B, B+, C?

Jeff & Suzanne

Two Hams in a Can are back traveling as "Sometimers" in our 2012 Phoenix Cruiser 2400 Sprinter! When we were looking for a smaller rig to keep moving in (we're harder to hit that way :rolleyes: ) we kept seeing Phoenix Cruisers listed on used RV sites as Class B or B+ and sometimes Class C. As some older posts have pointed out, the lines of distinction have blurred. Anyhow, this forum is where we will visit from now on and hope we can pass along any new found information we get as well as any full time tips someone might want. Here's a pic of our Phoenix "Fawkes" (Harry Potter fans will know). More pics in another post. . .

post-4927-0-93885100-1484329069_thumb.jpg

Jeff and Suzanne with Scout and Sydney, the Cocker Spaniel Sisters touring in Fawkes the 2012 Phoenix Cruiser 2400 Sprinter

"What happens in Vagueness, stays in Vagueness"

While the nomenclature may be fuzzy, I think those who own (and therefore are trying to sell) and those who are seriously looking know the vast difference between a B and a so called B+ and the perhaps lesser difference between a C and a B+ and I don't understand why those trying to sell their B+ don't advertise it using the normally in use B+ terminology. Had some of the same difficulties when I was looking for a B+. OK, purists, go for it. :)

Then
The puller - Wiers Towmaster (Int'l 4700LP)
and pusher - 40' Travel Supreme

Now

30' Winnebago Aspect TS
Signs of my new life

Looking front to rear with slide out...

This looks like an amazing rig!

Does that table between the two chairs pull out to become a dining table?

Being built on a Sprinter chassis, I wonder how much CCC or OCC you have?

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Avan, when one watches a video on the Phoenix Cruiser website, the narrator usually refers to themselves as manufacturers of Class B+ motorhomes. None of their models has sleeping quarters over the cab.

Linda, yes the table pulls up and out when needed. the only time it is in the way is at night when the sofa/bed is out; but even when underway with the slide in it is out of the way and usable. As for ccc, here's the specs from the Phoenix website comparing the same Phoenix Cruiser model in both Ford E-350 gas and Mercedes Sprinter 3500 diesel. http://www.phoenixusarv.com/2400.html

After fulltiming in first a 30 ft Airstream TT then a 40 ft Foretravel DP, we wanted to downsize to a comfortable but accessible (read keep plugged in and stored in our driveway) means of treating "hitch itch". The 17 ft Casita was definitely a downsize, but so NOT comfortable. This PC 2400 fits the bill for us.

post-4927-0-82174100-1484407784_thumb.jpg

Jeff and Suzanne with Scout and Sydney, the Cocker Spaniel Sisters touring in Fawkes the 2012 Phoenix Cruiser 2400 Sprinter

Linda, yes the table pulls up and out when needed.

I do love the look of your new RV. And am glad to hear you still get out occasionally. I hope you still take the occasional acting gig, too.

Linda Sand

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Suzanne just directed the nation's first community theatre production of "Alabama Story" by Kenneth Jones. . .the other five productions have all been Equity (professional) productions. I did the set artwork; so yes, we are busy with theatre when not traveling in our Phoenix, "Fawkes" (re: Harry Potter) or babysitting our new grandson.

post-4927-0-24680400-1484438665_thumb.jpg

Suzanne just directed the nation's first community theatre production of "Alabama Story" by Kenneth Jones. . .the other five productions have all been Equity (professional) productions. I did the set artwork; so yes, we are busy with theatre when not traveling in our Phoenix, "Fawkes" (re: Harry Potter) or babysitting our new grandson.

Excellent! I can see you packing costumes and heading out on a traveling circuit, too. I remember when Tab Hunter came to one of our local theaters when I was a teenager! Best of luck to you both.

Linda Sand

Actually, that was part of our original plan when we joined the Escapees Fulltime Class of 2006. However, the logistics of being in one place for months at a time for rehearsals and performances ran contrary to our desire to travel the country at will. However, we did spend a number of weeks in Los Angeles two years running working as background actors (extras) in several TV series and a movie. No fame, no fortune but a lot of fun. It's in our blog somewhere.

post-4927-0-20184200-1484521209_thumb.jpg

we did spend a number of weeks in Los Angeles two years running working as background actors (extras) in several TV series and a movie. No fame, no fortune but a lot of fun. It's in our blog somewhere.

I remembered that which is why I asked.

Linda Sand

Nice looking rig. We are pondering the big question of downsizing right now. How much of a hassle do you find the fold out bed? I'm wondering where you keep the bedding, and if the mattress is horribly uncomfortable? Does it take up the whole space so you can't reach the driver and passenger seat when the bed is unfolded? Thanks!

On 1/22/2017 at 4:10 AM, tlorenz said:

Nice looking rig. We are pondering the big question of downsizing right now. How much of a hassle do you find the fold out bed? I'm wondering where you keep the bedding, and if the mattress is horribly uncomfortable? Does it take up the whole space so you can't reach the driver and passenger seat when the bed is unfolded? Thanks!

Actually, the original, not so comfortable air mattress bed in our Phoenix Cruiser (PC) is going to be replaced with a top of the line air mattress.  We use these Coleman sleeping bags with an enclosed sheet (not unlike a Travasack) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004D35S5C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and roll them up and keep them along with our pillows in the large wardrobe next to the sofa/bed. In the Phoenix Cruiser 2400, the person on the forward side of the bed can get up and easily access the driver and passenger seats. There is just enough room at the end of the bed to squeeze by to access front or back.

We have some friends who are downsizing from a 40 ft Foretravel, and are looking at something like the Phoenix Cruiser 2552 with twin beds, since they want something more like 27 ft in length. Hope this helps.

Hi tlorenz. . .thought I'd throw this in for good measure, even though it's a 2011, for all practical purposes it is like ours (we have cherry wood cabinetry).

• 1 year later...

Not sure what you mean by "registration".  We live in Illinois and our registration just says RV. . .no Class distinction.  It does list the vehicle weight.  My main observation in B+ vs C is that a B+ doesn't have a sleeping area over the cab. . .usually just the entertainment stuff.

1 hour ago, Jeff & Suzanne said:

Not sure what you mean by "registration".  We live in Illinois and our registration just says RV. . .no Class distinction. 

True in Minnesota, too. Plus an RV has a flat rate for registration here while a vehicle is based on value. The clerk was amazed that my brand new Mercedes Sprinter was so cheap to register.

Linda Sand

Archived