Boondocklng on BLM LAND with an HDT

daddyd

I want to boomdock on BLM land and all over the country. I want to get a HDT as a hauler and a toyhauler 5th wheel after reading your's froum. How many of you boomdock out in the boonies with your HDT and your 40+ft. trailer. I'm going to take along a smart car on the back of HDT and a polaris RZR in the toyhauler to scout around the area.

DD: Your in the right place, many here set up to do just that.

Come on by the HDT rally in Oct. and see/learn firsthand the many in's and out's.

I am always amazed at the innovative solutions the folks have devised.

Also, Quartzite Az. in mid January is a real sight to behold, and on BLM managed land.

Yamaha V-Star
2007 Kenworth T2000 tandem aircutter
ThermoKing TriPack
2003 Holiday Rambler 36' Presidential
short trips-88 Allegro on Astro

We have done it for years. Always have a great time even though I sometimes pull a boneheaded trick or two. You just have to go with the correct attitude, and be prepared. For example, once while trying to get just the "right view" out our window I ended up with the truck and 5th both down to the frame in the sand. The Top Dog was not very happy as she had told me that it looked a little soft over there. She said we need to call for help, but my response was that "I got us in this mess, I'll get us out." :angry: I did, after jacking, shoveling, over & over, building a plank road, :P TWO DAYS later!! :rolleyes: We (I) still laugh about that. :wub:

Good luck, have fun, and be smart. Dick T

2006 Volvo VNL 630(VED12 400HP)
10 speed autoshift,3.58 gear 236" twin screw, w/ET, Jackalopee, Blue Dot
2016 Space Craft 37'

Blu/Dot, Dexter 8K triple axel, HD Drum hydraulic brakes

Feather lite air ride
2005 Jeep Rubicon
2007 Suzuki DR 650

We carry a RZR and a Forester on our HDT. We have a 40' Teton and rarely stay in campgrounds. We boondock or stay on our own parcels. The HDT also has a 100 gallon fresh water tank and a 100 gallon waste tank. We have solar and a 3000 watt generator along with a spare propane bottle. The extra gas for the RZR and generator is stored in 6 five gallon cans on the truck. When necessary we can also carry an addition 55 gallon barrel for more water. I changed the black tank on the 5er to 70 gallons for a liitle more than the 40. Since most areas limt boondocking to 14 days we have enough to help our friends and still not worry.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

I'll probably be out in Johnson Valley (High Desert) for a couple of weeks again this year for the King of the Hammers race. It's on BLM land. I generally take 80gal of extra water, and 30gal when we stay "off grid" for more than a few days.

"Willy Mammoth" - Volvo 730, Sold

Heartland Cyclone 4000 Toy Hauler
T-Minus 26 years and counting to being a full timer.

DD we have been camping on BLM land and forest land for fifteen years. It is beautiful and piece full. Just make sure you walk the area first before parking.

2007 Volvo 780 Ultrashift Trailersaver Hitch
2017 Momentum 397th
3 Yamaha Banshees
2 Honda 400EX's
Polaris Outlaw 50

Polaris Outlaw 110 EFi                                                                                                                                                                                                                          2018 Polaris RZR S 1000 Stealth Black
2019 Polaris RZR S 1000 Titanium Matte Metal

2015 Polaris RZR S 900 VooDoo Blue

https://i.imgur.com/e0ajU8Pl.jpg

I'll probably be out in Johnson Valley (High Desert) for a couple of weeks again this year for the King of the Hammers race. It's on BLM land. I generally take 80gal of extra water, and 30gal when we stay "off grid" for more than a few days.

Don't think dates are set yet but should be the first of February. May see you there. Have a friend that's thinking about entering this year.

We dry camp the CA desert every year for desert and offroad race Season.

Trailer carries 120 gallons of fresh water and 50 gallons gray water. I have a tank on my truck with an additional 50 gallons freshwater. And the passenger-side fuel tank 120 gallons is converted to gray water storage.

AECFDC7D-EA89-42B4-8558-0B11996368E9-100

This is one of the off road trucks it's been redone now it's all A - arm with a 408 chevy. Runs it along with a ranger with a LS1 in 1450 preruner class. 9A7FE488-6845-4FE5-9B3A-76E7753E1272-100

And this is the jeep my friend will run the Hammers with. Not sure what class??259987CD-1FB2-48AD-BCB7-336B2AD99DC6_zps

This is after I built him a new front bumper. I talked him into letting me flex it out a little.

And this is the jeep my friend will run the Hammers with. Not sure what class??259987CD-1FB2-48AD-BCB7-336B2AD99DC6_zps

This is after I built him a new front bumper. I talked him into letting me flex it out a little.

Nice looking TJ, very similar to mine. It's a 6.0L/6L90/Atlas 3.8/60's

f99f827a-f899-4646-a87c-f464d18d2ad4-s.j

"Willy Mammoth" - Volvo 730, Sold

Heartland Cyclone 4000 Toy Hauler
T-Minus 26 years and counting to being a full timer.

Hi Everyone,

I have been reading this thread. And a question came to my mind. Does anyone use some kind of mat under their tires so the trailer or the truck does not sink into the ground ? I would love to boondock but sinking into the ground would turn out to be a real bummer. What would a tow cost ?

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Hi alan0043 -

The trouble with mats is my DW gets annoyed having to pick them up and run ahead and flop them down again :D

reducing tire pressures is one method to prevent sinkage in soft ground. Here are some videos from Tire Boss International showing how tire pressure on heavy vehicles affects floatation and traction.

https://www.youtube.com/user/tirebossvideopage

The same results for occasional use can be achieved without the automated system - an accurate tire pressure guage, enough air line with a clamp on inflator chuck to reach all your tires from your HDT, a stool to sit on while adjusting pressure, and enough common sense to re-inflate to correct pressure for on the highway.

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Archived