Homosassa River resort thieves

Wrknrvr

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, a breakin can happen anywhere, to almost anyone. We have been fulltimers 17 years and never had an issue. Lucky, perhaps. Oh, and I never lock my storage compartments. My philosophy is I'd rather replace the items stolen....which would not be much, frankly - than to fix the door that was pried open, repaint it, fix the body next to the door, etc. We do lock our entry door, as appropriate. And our truck and car.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

We take the same precautions as Jack - bay doors are unlocked, but entry door & car are locked at night. One of the things that I didn't understand was asking about crime problems when checking in - if I felt we had to ask, we wouldn't check in. We drove through one park on I-20 out in west Texas. Pulled off the freeway, turned into the park and I had a shiver up my spine, Dave took one look at my face and drove out the exit and back up onto I-10. About 30 miles down the road was another park, could even walk to a diner for dinner, nothing fancy but clean and no spine tingle as we pulled in.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

We take the same precautions as Jack - bay doors are unlocked, but entry door & car are locked at night. One of the things that I didn't understand was asking about crime problems when checking in - if I felt we had to ask, we wouldn't check in. We drove through one park on I-20 out in west Texas. Pulled off the freeway, turned into the park and I had a shiver up my spine, Dave took one look at my face and drove out the exit and back up onto I-10. About 30 miles down the road was another park, could even walk to a diner for dinner, nothing fancy but clean and no spine tingle as we pulled in.

Barb

Smart ... paying attention to your 'gut' ( spine in Barbs case ;) ) .

Goes around , comes around .

I was at Lake Ouchita State Park once and my campsite was vandalized and the case of can Dr. Pepper that I left outside was ruined. The vandals ripped open and poured out every single can. I never even considered not returning. The scenery is fabulous and the lake is beautiful. I photographed the destruction and chalked it up as a learning experience. I never envisioned that a gang of wild raccoons could sneak in, undetected by my watch dog (aka a fat cocker spaniel), and ruin 12 precious cans of DP. Maybe I need to scratch Arkansas off my list of places to go?

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

I was at Lake Ouchita State Park once and my campsite was vandalized and the case of can Dr. Pepper that I left outside was ruined. The vandals ripped open and poured out every single can. I never even considered not returning. The scenery is fabulous and the lake is beautiful. I photographed the destruction and chalked it up as a learning experience. I never envisioned that a gang of wild raccoons could sneak in, undetected by my watch dog (aka a fat cocker spaniel), and ruin 12 precious cans of DP. Maybe I need to scratch Arkansas off my list of places to go?

No but the hound needs to be put on probation!

Previously a 2017 Forest River, Berkshire 38A, "The Dragonship". https://dragonship.blog/

We have been home based in Florida for 25 years. Only seen a couple of accidents and never had anything stolen. Hope you find the end of your rainbow, but don't hold your breath. By the way, We live just a short distance north of Homosassa. Chuck

58dd65872f8a7_ReducedRVandCar.jpg.cf7b626fb3b5b05ebc20cb05195193a2.jpg

Chuck and Susan      1999 Fleetwood Bounder 34            Triton V10 on Ford Chassis

I think we have spent 7 winters in Florida. I would work at Sumter Oaks escapees RV park in Bushnell Florida and occasionally there would something missing. So they installed a fence on the west side by the road.

We stayed in Brooksville fl for a few tears and one winter someone stole 2 or more enclosed trailers from there storage area while we were there. The kind a car would fit in.

Be safe,,, Vern

A L B U Q U E R Q U E, trust me, I had to look it up a lot before I could get it right. It's the same town Bugs Bunny took a wrong turn at.

I thought Bugs Bunny always took the wrong turn at Cucamonga????

2002 NuWa HitchHiker II 31 FKTG, Onan Generator, HWH Levelling, RVFlexArmor roof

2005 Chevy Silverado 2500 Crew Cab, Long Bed, SRW, 8.1L

B&W Companion Fifth Wheel Hitch

Me and Mama and the fur-kid:
Prince - chihuahua-pug mix

I read on FB about a spate of thefts at Lake End park in Louisiana. The thieves were stealing expensive coolers filled with beer.

The park guard shack was manned all night. Turned out the perps were paddling in by boat.

-C&J-

CG reviews & more - www.fugawetribe.com

I'm a little ways inland on Lake Rousseau. I've been here a month. The last time we took the toad into town we didn't lock up the MH anything. No doors, windows, nothing. There's simply no need.

-C&J-

CG reviews & more - www.fugawetribe.com

Big5er are you sure you didn't drink that Dr Pepper and go to bed in a Dr Pepper stupor and wake up in the morning with no recollection of drinking all that evil drink?

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

I agree with what Stan said. I spent the first 60 years of my life in 11 different parts of New York State. Within NY, there were areas I felt very safe in and those I didn't. Often the areas I felt very safe in were less than an hours drive, sometimes 15 minutes, from areas I felt the least safe. People who paint the State of NY with one broad brush, and avoid it, are doing themselves a big disservice. I bet Florida is the same way.

Jim

I view New York City in the same category as southern California. Been There with no need to ever return. The rest of both states have gorgeous areas that I really like. Just pick your poison. All states have good and bad areas and then we are all different too with different opinions of what is good and bad. Thank goodness we aren't all the same. How boring would that be?

Ed

KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, RV Flex Armor Roof

To: Wrknrvr: I read your post and started reading the others, got disgusted, but came back to say to YOU: I'm sorry for what you experienced and I do understand. Had my vehicle broken in to, ripped up the dashboard a bit, didn't really get anything. After the shock of finding it, I felt personally violated,and then the anger set in, like you.

A little different experience was - Husband and I made reservations ahead of time while rving from the southeast to Glacier, Montana. We pulled in a day's drive from the park and weren't very pleased with what we saw, but had been driving a long time, end of day, etc. so we set up; then we got looking around, a real bad feeling set in. I'm a senior citizen, been camping since my teens, and this was the only time I felt the need to carry my .38 Special into the bathroom stall and shower stall. Made sure everyone saw we had two German Shepherds with us. Nothing happened, we left the next morning pronto. Would we go back? Heck, no. I'd prefer to sidestep potential problem areas, not sit in it feeling smug as if my luck is never going to run out. I'm glad when people post warnings about areas - gives people the chance to make a choice. Perhaps just that heads up is enough to make a camper more cautious but still enjoy the area, perhaps avoid that area and feel better about it, or perhaps just sit there with the ignorance is bliss attitude and have a good ole time.

Yes, you were expressing your opinion, not attacking anyone for their actions, attitudes, or words, no tones, no innuendoes. I've met a lot of nice people on this board, grateful for their help, but unfortunately in the long run I think those nice people are the ones that will shy away from posts for fear of---The Escapees Are Attacking Again!

I'm a little ways inland on Lake Rousseau. I've been here a month. The last time we took the toad into town we didn't lock up the MH anything. No doors, windows, nothing. There's simply no need.

Stayed at Lake Rouseau a few yrs ago. Very nice place and had no problems at all with theft. We always locked things up of course so that you make what we say the honest thief honest. We enjoyed it there a lot. Great fishing too :-)

Dave & Linda

2011 Bighorn 3670

2000 Ford 7.3 PS diesel white and tan in color Now Fulltiming since May15, 2010

Semper Fi Marines!!

Vern, we’re sorry you had this experience in our state.

We met you and your DW briefly at the Tampa RV show 3 years ago, or was it 4. Wilma and I had spent the day looking at the various 5th wheel show models, just beginning our search in preparation for full timing . . . which is finally just around the corner. After we left the show, we walked around the parking lot looking at the HDTs and their 5th wheels. I think I was admiring your jeep ramp when we met you guys coming back from the show. You both spent a few minutes with us talking about the models at the show. You gave us some great advice that influenced our search for a 5th wheel . . . you suggested to buy a high end used 5th wheel and refurbish it; advice we took to heart and exactly what we ended up doing.

So, just want to say, we are thankful we met you guys that day in Tampa.

IMG_3217a.jpg.c718bc170600aa5ce52e515511d83cb7.jpg

Jim & Wilma

2006 Travel Supreme 36RLQSO

2009 Volvo VNL730, D13, I-shift, ET, Herrin Hauler bed, "Ruby"

2017 Smart

Class of 2017

Archived