Texas Registration and Vehicle Inspection on one Sticker

HAWGJO

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you will note the thread about this subject which is pinned to the top of this forum, you can read the facts about this issue, which have been resolved for RV folks and others with TX registered vehicles that are out of state when due for renewal. There are a total of 23 pages of discussion of the subject, but the important part is quoted here.

I wanted to take this time to let you know the progress of the "Inspection Sticker Issue"

The new web site is up and running and it may answer some questions you may have on registering and the inspection process.

The web site is: www.twostepsonesticker.com.

For those traveling away from the state - from the web site:

*************************************************************************************************************************************************

Special Circumstances Out of State Motorists

If your vehicle is out of state and you are unable to complete a Texas vehicle inspection in order to renew your registration, you will be able to self-certify that the vehicle is out of state and will be permitted to register. The self-certification process will be limited to:

• Active duty military
  • Full-time students
  • Seasonal Texans, RV’ers
  • Apportioned vehicles
  • Elected Congressional officials

You will be able to renew your registration using self-certification online, by mail or in-person. Please contact your county tax office for more information about their requirements for out-of-state registration renewal. To find the contact information for your county of residence, please visit the TxDMV website.

If you renew your vehicle registration using the out-of-state self-certification option, a remark will be placed on your vehicle record indicating that an inspection is still due. Once you return to the state, you must complete a Texas vehicle inspection within three days of arrival at your home, duty station, or destination. It is very important that you keep the VIR issued after completing your inspection in case you are stopped by law enforcement before the remark is removed from your vehicle record, which takes about 48 hours. The remark will only be removed upon payment of the state’s portion of the inspection fee and verification of a current, passing inspection.

*****************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

The change that I see is that once you get back to Texas you will have 3 days to get the RV inspected instead of 7 days that was stated in the meetings that I attended.

Bottom line - As RVers, we will be able to renew the registration without coming back for the inspection.

Thanks

Jim Koca

RV Advocacy Director

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

You will be able to renew your registration using self-certification online, by mail or in-person.

I've read that post multiple times but never noticed this until now. Hard to claim you're not in state while standing at the counter...

Dave & Tish
Beagle Bagles & Snoopy

RIP Snoopy we lost you 5-11-14 but you'll always travel with us
On the road somewhere.
AF retired, 70-90
A truck and a trailer

“He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion” -unknown

HoD vay' wej qoH SoH je nep! ngebmo' vIt neH 'ach SoHbe' loD Hem, wa' ngebmo'. nuqneH...

You will be able to renew your registration using self-certification online, by mail or in-person.

I've read that post multiple times but never noticed this until now. Hard to claim you're not in state while standing at the counter...

Just because you're there does not mean the vehicle is.

2000 Volvo 770, 500HP/1650FP Cummins N14 and 10 Speed Autoshift 3.58 Rear 202" WB, 2002 Teton Aspen Royal 43 Foot, Burgman 650 Scooter

I'm pretty new at Rving but I checked around and asked lots of questions. One was vehicle registration. I quickly decided that not many places can beat my good old home state of Idaho. My annual registration for pickup and trailer is about 70 bucks and I don't have to get any vehicle inspection. Sounds like I got a keeper here.

Does your state have an income tax? That is one reason that a lot of us go to a state that doesn't have one, because state income tax can make the amount for registration look pretty small, especially when it is coming out of tax deferred investments.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Let's see,

Idaho has income tax. Texas doesn't

Idaho has low vehicle registration costs.. so does Texas

Does Idaho have a club like Escapees?

Texas has vehicle inspections... Now no big deal for full timers. So, what is the advantage??

Dave & Tish
Beagle Bagles & Snoopy

RIP Snoopy we lost you 5-11-14 but you'll always travel with us
On the road somewhere.
AF retired, 70-90
A truck and a trailer

“He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion” -unknown

HoD vay' wej qoH SoH je nep! ngebmo' vIt neH 'ach SoHbe' loD Hem, wa' ngebmo'. nuqneH...

I'm pretty new at Rving but I checked around and asked lots of questions. One was vehicle registration. I quickly decided that not many places can beat my good old home state of Idaho.

There is no perfect place but there probably aren't any states that are not good for someone. Since part of the issue of domicile is the place that you intend to return when your travels are finished, it would seem that you probably have made the right choice for you. I assume that you have some form of address which is acceptable to the state of ID for your driving license and vehicle registration? If so, then there is no reason to change.

Not saying that I have all the answers. That is one reason I joined Escapees was to learn the options. I still don't understand how one can get a drivers license, vehicle registration and insurance from a place like Texas without actually going to Texas and applying. Or returning for renewals and after 65 do they require one to actually appear in person to renew so they can determine if your road worthy and capable? I'm all ears if anyone can educate me how to accomplish that in the next six months, when we go fulltimer.

You have to go to get your initial drivers license and then you have to appear in person every 12 years to renew it, with the interim 6 yr renewal being done online - assuming your rig is less than 26,000#. If greater than 26,000#, you need a Class B or Class A license, and with them you can do a mail renewal for your dl at 6 years and then the in-person renewal at twelve years. Difference is you have to have a notarized exemption form with the renewal for the Class A & B licenses.

Otherwise, you need not go back. Where did you get the idea that you never had to go there? All states require your presence to get your initial DL?

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

I'm all ears if anyone can educate me how to accomplish that in the next six months, when we go fulltimer.

I don't understand what it is that you want us to tell you? Since the Patriot Act, there is no state where you can get a driver's license the first time without appearing in person. It's a federal thing. The way to become a Texas citizen is covered quite well in the free booklet on the club website. The free booklet is titled "How To Become A Real Texan" and once you have read it, come back and ask if you are interested. In post #8 I thought that you were saying that you didn't want to leave Idaho? I don't think that anyone is telling you that you have to, only that you can if you wish to.

• 2 weeks later...

Mostly, the trailer inspection is to check for clearance and brake lights. Some will check the tire thread and I have had a couple wantt o heat the brakes click as you roll forward and apply the brakes.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

• 3 months later...

I was also confused by the declaring you are out of state "in person" comment. The only thing I can figure is...you might be in state while your RV is OUT of state. Maybe you had to fly home for some reason or left your RV parked somewhere so that it isn't in Texas for an inspection but you actually are. That's the only thing that made any sense in their statement.

Good to know that we can still register online. I'm curious to see how that works since we are becoming full time RVers this year!

We did our new registration online the week before last. Due in June. We are out of state a usual, self certified. The credit card charge came up on our online account and received an email that our application was approved, should receive it in 7-10 working days. So it looks good to go and receiving it will just depend on when we order mail. Will report back when we have it in hand.

• 3 months later...

If you do the renewal online it is embedded into the process.....that is by far the easiest way to do it. I've done it that way three times, now.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Archived