Small heater with remote thermostat control for wet bay heat?

We need to purchase a small heater to place in the compartment behind our wet bay in our MH

Ideally we would like one with a remote thermostat control

What do you recommend

Circumstances have us staying put near Richmond, VA thru January and it can get cold here at night

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

I run a heat tape in the bay with the built in thermostat hanging outside . It comes on at 37° and off a bit above that . We haven't had a worry in 4 years of freezing temps . Just make sure that the tape does not touch itself by crossing or such .

I'd worry too much about any open heater type in a situation like what you describe .

Goes around , comes around .

I use an auto trouble light OR spot light. An incandescent bulb puts out an amazing amount of heat in a small closed compartment. I monitor it with a wireless thermometer. I would be afraid of a space heater in such a small space. Bulbs worked great for me in VA.

Paul (KE5LXU), former fulltimer, now sometimer...

'03 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage 40E

'05 Honda Odyssey

Escapees, FMCA, WIT, SMART

http://www.pjrider.com

Lasko makes a 200 watt space heater called "Myheat" that is useful in such cases., under $20. You can hook it to a thermostatically controlled outlet for pump houses and such, the common one goes on at 35 F and costs under $15. No need for a remote thermostat. If you really worry, put the thermostatically controlled outlet outside.

Amazon Lasko MyHeat - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003XDTWN2.

Amazon Thermostatically Controlled Outlet - http://www.amazon.com/Farm-Innovators-TC-3-Thermostatically-Controlled/dp/B0006U2HD2.

Programmable outlet - http://www.amazon.com/Lux-Heating-Cooling-Programmable-Thermostat/dp/B000E7NYY8.

Terrarium heat pads also might work.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

Linda,

You will remember the 2003 HR Ambassador we had. It had exactly what you are looking for in the sanitary compartment. A small 12vdc heater with internal fixed thermostat that was controlled by switch on panel inside. I never could figure out who made it. You would know I never used it, except once when in freezing, terribly cold, death dealing weather in N FL! Several nights it got down into the mid 20's and it did not come on (indicator light inside on the panel with many buttons and lights) and I figured it did not work. Then the next night it was only 30 degrees and it came on - I went outside to see why and I had left the compartment door open. It was glowing away. I shut the door and in a hour or so it went off. So it was very effective.

I think you have some good suggestions above and I will look to see if I can find one like I had. It had a mount that would make it easy to install.

We are currently volunteering at Cradle of Forestry in America near Asheville NC and it is getting way too cold, but we are heading south in just 18 more cold days! Fall colors have been beautiful, however!!

Give our best to Ron, If i find the device I will send info!

Bob & BJ
On the road (part time) to ournextstop!
2019 Bounder 35P
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (Oscar)

I also have one of those "My Heat" small cube heaters. Most of those that have a remote control also have the thermostat on that remote and so the remote still has be be in the space where heat is needed.

Like Paul, we have a remote thermometer in storage bays. I keep a thermometer that has several remotes and keep one outside, and with our motorhome I had one in each of the wet bays. That way I could keep an eye on all three temperatures as well as inside.

412b89MjgdL.jpg

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Forgot to mention the first time I used the light bulbs & remote thermometer sensors. Our first winter trip was to visit my parents in Western NM near the Continental Divide. Temp was never above 15 below zero for the week we were there. The 60 watt bulbs kept the water bay at 39 degrees our higher, and water pump compartment in high 40s. We also learned the tile floorin the galley was a real shock on bare feet!

Paul (KE5LXU), former fulltimer, now sometimer...

'03 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage 40E

'05 Honda Odyssey

Escapees, FMCA, WIT, SMART

http://www.pjrider.com

I also have one of those "My Heat" small cube heaters. Most of those that have a remote control also have the thermostat on that remote and so the remote still has be be in the space where heat is needed.

412b89MjgdL.jpg

Could you provide a link to a "My Heat" heater with a remote control please?

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

Mr K

Do you remember where you purchased the above stat/remotes shown in your post. We have one with (2) remotes but (3) would be nice to have.

2010 Newmar Dutch Aire 4304-Spartan Chassis-Cummins ISL 425hp-2013 Chevrolet Equinox AWD Towed-SKP# 120487-FMCA #402879-

I've never seen one with a remote, but this is where I got mine, from Amazon online. I control mine with a cold weather thermal cube, also from Amazon.

Okay, I guess I misunderstood your post. I've never seen a small heater with the thermostat built into the remote. IMO, that would be a poor design as when the remote batteries got low or if the user took the remote into another room beyond it's range, the heater would just keep running until it hit the high limit switch temperature.

Of the battery operated heater remotes I've seen, the thermostat itself is located within the heater. The remote has on/off and temperature selection.

But, I learn something new everyday.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

Do you remember where you purchased the above stat/remotes shown in your post. We have one with (2) remotes but (3) would be nice to have.

If you mean the picture, it was taken from Amazon, but the local Walmart also has some of them. But that is a thermometer with remote sensors, not a thermostat. If you mean the cube, that also came from Amazon.

Kirk, Paul & Bob. Thanks that is exactly what I was looking for

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

Of the battery operated heater remotes I've seen, the thermostat itself is located within the heater. The remote has on/off and temperature selection.

I believe that ours was from Lasco and the remote thermostat was the reason that I bought the heater. Since we were heating the RV living area, it was far more effective since the remote thermostat was placed in the center of the room to be heated, while the heater was sitting near the dash, blowing into the room.

Archived