Directv Getting Out Of Satellite Business

A couple of months ago I read an article that Directv was going to get out of the satellite TV business and deliver their programming entirely by streaming. My contract with them is up next month. I received a call from Directv to tell me that I'm eligible for an equipment upgrade and I asked the caller about the story. She indicated it was true but it was not near term.

Maybe now's the time for me to make the switch to Dish. Anyone have any more info on Directv's new business model?

If this is true, they will be cutting off their own nose to spite their face. They have millions of customers, like me, who can not get sufficient internet bandwidth to stream video. Having been bought by AT&T gives them more of the streaming capability, but I seriously doubt they will totally abandon the technology that has made them what they are.

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

That's certainly the trend in the industry. More and more people are cutting the cord, traditional television providers are losing customers, both cable and satellite (relatively speaking). However, as more do this, the internet service providers are feeling the pressure and the opportunity and are implementing data caps.

There are problems with this model, however. Many people still do not have access to dependable, affordable broadband. Until they do, there will be a market for satellite and other TV providers.

I wouldn't doubt that in the future satellite TV will be phased out. However, I doubt it will happen overnight or so suddenly that you won't have time to adapt.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

This is all over the RV forums. DirecTV has NEVER said they are getting out of the stellite business. They are testing the waters with their new streaming service, DirecTV Now. So far the reviews are not good. In addition, for now they will make no money from this endeavour. So it will be fun to watch the price go up, the offerings change or the whole thing go away. And what happens in those area where there is NO CELL SERVICE or the signal is poor? There are many other reasons this can not work in place of satellite at this time. What they have said is that they will be working to make streaming a major part of their business plan. NOT that they are discontinuing satellite. Perhaps in the future, streaming will be the way to get your entertainment. In the future, perhaps we will have flying cars, warp engines to travel the stars and be able to transport instantly from one place to another. But those things aren't going to happen tomorrow. So when they announce the shutdown date of the satellite systems, you can toss your dish. Until then, enjoy what you have and don't make any big decisions on purchases or services based on what MIGHT happen. Chuck

58dd65872f8a7_ReducedRVandCar.jpg.cf7b626fb3b5b05ebc20cb05195193a2.jpg

Chuck and Susan      1999 Fleetwood Bounder 34            Triton V10 on Ford Chassis

This is all over the RV forums. DirecTV has NEVER said they are getting out of the satellite business.

This "rumor" keeps reappearing on RV forums despite the fact that it is a gross distortion of what has been publicly stated. In the Spring there was a report on a vendor website that DTV might stop MPEG2 SD service when it retires the 101 satellite in ~2019. Then the CEO of AT&T said that the "future" of DTV was in streaming but even he admitted that many customers will rely on satellites in the meantime.

Nowhere did DTV say that it was getting out of the satellite business any time soon, but this topic has been a popular one on most of the RV forums where it takes on the tenor of " the sky is falling. Even at some time in the future when DTV starts to treat satellite customers as "legacy technology" you can be pretty sure that the satellite service will be around for many decades to come. Probably a lot longer than any of us are going to need it!

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

• 2 weeks later...

Some of you that are using the service may already know this. For those of you that have not tried it yet, this is a must read...

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/12/atts-directv-now-plagued-with-outages-and-sports-blackouts/

Chuck

58dd65872f8a7_ReducedRVandCar.jpg.cf7b626fb3b5b05ebc20cb05195193a2.jpg

Chuck and Susan      1999 Fleetwood Bounder 34            Triton V10 on Ford Chassis

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I noticed the other day I could now get Direct TV on my Amazon Fire TV.

It's amazing how the Fire is growing and it looks like the internet will in the future will provide the content.

It is possible to get many things through Amazon Fire. I really like ours because we only have internet from our Charter Cable service provider (in stick and brick) but to get options like TCM, NFL, etc, one has to have a cable TV package from the provider. I'm making an assumption here that would also include Direct TV. Bummer.

As we get closer to full timing one of my personal to do items is figure out reliable, fast-ish, internet connectivity. Perhaps a wi-fi booster?

And by the way, for secure internet activity from anywhere may I suggest you look into a Keezel VPN device? I have felt pretty exposed on the free wi-fi hotspots at the RV parks.

Check it out here: https://www.cnet.com/products/keezel/preview/ or look it up on Indiegogo.com.

• 2 weeks later...

It is possible to get many things through Amazon Fire. I really like ours because we only have internet from our Charter Cable service provider (in stick and brick) but to get options like TCM, NFL, etc, one has to have a cable TV package from the provider. I'm making an assumption here that would also include Direct TV. Bummer.

As we get closer to full timing one of my personal to do items is figure out reliable, fast-ish, internet connectivity. Perhaps a wi-fi booster?

And by the way, for secure internet activity from anywhere may I suggest you look into a Keezel VPN device? I have felt pretty exposed on the free wi-fi hotspots at the RV parks.

Check it out here: https://www.cnet.com/products/keezel/preview/ or look it up on Indiegogo.com.

We just went full time and I wrestled with some of the same issues.

We have the ATT/DirecTV deal where our phones have unlimited data. We already had both services and when they merged and offered this deal it was a no brainer.

I also bought a Verizon unlimited data account from a data reseller and now have a hotspot with unlimited data. $1300 for the account, $200 for the hotspot, $50/month to Verizon. Worth every penny. We bought this a few months before going FT and wound up cancelling our home internet with Comcast. This was faster and cheaper.

I can stream from a phone or the hotspot without worrying about data or whether the park wifi is good enough, secure, etc. Don't need a wifi extender either.

• 2 weeks later...

DirecTV will be phasing out standard definition service in the upcoming years retaining HD and expanding 4K. They are not getting out of the satellite delivery business. In fact they have even more satellite capacity (transponders) not yet on-line but up there in testing. They will be used for a variety of things including 4K.

They will be phasing out replacement equipment for non-SWM installations which does impact those who do not have SWM - Single Wire Mulitswitch LNB's. I.e. one must have SWM for the new or replacement receivers to work. However, most all of those can be converted to SWM systems and will not require any cabling changes to the roof. The coversion is done after the exising equipment so no dish removal or the like. The Trav'ler antennas, going back some 10 years, can be converted to SWM without too much difficulty and minor cost. As to the much older dome antennas, "it depends." Those could be problematic. YMMV

Bill & Linda
2014 New Horizons Majestic F37RLTSS 96
2016 RAM 5500HD \ 4-Wheel Drive \ Link Air Ride
Classy Chassis RV Hauler Bed Conversion \ Aux Fuel Tank

Archived