Do we need these things when we go FT?

RMD3819

Going FT as soon as the house sells. We will not have a S&B. Buying a class A.

There are a few things the the wife wants to bring and I don't or vice versa. Would appreciate thoughts on if we need these items:

1. Chainsaw. I like my chainsaw but don't think we will ever need it.

2. Blueboy waste container. Wife's idea is we may have an extended stay at a park without sewer so we can dump into that and tow with the car to the dump station.

3. Halogen floodlights on a tripod. These have been unused in the shed for many years. Wife wants them "just in case".

4. Pet cage. We have a small dog and cat. I want to bring this in case we get stuck in a hotel or something and need to confine the pets. It folds flat.

If we have room for all this then no problem but I think it is going to be tight.

Thoughts?

Going FT as soon as the house sells. We will not have a S&B. Buying a class A.

There are a few things the the wife wants to bring and I don't or vice versa. Would appreciate thoughts on if we need these items:

1. Chainsaw. I like my chainsaw but don't think we will ever need it. Most places you'll stay, whether at an RV park or a public/government campground, aren't going to look kindly at cutting down their trees or branches from same. Personally, we've never had need of one.

2. Blueboy waste container. Wife's idea is we may have an extended stay at a park without sewer so we can dump into that and tow with the car to the dump station. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to have one, particularly if you do a lot of boondocking and/or dry camping.

3. Halogen floodlights on a tripod. These have been unused in the shed for many years. Wife wants them "just in case". I can't imagine why you'd ever need such a thing.

4. Pet cage. We have a small dog and cat. I want to bring this in case we get stuck in a hotel or something and need to confine the pets. It folds flat. Definitely take. Our two dogs ride in a travel cage and we have used it to put them in when we visit someone and don't want them roaming the house or taking a chance on them getting out the door. If you have pets, a cage is a "must have" IMO.

If we have room for all this then no problem but I think it is going to be tight.

Thoughts?

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Based on our over 9 years on the road:

Chainsaw and flood lights? NO

Pet cage? NO, we have a cat and when a motel is needed we get one that allows pets, it will cost more but no cage needed.

Blueboy? it depends on your RVing style. We don't use remote, forest service, or boondock campsites. We want to have 30 or 50amp and water minimum. We enjoy COE (Corps of Engineer) parks which very seldom have sewer connections. We just left a 2 week stay and still had some capacity in our tanks (black 50, galley 50 & grey 50 gallon). You can use their shower/toilet facilities to supplement your tanks. I don't want to haul a blueboy around. When you purchase your RV pay attention to the size tanks it has!!!

Our plan was to purchase anything we might need IF we needed it and didn't have it. Greg

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

Chain saw might be handy occasionally, but not likely. They are a real pain to carry since they need gasoline and bar oil, both of which make a major mess. We were only fulltime for 12 years but never once regretted leaving mine behind.

The blue-boy we did not take and eventually got a replacement for it. We didn't use it much, but it was very reassuring to have along as a security device just in case. Empty they don't weigh much and most of us have more space than weight capacity.

We carried a pair of those lights with us for two years, then left them with my son so we could retrieve them if needed. We never missed them.

Pet kennel is something that I would carry but not for a motel. Motels that don't allow pets still mean that the pet has to be in your car and not the room. But your pet is safer when traveling at highway speeds if it is in the kennel and the kennel where it stays put if you should have an accident. Ours was kept inside of the RV for use on the highway.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Chainsaw and floodlights = no. Your neighbors would not appreciate you using either.

Pet cage = yes. Being able to contain a pet while your rig is worked on is good.

Blue Boy = maybe. We never felt the need for one because we were always ready to move on by the time we needed to dump. But, if you think you'll park long-term in a place with a dump but no sewer connection you might find it handy to have. Lots of people who spend the winter in a Quartzsite LTVA use them.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Chainsaw and floodlights - definitely no

Blue Boy - we carried one the first two years and sold it. We boondocked and dry camped a lot but we could stay 10-14 days on our holding tanks. That's about the time we get 'hitch itch' and are ready to move on. We dump at the next spot. The same could go for parks without sewer connection. We just planned a 10-day stay and moved on and dumped on the way out. If you have a motorhome it's easy just to drive to the dump station and dump mid-way your stay. I've see those with trailers do the same. The Blue Boy is a big thing to carry around. It can also be a messy project if you're not careful with filling and also at the dump station because you'll want to rinse it out. I'd never use it for the black water tank - just in case.

Pet Cage - since it folds flat you might as well bring it.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Good advice so far. Just my 2-bits.

Flood lights: Definitely a no go.

Folding cage: Yes. It takes minimal space and you never know when you might need it for vet visits, having to hop a plane unexpectedly for a family emergency or special event, etc.

Blue boy: No. Not from the get go, but you might find you want one later on down the road. It's a very large/cumbersome "just in case" item that you may never use.

Chainsaw: It depends. I would never be without one, but I spend nearly all of my time in rather remote locations in the West. Clearing blowdowns/hangers on a BLM/NFS road is perfectly acceptable (even welcomed), but more importantly, being able to get yourself back out. In a class A I wouldn't expect you to find yourself in locations like that so.. probably best to pass it on to a relative/friend for safe keeping for now.

It depends on your life style and what you like to do. I carry a chainsaw, but I enjoy using it and look for opportunities to use it. We are currently staying on a farm waiting for the sugar beet season to start and have been using our chainsaw for the last 2 days steady. There is a 2 acre woods near by that has a lot of fallen trees and the farmer offered pay if we would clean it up. Things I like to do but it is not for everyone.

As far as the animal cage, we have a cat, so we carry a cage to be prepared. We double use the carrier for storing towels and car/camper cleaning supplies which are easy to grab.

We don't carry a honey wagon and either stay away from situations that require one or make that part of the deal that one is to be provided.

I don't carry any flood lights, but do have a couple of battery flash/flood lights for emergencies.

Greg

It depends on your life style and what you like to do. I carry a chainsaw, but I enjoy using it and look for opportunities to use it.

Ditto, I have the chainsaw stored near where we summer. There a always storms that leaves lots of cleanup, People in those area need help and there are churches & such that organize the work.

The reason I bought a generator in my Fifth Wheel is giving a me a chance to help where the is.

Clay

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

Chainsaw and flood lights NO. Hate it when we are near someone that thinks they need to light up the world at night.

Pet cage - No, unless your pets are used to sleeping in one - then yes so you can keep their routine close to normal for sleeping.

Blue boy - Yes - we carry one and have used it at a city park and corp of engineer parks when we want to stay more than 4-5 days. We can't quite make it the 14 days allowed at the corp parks without it.

Pat DeJong

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

It's not really clear whether you have a folding wire cage or a pet carrier. Besides travel safety and vet visits, we've had to use the crate more than once when the rig was being serviced. Even if you're just in the shop for an hour or two, it can get REALLY hot in the truck and fiver. I can take Kitty into the cool waiting area with me if she's in her crate. She also gets loaded in the crate if it looks like we may head for shelter during storms. She feels safe and I can grab her and go if necessary.

4. Pet cage. We have a small dog and cat. I want to bring this in case we get stuck in a hotel or something and need to confine the pets. It folds flat.

Just an fyi, La Quinta hotels allow your pets to stay and don't charge extra. With Kitty in her crate we can roll her in on the cart with our luggage and don't have to worry about running into a dog along the way or the myriad of other distractions during check in.

Absolutely take a carrier like the one referenced. Cats feel much more secure when you have to take them somewhere or have to sit in a waiting room while your RV is worked on.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

About motels. We have traveled with 2 cats since 2005. For 4 1/2 years we fulltimed. Currently we travel 4-8 months of the year. We have never had to stay in a motel.

Many times but not always RV repair places let you stay at night in your RV in their parking lot while repairs are made during the daytime.

That is not to say that there aren't some repairs that you MUST leave the RV in the shop and you stay in the motel. It is that it doesn't happen all that often.

'

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

About the blueboy. Don't take one.

If you find that you do stay in an RV park w/o sewer for long periods, then order one from Amazon or Camping world. The chances are you will seldom if ever need one.

On the rare occasion you have to dump before you are ready to leave, then drive the RV to the dump and come back and park. Yes it is a hassle to do that. Just not as much as a hassle as storing and hauling around that big blue tank.

If you find you do spend many weeks at a time in a place where the blueboy would be very useful then buy one.

Also keep in mind, if the dump is 1/4-1/2 mile away from where you are parked, it is not convenient to tow the blueboy that far. Also sometimes the roads are rough and can be rocky. The blue boy doesn't do well on rocky rough roads or going in and out of pot holes.

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

For what it's worth, something that helped me decide what to take and not take when beginning fulltime...

If I was going to use something daily or weekly, I took it. If it took up no significant space and added no huge amount of weight, and would be used often, I took it (hand tools for example).

But the big things, or infrequent used things, like a chainsaw, I decided to rent or borrow if the need ever arose. So far in 2 1/2 years, I have not needed any of the things I considered taking but left behind. And haven't yet had to rent anything either.

Ya just can't RV without a hitch.....!

Big spot lights.

If you are in an RV Park, they usually are well lit and you won't need them.

If you are dry camping or boondocking, most people only want the ambient light from the stars or moon. It is fairly bright outside when you are out in the middle of nowhere. Also your neighbor in the National Forest or BLM CG will be most unhappy with having your bright light shinning into their campsite when they want to enjoy the dark evening watching the stars/moon. Same with boondocking. Very few boondockers want bright lights. They are boondocking because they just want the peace and quiet of the outdoors and that includes the darkness.

Every time some idiot 50 yards away leaves their porch light on all night we grumble and complain. Heaven forbid the grumbling when someone has to put up strings of lights on their awning and light up the whole campground.

To be clear, I classify dry camping as staying in a place with a defined campsite, usually a numbered site. Such as a NF or BLM campground. Boondocking as a place where you park out in the boondocks where there is no clearly defined campsite. Such as driving down a back road in the NF or BLM areas and finding a level area to park your RV.

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

So many responses.

For me, I'll be mostly boondocking so Yes to the chainsaw. Doesn't hurt to have one. I'm already running out of space though.

Maybe to the Blue Boy, if you find you need it down the road

No to the halogen lights. If they haven't been used in your home, you are even less likely to need them on the road.

If I had a pet that needed a carrier (my old cat will likely be put down due to health issues before I hit the road in a year) then I would have one. I have two border collies that don't need one so I won't have one for them.

2007 Keystone Springdale 245 FWRLL-S (modified)

2000 F-250 7.3L SRW

Cody and Kye, border collie extraordinaires

Latest departure date: 10/1/2017

Find us at www.nomadicpawprints.wordpress.com

In regard to the blueboy, I think it is hard to say without knowing your RV's waste tank capacities, where and how you will camp and what water conservation behavioral modifications you want to or are willing to make. Our RV has much smaller tanks than many who have already responded. Gray water is our limiting factor if it can not be dumped as we don't make any great effort to change our habitats or use facilities outside the RV. We stay at a lot of BLM, Forest Service, State Park and Corps of Engineers campgrounds that do not have sewer connections but have dump stations or gray water disposal sites.

I do have an 18 gallon blueboy. Space is not an issue with a long bed pickup with a cap. Often I use what I consider a poorman's blueboy. I store the sewer fitings rubber gloves, etc, in an old 5 gallon plastic cat litter container with a tight fitting lid. By removing the lids, several can be stacked taking up little more space than one. One of the fittings I carry has a hose end which allows filling the buckets with gray water with no spillage. With the lids in place, the buckets can be transport easily with no spillage. In my opinion, using the blueboy or buckets is much easier/more convenient than taking the RV to the dump station.

1. Chainsaw.

we have a battery powered one- used it once when the park allowed people to collect dead wood for their campfires.

Even the noise from a small battery powered one was not appreciated.

2. Blueboy waste container.

Bought one for $5 at a garage sale, 2 years ago. Have never used it. Would rather move the rig.

3. Halogen floodlights on a tripod.

Absolutely not.

4. Pet cage.

YES. No Brainer.

Gives you flexibility, assuming its the only carrier you'll have. We have a cat and have used ours for Vet visits, to let the cat sit outside with us (pre-leash days), in hotels, and also when the rig is being worked on. If workers are going in and out of the rig, I can't give the cat free reign or he will wander out the door.

Sue and Paul- fulltimed 2009 -2015 with Dozer, our Gray Tuxedo cat

2012 DRV Mobile Suites 36TKSB4 pulled by a 2020 F350 Platinum

Our "vacation home" : 2018 Arctic Fox 1150 truck camper

RIP Dozey

http://soos-ontheroad.blogspot.com/

My comment is no to all.

We traveled with 2 cats, each had their own place where they curled up while traveling and slept. Of course, with a motorhome we weren't moving them in and out, but we did have small carriers when we went to the vets, etc.

Can't imagine what you think you would be doing with a chainsaw, nor would I want that in my bays.

Never figureed out where we could put a blue-boy, no way would have I have that in my storage bays.

Halogens lights for what?

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Chain saw. I have one (electric) and 100' of cord. I was always more than 100' from where I needed to cut so I only have used it once. Better would be a battery powered sawsall with a wood blade. Clean, able to trim and cut firewood.

Lights. Never used any

Blue boy. Never have carried one, and only wished I had one one time that we were parking at Quartzsite.

No animals. We stay dry and watch other people walk theirs in the rain.

2007 Tiffin Allegro Bus 42 QRP
"BessyBus ll"
ATT hot spot
Winegard Traveler
M&G Braking system
Roadmaster Sterling tow bar
08 Dodge Dakota toad
Sea Eagle 10.6sr Inflatable

1957 Johnson 5.5
SKP 98998 Class of "08"

Archived