BC Ferries discount program - Vancouver to Victoria this summer

G&K

If anyone is thinking about coming to Vancouver Island this summer, this promotion can save you a boatload of money. Pun intended.

Thanks to Roger Dickinson for giving me the clue to find the promo!!

http://www.bcferries.com/promotions/size-up-the-savings.html?gclid=Cj0KEQjwiN6sBRDK2vOO_vaRs5cBEiQAfsnJCele_4nBFif3ytZA9exYDOvcXNx5gilqRNIuV74clQsaAq578P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

You only pay $2 per foot over 20' instead of the usual $6-something. Cuts my fare nearly in half.

Geo

George,
Suzuki Celerio 998cc

Yamaha NMAX scooter

Work ride is Western Star N2 Tri-Tri tanker at 56,500kg loaded

If anyone is thinking about coming to Vancouver Island this summer, this promotion can save you a boatload of money. Pun intended.

Thanks to Roger Dickinson for giving me the clue to find the promo!!

http://www.bcferries.com/promotions/size-up-the-savings.html?gclid=Cj0KEQjwiN6sBRDK2vOO_vaRs5cBEiQAfsnJCele_4nBFif3ytZA9exYDOvcXNx5gilqRNIuV74clQsaAq578P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

You only pay $2 per foot over 20' instead of the usual $6-something. Cuts my fare nearly in half.

Geo

Oh this is awesome guys.

We are looking at coming over and doing some salmon fishing this year (assuming they all aren't already cooked by the hot weather we have been having).

One of our other good friends was saying that on Wednesdays it is much cheaper :).

C

Curt/Sarah and the Boyz

2004 VNL780 (VED12-465)

Keystone Raptor 361LEV

ET Hitch

I don't think they are cooked yet, but they are restricting fishing in a lot of rivers now.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/vancouver-island-fishing-banned-as-drought-hits-level-4-1.3137599

It was probably the late 60s since I've seen it this dry here/

Geo

George,
Suzuki Celerio 998cc

Yamaha NMAX scooter

Curt if you come over, let me know. Pinks are running this year. If you don't have a boat maybe we could split a charter off Renfrew or a less expensive option would be Sidney.. If you are into shore casting, I know lots of spots, Ogden point, Ten Mile point, Margaret Bay as well as Otter point.

We have to drop the cannonball fast to get thru them to the Springs.

Depends on tides and winds. Westerly's rip thru Juan de Fuca but generally die down in the evening.

I know the MFG at Oki Tackle he will set me up with the latest gear. Fluorescent anchovy heads, spoons, flashers.

Fish are being caught all over, some halibut as well....collateral damage.

Geo is welcome as well, if he is in town. With all the time in the desert, he may get seasick.

R

I'm here until the 16th when I'm headed for JW's place.

Fishing sounds like fun. Haven't done any in years.

Geo

George,
Suzuki Celerio 998cc

Yamaha NMAX scooter

Bechey Head, Trap Shack, Otter Point are all producing. We could split a charter or rent from Pedder Bay and fish the kelp bed or Whirl Bay. Weekdays are less busy. I've got gear, Loomis ST 1265's and Islander MR2's just got them reloaded with 30# Maxima.

I want to hear those downrigger cables trip when Derby Herby hammers the gear.

Fish On!!...Don't be between me and the rod when they hit.

WE might get skunked or we may get???

Neighbour comes back each day on a weekend with limits of 12 > 15 lb ers.

Curt if you come over, let me know. Pinks are running this year. If you don't have a boat maybe we could split a charter off Renfrew or a less expensive option would be Sidney.. If you are into shore casting, I know lots of spots, Ogden point, Ten Mile point, Margaret Bay as well as Otter point.

We have to drop the cannonball fast to get thru them to the Springs.

Depends on tides and winds. Westerly's rip thru Juan de Fuca but generally die down in the evening.

I know the MFG at Oki Tackle he will set me up with the latest gear. Fluorescent anchovy heads, spoons, flashers.

Fish are being caught all over, some halibut as well....collateral damage.

Geo is welcome as well, if he is in town. With all the time in the desert, he may get seasick.

R

Yup, I got a nice Spring just outside of Hole in the Wall @ the ferry terminal. I love catching those!!

Put it in the smoker! Yummy.

C

Curt/Sarah and the Boyz

2004 VNL780 (VED12-465)

Keystone Raptor 361LEV

ET Hitch

That ferry line is called the Black Ball ferry, the Coho is the one and only ship. It is privately owned by a lady I think, 4 sailings a day, recommend reservations, don't see any specials. It brings you right into the city of Victoria. Lotsa tourists and these glacially slow, hayburner drawn, sightseeing, poop dropping buggies. Don't get stuck behind one.

If you're bringing a rig on the Black Ball, let me know. I will scope out the easiest route out of town.

I'd suggest the Sid/Anacortes route. If you are going up island you'd come towards town and cut right on Mckenzie ave the rt again the hiway heading up Island. Bypass town altogether....but I don't know your plans.

If you coming up from the US, the Washington State ferry system has one that runs from Anacortes WA to Sidney BC. Nice run. They have had specials in the past but don't see on currently. Similar to BC Ferries, half price if you time it right. Suggest you call them.

Let me know if you want any more info

R

Where is that? What wall, all the terminal is, is a big sandy spit.

Roger, "Hole in the Wall" is on this side - right beside the horseshoe bay terminal.

Curt/Sarah and the Boyz

2004 VNL780 (VED12-465)

Keystone Raptor 361LEV

ET Hitch

Only Hole in the wall I know is the one south of Stuart island in Desolation Sound.. Just about got sucked in there one time. It's like a big venturi.

Was fishing just outside of Big Bay in the Yuclataw rapids when a 30' diameter and 3' deep whirlpool opened up right beside me, That was exciting.

http://fishingvictoria.com/fishing-report/fishing-report-for-week-ending-july-5-2015/

That ferry line is called the Black Ball ferry, the Coho is the one and only ship. It is privately owned by a lady I think, 4 sailings a day, recommend reservations, don't see any specials. It brings you right into the city of Victoria. Lotsa tourists and these glacially slow, hayburner drawn, sightseeing, poop dropping buggies. Don't get stuck behind one.

If you're bringing a rig on the Black Ball, let me know. I will scope out the easiest route out of town.

I'd suggest the Sid/Anacortes route. If you are going up island you'd come towards town and cut right on Mckenzie ave the rt again the hiway heading up Island. Bypass town altogether....but I don't know your plans.

If you coming up from the US, the Washington State ferry system has one that runs from Anacortes WA to Sidney BC. Nice run. They have had specials in the past but don't see on currently. Similar to BC Ferries, half price if you time it right. Suggest you call them.

Let me know if you want any more info

R

Roger,

Thanks for the info, I am very aware of BlackBall and the Coho, (used to live in Port Angeles).

We are planning a trip up through Seattle later in the summer and thought if there were similar deals on the Coho, it would make adding Vancouver and the Olympic Peninsula more obtainable to our time budget.

If we do add Victoria to the mix, I will definitely take you up on your offer. We have been to Victoria many times, but not with our truck.

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

If I'm not mistaken, Coho loads from the side?

Taking into account where she docks in the heart of downtown I would very much recommend Sidney-Anacortes instead.

George,
Suzuki Celerio 998cc

Yamaha NMAX scooter

If I'm not mistaken, Coho loads from the side?

Taking into account where she docks in the heart of downtown I would very much recommend Sidney-Anacortes instead.

George,

Yes, she does load from the side in Victoria and the rear in PA. That would not be bad, though I see your concern about the downtown Victoria part.

If you guys get some time, it would be great to see your input about rv parks on the island. Maybe you could Make some posts in the Resource Campground Guide?

John

John

Southern Nevada

event.png

Bringing the rig? What do you have? Generally our provincial parks are not geared up for big rigs, narrow, low and also no power. Overhanging trees mosquitos etc. Don't know what your into, lots of whale watching from Tofino all the way around the south island and up to Campbell River and beyond,

I'm at Ft Victoria RV Park in Victoria, Salmon Point just south of Campbell River, is a nice place. Lots of fishing in the area. Any kids coming along??

We will be bringing a 43' Weekend Warrior Toy-hauler. Shopping for a VNL 780, as we type.....lol. Will be my first "for fun" truck, have owned several commercial trucks.

We are interested in the Campbell River area mainly. Went fishing there when I was. Kid.

No kids, just myself and DW.

Besides getting info for me, I was thinking that you guys could provide good info on other places in that area for other folks through the Campground Guide. They currently only list one and the info is not very current.

We were wondering about Salmon Point, it seems to have great reviews on other travel sites.

Thank,

John

John

Southern Nevada

event.png

The Oceanside review is mine and it's still valid although ferry prices have gone up a bit.

Haven't been to any of the others on the Island unfortunately.

Geo

George,
Suzuki Celerio 998cc

Yamaha NMAX scooter

Oceanside is about 15 mins from the Sidney-Anacortes ferry. Beautiful location right on the water if the weather is decent.

George,
Suzuki Celerio 998cc

Yamaha NMAX scooter

Hello John,

Thunderbird RV park in Campbell River is a good place. On the other side of the road is the Saltchuck with cruise ships less than half a mile off the shore. Several fishing store on the main road in town. Fishing pier with a take out food place on the end. So is the Tyee pool where only row boats can fish, literally 50' from shore.

Fair number of restaurants and a big shopping center close by. CR is not a big place, Courtenay 30 miles south is bigger.

Salmon Point is a nice place, you can google it up. they cater to Rv ers as well as boaters. On site launching ramp, docks etc. Cable tv but minimum channels. The place has real trees with real grass. Restaurant on site. You can catch sockeye from the beach. Probably pinks as well seeing as it is an odd # year.

If you are packing a car or MC, you could make it over to Alberni then out to The Uclulet/Tofino stretch. Long beach is in between, world class park. Google it or UTube.

Whale watching in all areas, pretty impressive when one passes by and rolls on its side next to the boat and you can see it's eye looking at you from 10' away.

The spot Geo mentioned and another in the Parksville area are nice and at least one of them is right across the street from the town itself. If you google them up, the one that juts out into Georgia Strait gets a lot more wind than the other. Quite often winds pick up during the day, backing off at night. Daytime heating.

Depending on when you come, I may be away and you are welcome to use my spot at Ft Vic RV Park # 46, 50 amps, sewer and water.

Lots to do here, but you are interested in up the Island.

Monica is the manager. I'd say the place ranks up with some of the better places, definitely clean.

I check the washrooms, if they are clean or dirty it reflects on the management and most women won't hang around if the washroom is not clean. I don't recall anything negative, that was 2 yrs ago in September.

Re the resource guide, I'm not aware of anyone with a big rig who has been over here. The Driving instructor told me he had only seen 1 and that was over 5 yrs ago.

Roger

That would be great John. I out of here on the 16th heading for JW's outside Nashville. Meeting Rocel in Toronto on the 21st. Probably in southern Ontario for ten days, then head North of Lake Superior through the Sault to Alberta. Hang around there for a couple of weeks then back to Victoria no later than Aug 24th.

Geo

George,
Suzuki Celerio 998cc

Yamaha NMAX scooter

Archived