wireless might work pretty well.

Still trying to decide which way to go.

Interesting, thanks. Maybe there will be responses from those that have gone the wireless route. I can visualize what a pain in the backside it might be to reroute new cables. :blink:

2010 Newmar Dutch Aire 4304-Spartan Chassis-Cummins ISL 425hp-2013 Chevrolet Equinox AWD Towed-SKP# 120487-FMCA #402879-

Don't forget, wireless cameras aren't really. They still have a power wire running to them. For the trade-offs in picture quality, with minimal reduction in wiring, I lean towards wired camera systems.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

I've had a Voyager wireless rear-view camera since '13. Interference????, not me, not even once.

To feed 12V power to the camera, one has 3 choices. #1, installation instructions say to obtain power from your BU lights-but that means you may only use the camera when in reverse. #2, obtain power from a clearance light and simply run with your parking lights on-you may use the camera any time. #3, I simply used the old camera coax to run power to the camera- center wire = positive- braided shield = negative; this way I have full use of the camera without running the clearance lights.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

We installed a Furrion wireless observation system on our 36' fifth wheel (the mount and wiring for that camera were already factory installed). I've experienced absolutely no interference or signal drop-out with the system - and it's well over 36' from the back of the fiver to the dash of the crew cab truck. That being said, I still prefer to have my wife back there with a radio when backing, but the camera is handy for lining things up and watching the wide angle. I also find it very useful for monitoring things while on the road - especially judging when to pull back over after passing semis going up mountain passes, etc.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

Thanks for the encouraging words about wireless.

I am still trying to decide which way to go, wireless or wired. I have put the project on hold for a few weeks. To busy with family visits & traveling, especially if I was to do a wired system.

Additionally some of the systems I have looked at, have reviews which mention the monitors going bad in a few months. I forget which ones right now. I didn't take notes as I looked at various systems.

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

Archived