Onan 5500 gen help

Broncohauler

if yours is plugged like mine was that won't work, the crud was in the bottom of the bowl in a small pocket. I private messaged you my phone # give me a call if you have any questions I run a small engine repair shop and we deal with this stuff all the time.

fafae520-1aa0-49f3-ae8e-a1a633229da0.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Update

I finelly got it fixed.

The generator would run fine for 1/2 hour then die out of fuel. Tryed filling the carb full or carb cleaner and letting it sit over night but that didn't help.

Turns out it's the fuel pump. It gets hot and shuts down. Took a lot of research but that was it.

Bought a new one from AMAZAN $40.00

Have had the gen set runing all day with the air on Looks good.

But now I need 2- new 6 volt batteries it never ends and a new pop off valve for the water heater.

sweet!! Glad you got it working.

It's always something , aint it? Surely you didn't think the gen set was the last issue? I showed my tire guy at least 4 "next project"s on my truck today.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

sweet!! Glad you got it working.

It's always something , aint it? Surely you didn't think the gen set was the last issue? I showed my tire guy at least 4 "next project"s on my truck today.

Yes always something but that's the fun of it.

Today we also replaced a leaking hubseal and brakes #2 axle. ( got to drive it more).

And all 4 rear brake cans. Only because they where painted purple and that means they had over 1.5 million miles on them. Un real I was going to change out all brake lines but I can't Believe it but they're still good even on the inside after all these years. (1997).

I guess the one good thing about CA no rain or snow so no rust or dry rot

• 2 months later...

I now have problems along this line on an Onan 5500. Long story short, now for sure there is no voltage ever(priming or cranking the starter) getting to fuel pump. Am I understanding correctly that the float solenoid stops the pump from running? If that is the case I should be able to short to the two leads of this solenoid and be able to have current to the pump. Is this correct? thanks

If I understand you correctly you checked voltage at the fuel pump and you do not have any power??

Do you have power at the solenoid? one wire is ground the other is power.

If you have power getting to the solenoid but no power getting to the fuel pump is a good chance the tiny needle in the solenoid is stuck.

Do not do not do not take the carburetor apart or pull out that solenoid. It's a throwaway $300 carburetor I have never heard of one running after it was taken apart.

Check to make sure you do have power at the solenoid.

If you do I put 12 V to the fuel pump and make sure it does work.

If you do have power to the solenoid and the fuel pump does work.

I had very good luck by loosening the drain screw on the float bowl and draining all the old fuel out. Then pull off the fuel line and fill the carburetor full of carb cleaner and allowing it to sit overnight to get rid of all the varnish.

Drain the carb cleaner into a plastic container or water bottle and see how bad it looks repeat if necessary and let it sit for an hour two.

These carburetors are very delicate the jet holes are extremely tiny and can be varnished over from what I found in less than a couple weeks.

Yes these fuel issues are very common with the Onon generators. Some older 5000 series generators had fuel filters included in the fuel pumps them selves plus an additional inline filter. Some of the inline filters are so fine that even after blowing them out or cleaning with carb cleaner they still will not let fuel flow freely through them, its almost like the screen gets a fuel membrane over it. I have found that I include a fuel filter change at least every 500 hrs. of service. I have over 1300 hrs. of service on my Onon Marquis 5500. I change oil (Castrol 5w30) and filter every 100 hrs. With this service routine I never need to add oil between changes and I always add Sea Foam to my fuel. The oil even stays fairly clean. We boondock often and often run the gen-set 12 to 14 hours at a time without issue.

One thing our Onon DOES NOT like Synthetic oil. It spits it out threw the carburetor. Once this happens it runs like crap, clean it up and back to mothers own for a happy purring little engine. The Onon fuel filter # for my machine is 149-2341 30 microns, however I use the Napa cross reference filters that run about $5.00. The Onon filters I have found have been about $14.00. For Onon parts try Smok Stak.com for any type of engine parts, a pretty good source. When we are home for a while or have the anchor dropped someplace I run the genset for 15 or 20 minuets every month.

GOOD LUCK AN HAPPY TRAILS

roadfitter

roadfitter

2000 T-2000 10 speed autoshift DD430/500 H.P.

2001 Alfa 39' Toyhouse

http://community.webshots.com/user/roadfitter597

Holiday lite trucks.

• 2 weeks later...

Broncohauler, I have followed your instructions and now have the fuel pump operating. Now I can get the engine to run for maybe 5 seconds from time to time. It seems to me that sometimes the engine is flooded and sometimes it is getting no fuel at all. I am thinking the needle is still sticking some. What voltage should I see going to the solenoid while cranking the starter. I was showing 3 volts plus. What do you suggest next? thanks

I have absolutely no idea what the voltage would be you would have to check with Onan on that.

If it would not start it all in by cleaning the carburetor you are now able to get it run a little your on the the right track.

On mine it was the fuel pump it would run for only a few minutes and shut down. Fuel pump was overheating and shutting.

One other time I did have to replace the carburetor I can dig up the part number if you need it I saw my receipt a couple weeks ago it cost $149 that was about five years ago

I also found a few good videos on YouTube I believe it was RV doctor?

Just don't take it apart from what they all said you don't never run again after .

I will send you a PM with contact info for an Onan repair guy. That is just one thing he does. Text him but don't phone him. E-mail him if you want. I saw him today and mentioned this topic to him.

Rarely is there a time when I visit his shop he doesn't have 1 or 2 generators on the floor in for repair.

He left today to go camping, he will be back next Sunday sometime. With the weather supposed to be poor, he may get bored and contact you. He may be able to diagnose the issue but best to go directly to him rather than thru me.

It will be a 250 # in Victoria BC.

R

Archived