Overall length - VNL vs VNM

remoandiris

Nope because there is no simple answer. The length will vary depending on how truck was specified by the original buyer. Depends on many items such as Cab size, wheel base, single or tandem, etc...

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

From Jack's site. VNM Daycab front bumper to back of cab 112"

VNL Daycab front bumper to back of cab 123"

now add sleeper 42, 61 or 77 inches.

In Ontario we have a maximum wheelbase which I believe is 244 inches but I've seen some of the trucks in the SW US running 300 or more so that is why there is no definitive answer to your question. Plus many people selling used trucks don't know the difference between models.

Nigel

2006 Volvo VNL 430, 2006 smart cabrio cdi, 2000 Triple E Topaz 30'

Maybe I should have stated this upfront, maybe not...I want to carry a 50" RZR and my GoldWing on the rear deck. The truck's overall length can be no more than 25' to stay under 65' when towing. Also have to account for tie-down points for the GoldWing. The RZR tie-down points are right beside the tires, but the bike tie-downs need to be several inches out from each side. Maybe putting the RZR against the cab and the bike rearward of that might work.

If it is not possible, I'll have to rethink my wants and needs. At this point a call to RV Haulers is in order.

230" is what a lot of people have when going to a smart bed. We have 236" with an 81" overhang which will give us ample room.

That is with a 780/730 cab. A shorter truck can be used with a 61" cab.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

That's probably not going to happen. I have a smart, about the size of a razor and I'm at 30 ft. Volvo 780 with a Herrin deck.

2009 Volvo 780. D-16 500hp 1850 torque with a Herrin hauler bed.

2015 Continental Coach

2008 650cc Suzuki Bergman

2013 Mustang GT 500 convertible

2014 Smartcar convertible

WWW.Hollyfab.com. (Metal Fabrication Company)

Jamesc@hollyfab.com (preferred contact method)

25 feet is either day cab, or cab-over territory. Time to review your needs.

Correct. What you want to do is not going to happen with a condo cab truck.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

The 65' overall length is law in most states, but many folks are several feet longer- 68-70' and haven't had issues.

NOT that it's legal, BUT many folks here that have long beds on long frame trucks with long trailers are illegal. It's just ignored. When asked how long they are, many folks will say something like 65' and 49"....

When we are done with our configuration of truck and trailer, I expect to be 69' overall, ready to roll.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

There are a number of states that are shorter than 65' too...there's no magic to that number other than that it gets you legal in most states (36 by quick count on the Good Sam list).

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

What are the issues with a cabover design? Is it just a comfort issue? It seems like that is all they use overseas for long hauling. Wouldn't a cabover solve a lot of the length issues?

I am sure it would solve most of the over length issues. Biggest problem would be finding a good one with an automated transmission. My understanding is the Argosy was quite comfortable to drive and a few even had the auto. I'd love to see some of the European cabovers here but you would probably have to severely discount them to sell.

Nigel

2006 Volvo VNL 430, 2006 smart cabrio cdi, 2000 Triple E Topaz 30'

Way back in history before sensible length laws came to bear, you found COE trucks in the East because of the restrictive length laws.

In the West, where coming down mountains made short wheelbase trucks more subject to jack-knifing, even if you found a COE, the frame was still long.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

For our use I'd love to have a new Volvo FN series cabover, like they use in the rest of the world. But don't hold your breath. There is no market for that truck in North America. (on edit: I should not say "NO MARKET"...BUT JUST A VERY LIMITED MARKET).

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Me too. Can't think of a better unit to haul an RV. Although 735hp MAN would be fine too. Lol

George,
Suzuki Celerio 998cc

Yamaha NMAX scooter

Work ride is Western Star N2 Tri-Tri tanker at 56,500kg loaded

I'm 69 ft 4in and have never had a problem in either Texas or Arizona where the 65ft law exists!
Been running down there for quite a number of years now!

June, Walter (Princess and Czar-our Shihtzu and Rottweiler) The Security Team 24/7

2000 Volvo 770, VED12-465hp-1.94 Million Kms and Counting,Eaton-Fuller manual stick 13...
232"WB_Twin Screw , 24.5" Rubber, 2011-Passion-Smart Car - 37RL Cardinal, 2KW Solar PV

"Enjoying Life" - Currently Semi-Retired..In the Summer I Drive a Semi...In the Winter I'm Retired"

I can see talking my 5'2" tall wife into climbing into a VNL (where the floor is 4' off the ground) and then standing up to walk into the sleeper.

I cannot see talking my wife into climbing into a cabover, then crawling over the "doghouse" (engine/transmission hump) to make it into the sleeper.

Face it, the RDBE count would probably go down with cabovers. There's probably also more engine noise with the engine under-foot.

Modern cab overs are nearly flat floor, and very well insulated. There is a lot of engine back inside the cab volume in a VNL with a D-16 for example.

http://www.volvotrucks.com/SiteCollectionDocuments/VTC/Market/Trucks/volvo-fh-series/pdf/Volvo-FH-Series_UK.pdf

And that truck is available with a 750hp D-16 just for giggles.

George,
Suzuki Celerio 998cc

Yamaha NMAX scooter

Work ride is Western Star N2 Tri-Tri tanker at 56,500kg loaded

I'm 69 ft 4in and have never had a problem in either Texas or Arizona where the 65ft law exists!

Been running down there for quite a number of years now!

And as has been mentioned there are people on this forum that have been stopped and cited for being over 65ft. The odds are definitely in your favor that you won't get stopped, but..............

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Archived