Place to Hardwire compresson for air hitch

Darkhorse

The used air hitch I bought has an air compressor that constantly applies or decreases pressure. Anyone know of a good solid place on the tractor to tap in? The brake lights are the only lighting I see that goes back to the end of the truck, that is not sufficient and I wouldnt want to tap into those if it was. I am thinking I may just have to wire directly into the batteries and put a relay in so it is only powered when the key is on. Hmmm wonder if the Jackalopee can be used for this on one of the aux slots? Any thoughts or help greatly appreciated.

truckntrailer1.jpg

2006 Peterbilt 387 -2013 Dutchmen Voltage 3950

Typically, the position of the hitch plate relative to the deck on your truck is the only thing that really matters.

Most of the time, you achieve that position with a leveling valve tied into your truck air system that is identical to the valve that governs the position of your rear axles relative to your frame.

That way, you can use your truck's air system, and you never have to worry about air pressures. Very simple, and that's the way the air systems in these trucks are designed to function. I have a gauge that tells me how much pressure is in my rear air bags, but that is only useful if I think I may be overweight on the scales, and that only applies if I am running commercial which I'm not.

There were days in the past however when that gauge meant quite a lot. lol

Geo

George,
Suzuki Celerio 998cc

Yamaha NMAX scooter

Work ride is Western Star N2 Tri-Tri tanker at 56,500kg loaded

I'm with Geo on this one, Darkhorse -- get a leveling valve and tap the air system.

But, if you really want to go with the electric compressor, I'd run a separate circuit from the fuse box. Peterbilt sells relatively inexpensive taps that will plug into any of several available tap locations in the fuse box, depending on whether you want to wire it hot all the time (not a good choice for that application), available when the key is in either the ACC or RUN position, or RUN only. I've had several 12 volt accessories wired via those factory-style taps in my T2000.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

For a air compressor like that (seat, suspension) you are dead on. Go to the batteries...add a 30A fuse and a relay (one of these is perfect http://www.waytekwire.com/item/46095/Power-Relay-Module-Studs/ ) and wire the relay enable to a switched power source in the fuse panel.

I too think you would be better with a leveling valve and truck air, but if you want to use the compressor thats the way to do it.

No camper at present.

Way too many farm machines to maintain.

For a air compressor like that (seat, suspension) you are dead on. Go to the batteries...add a 30A fuse and a relay (one of these is perfect http://www.waytekwire.com/item/46095/Power-Relay-Module-Studs/ ) and wire the relay enable to a switched power source in the fuse panel.

I too think you would be better with a leveling valve and truck air, but if you want to use the compressor thats the way to do it.

X2

I belive your trying to make this work with both your pickup and the HD.

Might work better and easier to put a tee and quick connect fitting at the compressor so you could use the compressor when hooked to your pickup but hook up air from your HD when useing that.

I also plumped into my old air line for the slider and the tapped in at the dash side for a air gauge and switch to adjust air.

Not sure about your air safe but it's nice to be able to adjust pressure on the fly depending on how I'm loaded.

I was only going to use the compressor because its there, I dont have much faith in how long it would/will last. It has a leveling valve that keeps the hitch at 7". I hadnt considered the truck air because of the relatively high pressure compared to what I would think this compressor is delivering but I guess it wouldnt make much difference to the leveling valve already on the hitch? I will have to look into this option. I really dont like having more items (especially electrical) than necessary.

truckntrailer1.jpg

2006 Peterbilt 387 -2013 Dutchmen Voltage 3950

I just use a regulator between the truck cab suspension and the hitch - 40 psi , as long as there are no leaks....works . I get out to check height before hitch up and spin the regulator control (to zero) to relieve contact pressure on hitch plate for the disconnect ,then pull out from under trailer.

Have to get out and look anyway.

2005 volvo 670 freedomline singled
Newmar Torrey Pine 34rsks
woot woot

The truck air pressure is irrelevant when you use a leveling valve--it lets only the pressure needed into the system to hold the set height. If your hitch is pressure dependant (no leveling valve), than, yes you would need a regulator.

No camper at present.

Way too many farm machines to maintain.

Archived