RV merger impact on purchase of our new RV

PAylor

We are very excited to be going to settlement on Monday on an Ambition fifth wheel made by Augusta. Last Tuesday I found out the Augusta had merged with The RV Factory.

There has been lots of confusion in the whole process beginning with the fact that they didn't notify us, I had to chase them down. There were changes of location for settlement. Uncertainty about the settlement date. The whole thing has left us feeling very unsettled.

We feel like the RV we're getting is a good one but we've always been concerned with warranty and service since we live so far from the factory. The company will have their warranty folks there to answer our questions.

Would welcome any advice on other considerations we should discuss at settlement.

I wish you better luck than we had a couple of years ago. We have an OPEN RANGE. To make this short they were finally sold and picked up by Jayco. Bottom line, they refused to honor the OR, still under warranty. We still had roof issues and with the assistance of an attorney were able to negotiate a cash settlement. We added more of our own $$ and had an RV Armor roof with a lifetime warranty in writing. We really wish you luçk and hope it works out in your favor.

I would make very sure (in writing) that whatever warranty was provided by Augusta (the manufacturer) is going to be honored by The RV Factory. If they try to make any changes or pull any shenanigans, I'd walk away and look elsewhere for an RV.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Ask to see evidence former company (or the new) has allocated and identified money to cover warranty issues on the units that are now orphans. Greg

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

Thank you Linda.

If I'm spending tens of thousands of dollars with a stranger on something new and mechanical and the manufacturer is no longer in business to warrant it either the seller convinces me I have competent warranty or sells the thing to me dirt cheap allowing me to pay for repairs. Many of us know current RV manufacturing quality. Much of the warranty is from the appliance and suppliers but not the basic fifth wheel. There are too many other manufacturers that remain in business and can provide warranty. Greg

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

Thank you Linda.

If I'm spending tens of thousands of dollars with a stranger on something new and mechanical and the manufacturer is no longer in business to warrant it either the seller convinces me I have competent warranty or sells the thing to me dirt cheap allowing me to pay for repairs. Many of us know current RV manufacturing quality. Much of the warranty is from the appliance and suppliers but not the basic fifth wheel. There are too many other manufacturers that remain in business and can provide warranty. Greg

Where did you get Augusta is no longer in business? Is Jayco still in business? Using your logic, no, since they were bought by Thor.

Until The RV Factory provides more info, there is simply no way to know if the Augusta name will be discontinued or not. Both companies are moving to the same facility.

http://www.rvbusiness.com/2016/11/rv-factory-acquires-fiver-builder-augusta-rv/

It seems that there is confidence here that warranties are meaningful and that it provides a measure of security. That being said, it is also relevant to the substance of the policy and the company behind the policy. If, for instance, RV Armor's lifetime warranty becomes valueless perhaps because the company folds, the fact that a warranty existed, albeit a lifetime warranty, doesnt mean much.

The thing I appreciate about the fundamental value of this and other forums, is the opportunity for us all to arm ourselves with the greatest thing available to us, that is information/experience. We know that RV manufacturers come and go, and that they are simply in the business of packaging components manufactured by other companies, should help us to realize that we must do what we can to place some of the responsibilty of the performance of those components on our shoulders. We pay our money, buying those goods with the implied understanding that we are accepting responsibilty in the functionality of those goods. WE are part of the total formula. I dont care who built the package because I am part of the formula that is required to use it and to maintain it. Insurance and warranties are out there as a business as well. We are better off being armed with the knowledge and skills to use those goods in the way they were intended. When we deviate from that use, we put ourselves in harmsway, many times, unknowingly, but still in harms way.

We must accept our responsibility as the first in line to this entire line of responsibilites, then comes the manufacturers, the assemblers, the repair companies etc, etc...

Marcel

Archived