Problems understanding 50 amp vs. 30 amp. vs. 20 amp.

Luciano

OP --- "Are there any other converter plugs I should have or any other surge connections I should have besides what I mentioned? I want to make sure I have everything I need, in the event I run into any problems."

I hope that validates my post for you Al Florida.

I always keep a supply of stimulant handy in case I see a snake----which I also keep handy.
2012 Ram 2500 Cummins 6.7L CCLWB
2019 Airstream 25FB

VisitedStatesMap.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

In top condition a 15 amp outlet will run an air conditioner, one in not such good shape will have problems.

Checking the condition of both the park's socket and your plug is a good first step. Clean and tight make for good power flow and less heat issues. You can't really check the breaker or heaven forbid fuse but they are also potential failure points. Having a large conductor cable from your plug to the RV will help reduce voltage drop and heat issues so don't skimp there.

What I like to do is use an IR thermometer to keep an eye on things, if the breaker, socket or plug are much warmer that surrounding objects you may be heading for trouble. A setup that might be happy with high intermittent loads may well show stress under constant load.

We have done this and it is an aggravation to keep most everything but the AC and the charger/converter turned off AC power. Then turning of the AC unit when we do need power for some other task. Many many trips out to the park's pole when someone forgot and microwaved something or did something else that was over the breaker's limit. Still it beats sitting and sweating so it is worth getting a handle on if you anticipate the situation in your future camping plans.

You also need to keep in mind the length and gauge of cord being used not just what's at the power source. The longer the cord the less amp at the end.

2016 Western Star 5700xe (Pathfinder) DD15 555hp

w/12 speed automatic 3:05 diffs

2005 Newmar Mountain Aire 38RLPK

2 Great Danes

You also need to keep in mind the length and gauge of cord being used not just what's at the power source. The longer the cord the less amp at the end.

Not exactly, depending on the load you are powering the amps may well go up if you use a smaller cord. What always goes down as you draw more power is the voltage. An inductive load like the air conditioner can draw more current at lower voltages, an electric heater, a resistive load will draw less amps.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Not exactly, depending on the load you are powering the amps may well go up if you use a smaller cord. What always goes down as you draw more power is the voltage. An inductive load like the air conditioner can draw more current at lower voltages, an electric heater, a resistive load will draw less amps.

Stanley you are right I was think amps not volts. Thanks for the correction.

2016 Western Star 5700xe (Pathfinder) DD15 555hp

w/12 speed automatic 3:05 diffs

2005 Newmar Mountain Aire 38RLPK

2 Great Danes

What always goes down as you draw more power is the voltage. An inductive load like the air conditioner can draw more current at lower voltages, an electric heater, a resistive load will draw less amps.

A very good answer. Low voltage is a petty common issue in older RV parks.

Power cord length is a factor, but unless you are using an extension cord the length of cord used is the same whether your RV is only 3' from the pedestal or near the limit of the RV cord length. The length of cord factor is the same when stretched to the limit as when coiled inside of a storage bay, other than that stretched out it can cool somewhat better.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Archived