"Willy Mammoth" - Volvo 730 RV Hauler Build

bmzero

17137290032_955b14a667_b.jpgCurrent Photo:

So, the name came from my daughter (8 years old). We were trying to think of names of things that were big. She meant to say Wooly Mammoth, but "Willy" came out and it just stuck.

Specs:

2008 Volvo VNL 730

Southern California truck most of its life (no rust)

660k on it when I bought it.

D16 Engine

I-Shift Transmission

Non-smoker - very important to me

Leather(ish) seats

Woodgrain accents

Refrigerator

Sink

Dinette (ie. "Workstation")

15840921730_0434fcc87e_c.jpg

The plans are to drop a rear axle and build a hauler bed. I will probably keep enough wheelbase to haul a Smart Car. I also have some big plans for the interior (LED TV, game system, etc.). I have an 8-year old and a 5-year old that want me to hurry up and build their "playhouse".

I'll be doing all of the work myself.

Here are some interior shots. The seats are gray. The post processing and long shutter speed made them look maroon.

15837252238_72e1c25ddc_c.jpg

15837252328_76cdababc9_c.jpg

15837415640_2443b3e2dd_c.jpg

15838922487_ebeab8702e_c.jpg

15837416050_f43fc95100_c.jpg

16024664865_5554ed78d6_c.jpg

16023985912_3c484a59da_c.jpg

16024665255_e11e6d2bf2_c.jpg

We'll be pulling a 38' Keystone Raptor with it.

I'll update this thread as the build progresses.

"Willy Mammoth" - Volvo 730, Sold

Heartland Cyclone 4000 Toy Hauler
T-Minus 26 years and counting to being a full timer.

• Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You have a great looking truck!! Have the same interior less the sink. But leather seats and shuch the same !!

Good luck with your project and keep us in the loop with pics and shuch,!!!!!!

JC

2009 Volvo 780. D-16 500hp 1850 torque with a Herrin hauler bed.

2015 Continental Coach

2008 650cc Suzuki Bergman

2013 Mustang GT 500 convertible

2014 Smartcar convertible

WWW.Hollyfab.com. (Metal Fabrication Company)

Jamesc@hollyfab.com (preferred contact method)

Impressive lens on the camera.....what was it?

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Hey, you got the truck I was looking for !! While looking for a twin to your truck I found my 2006 780 in the one color I didn't want...RED. What the heck, though, I have grown fond of "TowMater". Keep the pictures coming on your upgrade. I think your truck is beautiful and I'm sure it will only get better. "WILLY MAMMOTH".....great name. Be safe, Charlie

Don't ever tell a soldier that he doesn't understand the cost of war.

Impressive lens on the camera.....what was it?

Jack, the lens is a Canon 10-22 on a 7D.

Thanks for the compliments everyone. It's refreshing to hear some positives about the truck. Most of my friends and family think I have finally gone crazy.

BM Zero, you're not crazy, actually, you're pretty smart.

Congrats on one of the best choices I think you could have made.

Rick

1998 VOLVO 610 VED-12 @ 425 HP with 13 speed, 22.5" rubber, TC Equipped, single 3.70 drive axle, 193'' WB. REESE, 30K 4 way rocker-hitch, Jordan Ultima 2020. Under-frame mounted Honda 3000 ei, Towing a DRV MobileSuites- 36TK3 with TrailAir Pin Box, a Yamaha Road Star 1700 on deck. http://diesel-gypsy.blogspot.com

What's your procedure??? Have to do one of mine.

2009 Volvo 780. D-16 500hp 1850 torque with a Herrin hauler bed.

2015 Continental Coach

2008 650cc Suzuki Bergman

2013 Mustang GT 500 convertible

2014 Smartcar convertible

WWW.Hollyfab.com. (Metal Fabrication Company)

Jamesc@hollyfab.com (preferred contact method)

What's your procedure??? Have to do one of mine.

JC,

Basically you'll want to progressively sand them, starting at 220 grit or so, stepping up to 500, 800, 1500. Then I use a 3000-grit 3M Trizact pad, and finish with a plastic polishing compound and clearcoat. Basically, what 3M puts in a $15 package at Wal-Mart, except that I use an orbital sander instead of a drill. You didn't ask me though...

These are huge lights.

You've got that right. I was sore a couple of days after the first time I did mine. They were much worse starting off though. The bulge over the projector is a real pain too.

FYI for anyone thinking about replacing the housings instead of polishing--there are a lot of cheap knock-offs floating around. I've gone through several sets over the last few weeks--a lot of them don't quite fit the contour of the hood, and you can't even get all of the bolt holes to line up. They have projectors that make even the stock Volvo ones look OK. On the other hand, the DEPO branded housings (which will have the DEPO logo molded into the lens just above the turn signal) seem to be reasonably well made and can be had for under $200 each. They have a rounded contour over the entire front face instead of the bulge over the projector, so they should be easier to polish when they eventually need it.

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

Has anyone used "Bug Spray" on the lenses? I don't remember where I saw it, but read about using "Off" on cloudy lenses. Tried it out on my 1999 Isuzu and it worked very well. I'm not someone who remembers to do the before and after photos, until after most of the times. Took less than a minute to spray and wipe. Remarkably clearer. Maybe not as good as a half a day with sand paper and polish, but it got me from Kansas to Colorado and back.

Rod

PS, I didn't have OFF, used a generic brand of bug repellent..

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

That sure is a sweet truck. No need for a trailer; I could just live in the cab! It looks like it has more room inside than my Aliner. That means that you can tow a toy hauler for all your toys - a boat, jet ski, ATV, motorcycle, car, snowmobile, ultralight airplane, etc.

I guess insect repellant would have the added advantage of keeping bugs off the front of your truck too. :wacko:

Chip

Thanks, Chip.

I did use Off insect repellent on my wife's headlights that were cloudy. It did remove the haze from them, but it did not go deep enough into the plastic. There were several spots that just wouldn't come off. They definitely looked better than before and it was definitely worth the effort, but we still ended up sanding and polishing them.

These lights are not nearly as bad as hers were. I'll do the other side with Off and try to post up some photos for comparison.

Jack, the lens is a Canon 10-22 on a 7D.

Thanks for the compliments everyone. It's refreshing to hear some positives about the truck. Most of my friends and family think I have finally gone crazy.

Hey bmzero,

You know that crazy is good ! (lol) I would use it to my advantage. You have one nice looking truck. Is the color of the truck silver ? I would think if you do not have any race stickers or product stickers on your toy hauler you should not have any problems. You will not look like you are commercial. If I can remember right, you enjoy racing. This is just an idea.

I like your truck, please keep the pictures coming.

It would be nice to see you and your family at the 2015 ECR in Tenn.

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Hey bmzero,

You know that crazy is good ! (lol) I would use it to my advantage. You have one nice looking truck. Is the color of the truck silver ? I would think if you do not have any race stickers or product stickers on your toy hauler you should not have any problems. You will not look like you are commercial. If I can remember right, you enjoy racing. This is just an idea.

I like your truck, please keep the pictures coming.

It would be nice to see you and your family at the 2015 ECR in Tenn.

Al

Thanks, Al.

What is the ECR? I tried to Google and forum search that, but not really sure what I'm searching for.

Thanks, Al.

What is the ECR? I tried to Google and forum search that, but not really sure what I'm searching for.

There are two Rallies for HDTs. The National Rally in October, and the ECR (East Coast Rally) in the spring. LINK.

Off topic: we need to get the Rally info updated for ECR!!!

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

There are two Rallies for HDTs. The National Rally in October, and the ECR (East Coast Rally) in the spring. LINK.

Off topic: we need to get the Rally info updated for ECR!!!

Thanks, Jack. I'm definitely interested in that. Hopefully mine is done by then and we can make it up to the event.

I had the local stereo shop install a new head unit in Willy today. This one has all of the features I needed and it was only $55 on Amazon. Granted, it might not last two weeks, but I'm going to give it a shot.

The AUX in will be connected to the rear TV and game console. The remote will come in handy when sitting at the work station. Hard to beat for $55.

It's 200W, so it has plenty of power to push the multitude of speakers.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B65J5B8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

15850809617_352671ee03_c.jpg

Archived