domicile state with business in another state

Rav

So we are looking into which state to make our domicile state. We currently are in Indiana and looking at South Dakota. Health insurance is covered so it’s a non-issue for this discussion.

We own a business that is in Indiana and after talking with our accountant we will need to file non-resident taxes, of course the business will file in Indiana. He says there are no problems having the SD residency and doing all our business in Indiana (via the internet). Do any of you see issues that we might be overlooking or not taking into consideration?

Won’t do anything until next year; want to make sure we get all the info we can prior to that.

thanks

Steve

2016 Bighorn 3760EL

Steve, Dara and Mattie dog

I'd recommend a SD bank account for having things like retirement, tax returns and the like sent to. No sense having Indiana get notifications from the feds that make it look like you have unreported income in the state. I'd pay things like licences and personal taxes from the SD account too, maybe not needed but I've been over the coals with AZ and I recommend avoiding that.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

I agree, everything will be in SD except the business as it needs to remain an Indiana entity. the accountant said since we make all our income in Indiana we will need to file as non-resident. thanks

2016 Bighorn 3760EL

Steve, Dara and Mattie dog

Archived