HDT FAQ Document (frequent questions)

Jack Mayer

It has been suggested (by Softail) that an FAQ document pertaining to HDTs (heavy duty trucks) and the HDT-lifestyle would be useful for newbees/wannabees. I tend to agree. But it is going to take a collaborative effort to produce a highly usable document. So in the spirit of cooperation I created a document and put in the FIRST question and answer.

Anyone can add to or edit the document. We will see where it goes. I'll do edits of it "along the way" and will give it to Mark for inclusion in the Resource Guide when it matures enough if it looks useful. Feel free to contribute to other's answers or edit them if they are incorrect. But SIMPLE answers are desired, not a PhD answer - remember, this is for newbees or wannabees. We will see if Internet "riff raff" discover the document and muck it up....it is totally "open".

This is a "living" document - so it can and should be updated over time. For contributors - please feel free to edit existing Questions, or to add your own. Please make sure you read what is there so as to not add redundant info.

PLEASE do not respond to or add to this thread. If discussion of the FAQ is required, start a new thread. This thread is now locked. If there is a reason to unlock it contact me....

HDT Q&A Document

Note: On 11/19/2014 I moved this document to a Word file on OneDrive. It somehow got messed up on Google Docs during someone's edit attempt. Perhaps it will be easier to add things as a Word file.

Edited by Jack Mayer

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

The automatic numbering (edit function) does not allow for return spacing, I'm sure you know how to deal with it.

Hold down shift while hitting return and it will not renumber....

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

Great idea Jack, it will interesting to watch it grow.

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

Glad you picked up the ball on this Jack. An impressive and surely helpful list is already blossoming.

Choosing an HDT is similar to many things in life. The options are: good, cheap, and easy. Pick two.

"Hulk Smash Puny Mountain" : 2000 Freightliner Century -Cummins N14+ 460HP, 13 speed, 3.58 rears -Work in progress

2004 Fleetwood Terry Quantum 38'

7258558240_00e57bffd2_n.jpg

You guys have been busy....Keep it up - but please keep it to Newbee type issues. Anything that anyone "thinking" about getting into an HDT may wonder about. Insurance, and Financing are open areas.

This is kinda fun to watch - I can see people edit it live, and I can see more than one person at a time.

Edited by Jack Mayer

www.jackdanmayer.com

If anyone wants to jump int the conversation window, click on the chat button up beside the "Anonymous" user icons. Just playing in G-Docs.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Just reviewed the site and find several areas that look like a link (blue color on my computer). Nothing happens when I hover or attempt to click. I did sign in with my Google account. Is it my computer settings or something I am missing?

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Thanks Rocky.

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

• 5 weeks later...

Would it be appropriate to put part numbers for common parts found on our trucks? ie, airbag interchange numbers, or special switch numbers?

NO. The FAQ is specifically targeted at an audience of newbies or wannabees. It is not intended to replace the resource guide.

www.jackdanmayer.com

• 9 months later...

Jack...As a Wannabee, this has been one of the absolute best reads I've found. Thanks to you and the other members of this Forum who have contributed the information. I have been lurking on the MDT threads but now I see myself spending much more time viewing the HDT info. After a recent conversation with Gregg Shields, I think this is where I'll stay.

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

• 2 months later...

this is a very nice read. I don't know if this is where to post this but I live in florida and I travel to ohio in the summer time and was wanting to do a hdt conversion on a volvo and I'm just having problems with figuring out the legality of titling as a Motorhome. I was thinking about titling it as a motorhome in ohio but it says no fithwheel so if I do the titling then put a air ride fithwheel on it what kind of trouble could I get into while traveling through ohio in the summer and florida in the winter. I also looked at titling in montana by forming a llc, can this be done without actually going to montana and will it exempt me from needing a cdl in florida when I come down in the winter. I'm just trying to stay out of a legal pickle. If anyone has any advice I would really appreciate it. thank you

Edited by fishburn123

I titled in Ohio. Only requirements were: bed for sleeping, table and seating for dining, refrigeration or ice box, cook range or oven. No mention of hitch type on the paperwork they gave me. I filled it in, signed it, paid my money ($25 or $50) and got a motorhome title. That was in 2010.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

• 2 months later...