Cheap propane!

dartmouth01

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We're working in New Jersey and go through a 30# bottle every 5 or 6 days. A local station charges $25/30 lb bottle and a propane dealer about 15 miles down the road charges $22/30 lb bottle. Not cheap at $3.14 to 3.55 per gallon.

Avoid Bill Thomas Campers off I 70 in Wentzville, MO. They charged me almost $6/gal - 40 lb tank was $53. I paid $18 to fill the same tank in CO Springs. Yes, I should have asked the price first! I just didn't expect it to be so high.

2005 Safari Simba 37PCT

Fulltimer - resident of Polson, MT

Mostly in CO, MT, NC & KW FL

USAF Retired

People have recently given prices for propane in Yuma, Prescott, and Quartzsite, Arizona, as well as central Wisconsin and New Jersey. However, I don't see any of these reported on the altfuelprices website. I'm having trouble understanding the resistance to helping other people out by adding the locations to a searchable database for this information.

If the station isn't listed yet, it will take a couple of minutes to find and add the information, but the potential impact is vastly higher than posting it here. If the station is listed, it probably takes less time to update the price than posting here. Why the reluctance?

• 3 weeks later...

Downtown Congress, AZ $2.49/gal. 2 days ago. I think name of the place was B&B Auto Repair or something similar. Two weeks ago I filled 20 gallon tank at N. Ranch for $3.15/gal. Did I get GOUGED?

'98 Volvo, '03 Newmar Mountain Aire 5er,
'07 Polaris Ranger
Part timing all the time

photo-25557.jpg?__rand=0.62441800+135093

• 1 month later...

Back in November I was quoted at a local RV dealer it'd be about $45 to fill my 30# tank. Today while searching UHauls in the Milwaukee WISCONSIN area and Southeastern WI. area they list propane at $3.79 - 4.19/GAL!! Does propane really fluctuate like this or run like regular gas prices?! At this rate it may cost me more to camp then living in my residential home paying the WE Energies Gas Co.!! Current reg gas is about $3.65/gal. And is propane taxed like regular gas since I know WI has one of the highest gas tax.

• 4 weeks later...

Buying propane is a tricky game. You have to pay attention to what is being offered.

A Little About Propane Tanks

These "20 lb" tanks are designed to take 20 pounds of propane. They can actually fit another 20% in the tank, but that extra space is designed for expansion as the temperature changes.

propane-tare-weight.jpg

All propane tanks have a "tare weight" or "T.W." stamped on the collar of the tank. For a grill sized tank you simply calculate the tare weight + 20 lbs, and that's how much the tank should weigh when it's full. Most 20 lb tanks have a tare weight of +/- 17 pounds when completely empty. This means a "full" propane tank should weigh about 37 pounds.

The Math on Refills at Costco

Internet searches suggest the following:

• 1 gallon of propane weighs 4.2 pounds
  • A "full" 20 lb cylinder should have 4.7 gallons or propane in it

I called around and the local U-Haul place wanted $16 for a refill. I remember Costco has a sign for $9.99 refills. I thought I was getting a great deal, but it turns out I pretty much got no deal.

costco-20-lb-propane-tank-fill-receipts.

Costco is a bit deceiving because they first hand you a slip that says "20 lb cylinder". When you pay inside the receipt says "20lb PROPANE", and the filling print out says "Cylinder: 20S lbs." The only defense is that the filling print out is honest and says "3.6 gallons". However, nobody knows off the top of their head that a propane tank is supposed to have 4.7 gallons to be considered "full". By saying 3.6 gallons, they are masking the fact that they put in 75%. If they wanted to be upfront they'd say "we will put 15 lbs of propane into this 20 lb cylinder".

This means Costco puts in 15 lb of propane.

costco-propane-refill-full-tank-weight.j

3.6 gallons / 4.7 gallons = 75% of the normal fill.

or, said another way

(4.2 pounds/gallons) * (3.6 gallons) = 15 pounds

The word on the web forums is that the Blue Rhino and AmeriGas similar exchange services put in 75%, or 15 lbs.

If you do the math on Costco, it's actually not a bad price. It's in line, if not cheaper, than paying $16 for a full 20 lbs. Though, Costco's use of the "20 lb" phrase is unfortunate. I think their motivation is to have a cheaper price, so members think they are getting a great deal. Plus, by only filling 75% they make members come back more often, and go inside to shop while they wait.

Conclusion

• If you're looking for the best price, owning a propane tank and re-filling it is going to be cheaper than using an exchange service. As always, you pay a premium for convenience.
  • Ask how much propane is going into the cylinder. There should be 20 pounds going in for full capacity.
  • Weigh the tank when you get home and
  • How much should the tank weigh?
    38 lbs. for a full 20 lb. size propane tank, 18 lbs. if empty.
    54 lbs. for a full 30 lb. size propane tank, 24 lbs. if empty.
    70 lbs. for a full 40 lb. size propane tank, 29 lbs. if empty..
  • Costco's propane price is still fair when you do the math. They are not cheating you your just thinking apples when your being billed for oranges.
  • So be careful of "Deals" From not only Costco but all discounters.

VisitedProvincesMapSM.jpgSM.jpgVisitedMexcianStatesMapsm.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Bretz RV dealership in Missoula, MT sells propane for $0.99 per gallon from March - September. Best deal I have ever seen. I can get my 40 lb. tanks filled for under $10. They have to take a loss but I guess it gets people into the dealership to look at RVs!

Smokey & Pam
2016 Tiffin Allegro Open Road
15 Jeep Cherokee

• 4 weeks later...

Camping World in El Paso sells propane to Good Sam members on Tuesday and Wednesday for $1.99/gal. Regular price is $3.59 for Good Sam members and $3.99 to the general public.

This savings alone can pay the Good Sam membership, especially if you have one close by. I think its the best deal within 100 miles of my house, so I fill up there on the way out of town on trips.

1995 Safari Continental 38' Class A DP - prepping for fulltime status

1980 Winnebago Minnie Winne 20' Class C 360 - nearly retired itself, permanently resides at my father's place for extra bedrooms.

Beginning the quasi-fulltime adventure in the Summer of 2014 when I retire from the Army.

Archived