continus DEF problem with sprinter

ganto

I have a 2015 road trek e-trek. that has been in the shop 3 times for the same problems. chkEng/chkDEF/10 starts remaining. Mercedes cannot seem to solve the problem they just throw parts at the problem and send you on your merry way, only to have the same problem occur a day a week later. I am curious how many owners are having these problems and if so was there a satisfactory solution??

most of the time the parts replaced are NOX sensors upstream temp sensor DEf dosing valve SCR ( catalytic converter ) and an occasional EGR valve. and after filling the DEF tank once it would not start and left me stranded!!! nothing but a headache and rubbish on wheels buyer beware!!! :angry:. I have an APU installed so I never need to idle the engine making a problematic engine even more problematic than it already is.

Edited by ganto

We have owned three Sprinters but only the last one had DEF. The only problem I had was getting the DEF bottle to the fill place. Too heavy for me to lift that high. Sorry to hear you are having problems with yours. I hope someone figures out a solution soon.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

The only time that they have problems with the DEF system on the Ford diesel is when the owners keep topping off the DEF tank instead of waiting for the DEF warning light ("800 miles remaining on DEF").

Could it be something like that? Are you filling the DEF tank before it indicates that it needs to be replenished?

Lance-white-sands-500.jpg

~Rich

The only time that they have problems with the DEF system on the Ford diesel is when the owners keep topping off the DEF tank instead of waiting for the DEF warning light ("800 miles remaining on DEF").

Could it be something like that? Are you filling the DEF tank before it indicates that it needs to be replenished?

Nope!! it don't even have 10,000 miles on it yet I am wondering if the DEF fluid is going bad and is not as pure as it was when it was first put in the tank I read something about DEF fluid going bad if it sits to long. but you figure that pumping it out and refilling the tank with new DEF fluid would solve the problems but it don't solve the problems

gabto: I have read about other owners with those problems. The DEF/SCR systems are very complex. Too many sensors and

that is usually where the problems start. I suggest you look for an expeditors forum. They have lots of members with that

vehicle. Have you tried a high volume dealer?

gabto: I have read about other owners with those problems. The DEF/SCR systems are very complex. Too many sensors and

that is usually where the problems start. I suggest you look for an expeditors forum. They have lots of members with that

vehicle. Have you tried a high volume dealer?

I take it to a local sprinter dealer nearest to me. none of em can figure out what's going on with it and they just keep throwing parts at it to try and solve the problems!! I am on the expediters forums and there's lots of good reads on people having the same issues as I am. it's already broke down 4 times so i'm gonna be filing a law suit since it is a lemon it should not be giving me all of these problems and no one can seem to fix it. it's not just the sprinters that are having these problems it's all of the new diesels that are having these problems!!

ganto: Many of the Class 8 trucks have problems but not as bad as your Sprinter. This is what happens when a Gov. agency ( Carb and EPA) place unreasonable demands on the manufacturers. The pollution equipment will work one day. But it could take a few years.

ganto,

Check the Facebook page called Roadtreking:the group. Do a FB search on "DEF problem task force". There is apparently a Mercedes task force working on the problem, and Jim Hammill the president of Roadtrek is leaning on them to resolve the issue.

• 3 weeks later...

ganto: Many of the Class 8 trucks have problems but not as bad as your Sprinter. This is what happens when a Gov. agency ( Carb and EPA) place unreasonable demands on the manufacturers. The pollution equipment will work one day. But it could take a few years.

I agree with what you said. I heard the problems with the class 8 trucks I would not want the headaches of those!! I would boycott CA and buy a pre emissions truck and get better reliability and fuel economy!!! you figure the SCR engines have been out for 5 years and they still haven't worked out the kinks yet. and it also don't help with government agency shoving new emissions standards down manufactures throats also. now they have to scramble and try and fix the kinks and try to regain there reliability!!

ganto,

Check the Facebook page called Roadtreking:the group. Do a FB search on "DEF problem task force". There is apparently a Mercedes task force working on the problem, and Jim Hammill the president of Roadtrek is leaning on them to resolve the issue.

thanks grace I reached out to em!!

• 2 years later...

I recently bought a 2015 MB Sprinter 2500 pass van with the intent of converting it to a class B rv. 1 week after purchase, low DEF warning. I bought DEF from AutoZone, they said it's approved for MB Sprinters. Topped off the tank (less than 1/2 gal) and drove off thinking message will clear after a few minutes. Instead, countdown started! Took it to MB dealer, told them what happened and asked if DEF I used was ok and they blessed it. They cleared CEL and countdown, billed me $266 then sent me off. The following day, low DEF and countdown pop up. Took it back, this time they said maybe bad sensors or Adblue system issues. Since van was still under warranty, no worries. They kept van for 3 days to wait for parts. After 3 days, they called, said van was fixed. All parts ok they just reset with new code from MB. Told me to top off DEF every 5000 mi. I top off every other fuel fill up. 1500 mi later, same thing. This time, I ended taking it to another dealer as I was about 100 mi from the previous one. First, they reset it, told me to use only MB DEF, dinged me $355.00. 50 miles later, low DEF and countdown again!!! New dealer ended up replacing catalytic converter and NOX sensors, under warranty. It's been 500 miles as of this writing and so far it's good (keeping my fingers crossed)! I found this on eBay 

MERCEDES cars & Sprinter BlueTec Adblue...

Item ID: 252485713121

Quantity: 1

Estimated delivery: Tue. Mar. 27 - Thu. Apr. 12

This is a Countdown Eraser that you plug into the OBDII receptacle. Will not erase low DEF warning but give you time to bring van to have error reset by dealer(?) I'll let you know if it's worth the money.

Edited by Jolet L
mispelled "of" should be "off"

Your problem may be that you are filling the DEF too often which is confusing the sensors. I would try waiting the full 5000 miles and see what happens. I never filled mine between those miles. And any brand DEF will work. MB dealers have a $250 minimum shop charge so don't pay them to fill your DEF--I did--ONCE! 

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2015 at 10:52 PM, Rich&Sylvia said:

Not true on my 2014 Ford. If I wait it takes awile for warning light to go away. Or is there some reset? Just reminded myself to fill it before upcomming 1800 mi. trip.

• 1 month later...
On 3/12/2018 at 11:03 PM, sandsys said:

Your problem may be that you are filling the DEF too often which is confusing the sensors. I would try waiting the full 5000 miles and see what happens. I never filled mine between those miles. And any brand DEF will work. MB dealers have a $250 minimum shop charge so don't pay them to fill your DEF--I did--ONCE! 

Linda Sand

Not sure if you were addressing me with the above but I will try your suggestion. I refilled the DEF tank after 2000 miles since I got it from the dealer and it took a gallon of DEF. This is mostly city driving. And you're right, MB dealers will charge you as much as they can. BTW, the first dealer (MB of Melbourne FL) refunded me the full amount of what they charged me for resetting the CEL after I wrote an email and sent it to their GM. Thank you MB of Melbourne FL!

My Sprinter has been running trouble free and I hope it stays that way......knock on wood!

• 1 year later...

Our Winnebago View Profile was in storage for around 3 years and now the check engine light is coming on.  We took it in and the mechanic checked the codes and said it was a DEF issue.  He just cleared the codes and the check engine light didn't come back on.  We picked it up and drove it home and the check engine light never came on but this morning drove it and the check engine light is on again.  I saw others in this group talking about this being an ongoing issue with Mercedes.  Can anyone shed any light on this?  We are sick of putting money into this expensive motorhome.  Seems like it has had one problem after another.

DEF has a lifespan, shortened by UV exposure, high or low temps, and agitation. If it sat for 3 years, the fluid is probably done. The mechanic should have recommended draining and refilling the DEF tank. 

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Most manufactures of DEF say it has a 1 year shelf life.  If your RV was in storage for 3 years or longer I am guessing the DEF was bad.  Continued operation could result in some extremely expensive repairs that certainly will not be covered under any type of warranty I'm guessing.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

• 3 months later...

Hate to tell you all, but this problem never ends.   My sprinter has been in the shop 10 times for the DEF system.  

Everyone whom is guessing ‘bad def” or “old def” caused the problem are completely wrong and really  shouldn’t be “guessing” on a

forum on an important issue like this.    The issue is a defective design from

Mercedes.  Period.   Guess where my Sprinter is right now?  In the shop having $3,000. Worth of DEF work 

done, following $3,500. And $2,200. In DEF repairs and all of the days when it was under warranty.   Every time I’m 

in a Mercedes shop, waiting to spend thousands to replace def parts, again, I meet others who are there

for the same reason.  I’ve also met those who blew their engines by trying to bypass the system.  

So, this problem is a defective design. No one did anything to make their systems break.  And, people 

who are sharing “guilt” by guessing what we did to break our systems are really not helping.  

So, if you don’t know what you are talking about, please don’t “guess.”   

You add nothing to the discussion by guessing  and blaming whatever or whomever.  

Mercedes should replace all these but that would cost billions. So, we owners suffer.  

• 2 weeks later...

I, all agreed with as above you guys mentioned Das MB Sprinter's the SCR (DEF tank, DPF,  NOx sensors, EGR, DEF Injector, Heating elements) issues with the Engine starting counts pop up. I went to the MB dealership when I got the problems as you all had. They asked me $8000 all replacing parts. I think that it is not just replacing parts issues. It is matter of parts quality control and better design as the Toyota does and unnecessary high cost of labor/parts with limited experienced mechanics. Sometimes, they asked high price tag the only reason is Das Mercedes Benz.

I would like to give you guys some tips through my DIY repair experiences with Das MB Sprinter 2500 170" 3.0 OM642/W906 chasiiii.- If you are inclined mechanic skill will help the your wallet.

1.       The Diesel engine required a lot of maintenance with MB specs

Engine oil should be ESP or MB oil, Transmission Oil- MB specs- don’t use regular engine oil.

2.       I recommend change the timing chain services on Every 100k mile-because chain is stretching upon  driving condition such as towing/engine brake even though you have towing brakes kit.- Don’t believe the MB diesel engine is the 500k miles performance without proper maintained.

3.       the Engine Start Count”- Use on Ebay  OBD-2 reset tool: single car $299, unlimited car $579 for the emergency or long travel  for the back up.

4.       Check with OBD scanner;  MB obd scanner which around $120 to $2500 if you like to do DIY  from online EBay, Amazon.

5.       The DPF filter life span is around 300K mile with regular Regen or Min. 1800 RPM 40min at every 1200mile interval.- I cleaned with DPF cleaning shop in local  at 180K mile. the cost was around $380.- don't replace it.

6.       NOx sensors life span expectation is 850k Mile, so if you have a issue with it just take it out cleaning or soaking with carburetor cleaning spray or brake cleaning. The zirconia element will be fine with it. Or replace with new ones DPF's NOx and after NOx sensors. Recently, getting cheaper because of Chinese makers. It is around $170 up to $400.

7.       EGR – just clean it out or use diesel clean additive as instructed, regularly.- If you are living in cold climate zone would be help you out such as anti-gel additive. Please remember Diesel fuel is Organic fossil fuel.- especially remove water regularly  and when you fueling in seasonally

8.       DEF injector necessary cleaning every 30k mile to 50k mile upon climate zone because it clogged on the nozzle.- Use hot water, don’t use others.- just dip it in the hot water

9.       DEF level Sensors and heating element with DEF Heating delivery line up on OBD codes. –Usually it triggered low DEF level with “engine start count” – They made with cheap material on heating elements and level sensor- the most notorious Das MB Sprinter SCR failure issues.- You can have the replacement part around $200 with 2 years warranty on the Ebay.

10.   Diesel fuel filter replacement every 30k Mile up on climate zone.

11.   Check the fuel cap sometimes high elevation trip expanded tank and failed the function of cap. It makes trigger the engine light or engine start count. Be sure the fuel cap clicking is normal. Failed fuel cap sound is dull clicking sound.

All as I above mentioned maintenance are only basic categories, please; take care of your precious Das MB Sprinter.

• 8 months later...

Owning a Mercedes Sprinter based RV is great as long as nothing is broken. On our trip from N. Carolina to Yellowstone this year our DEF system on our 2015 View went out. Check DEF warning and finally the dreaded 10 starts remaining. This after topping off the tank every other fuel stop. After diverting 250 miles to the closest MB dealer in Farmington, UT they diagnosed an internal failure in the def tank (6 years old and less than 12,000 miles). Repair and replacement was ~ $3,500.00. That hurt and made the trip very memorable. Still arguing with Mercedes on why they won't stand behind their product. By the way don't waste your time asking Winnebago for assistance as they tell you to contact Mercedes with chassis issues. The good part was the problem was fixed and the dealership was outstanding in their response.