Seeking Solutions For Dropping Ceiling in a 05 Winn. Journey

StarDreamers.us

Seeking help and suggestions on repair or replacement of ceiling dropping in several places in our 2005 Winnebago Journey. The foam backing has started to disintegrate and detach from the ceiling. What a MESS!. Called Winnebago help desk. They estimated it would cost over $25,000 to take off roof & repair it at the factory. If you have had this problem, I would appreciate how and where you had work done, & cost of repair. Thanks!

SKP #89742 - Lifetime membership - Member of the SKP Class of 2007
Good Sam Club - Lifetime Member
DataStorm #5423
Passport America - Lifetime Member
Sons Of The American Revolution (SAR) - Lifetime Member
American Legion - USAF - Lifetime Member
Rotary Club Member - 30 years

Escapee CARE Supporter

National Wildlife Refuge Volunteer

I would check other avenues for a cost comparison. There are several companies in our area that update and refurbish RV's and Motorhomes to varying degrees. There are several listed on Craigslist. Sounds pretty drastic to remove the roof... maybe tell them you want a quote that doesn't require removing your roof! (Just kidding) Get a quote from another manufacturer. My sister checked with an auto upholstery dealer to reupholster the headliner in a pull behind she had. Just some ideas... hope you find a reasonable solution!

Debbie

2000 Volvo 770 Auto Shift/ 2L Custom Hauler Body with Smart Car Air Loader
2011 Smart Passion

2012 New Horizons 42' Custom 5th wheel (New Horizons Ambassadors)

Thanks for sharing your ideas! We are going seek out all ideas including a do it yourself.

Safe Travels!

DataStorm #5423

Escapee CARE Supporter

What is the drooping ceiling? Fabric?

I've redone auto headliners that did that.

Remove the fabric & use a plastic bristle scrub brush (dry) to clean off the remaining foam from the ceiling.

For adhesive, use Weldwood contact cement (NOT the version that is fireproof - that kind will only stick for a few days.) Brush the adhesive on the ceiling, working in about 2' strips across the ceiling then let it dry for 10 to 15 minutes, put the fabric on this stripTHEN PULL THE FABRIC DOWN except the last 2or 3 inches then put it back, carefully smoothing it.

Brush the adhesive on the next 2' & repeat the process. On that big of an area you may need to add a trim strip depending on the width of the fabric.

JoAnns carries headliner fabric.

Not necessarily an easy job but better than $20,000! This fix would probably run less than $150.

Ron

Thanks for the suggestion. The liner is plastic and foam. Almost like the old GM motors cars in the past. The foam just starts to break down.

Safe Travels!

DataStorm #5423

Escapee CARE Supporter

We were at a turning point last summer, trade in our 13 year old RV or update it? We decided we love our rig and not sure how much longer we will travel and the cost of remodel was much more cost effective than replacing our rig. We have a 40 ft triple slide 5th wheel. We had the ceiling, flooring and appliances replaced and various miscellaneous items ie replaced the propane tanks, had the "gold" shower door frame powder coated with brush nickel color, full extension drawer glides in the kitchen and the TV cabling updated. Many of the items are DIY but we are not DIY'ers if we tried it would cost twice as much as having a professional do it. LOL Last summer I did replace the gold tone drawer pulls and DH replaced the wall light fixtures with brushed nickel touch on touch off lights.

I don't have the invoice with me but I know the ceiling sure wasn't $25,000. We had the work done at http://rvrenovators.com/ a family owned company in Mesa, AZ. Mark was our project manager; we were very pleased with the service, the work and they way it turned out. They are busy in the winter with the influx of snowbirds in the area so we called in August 2015 for a November 2015 appointment.

Thanks so much for the suggestions.

Safe Travels!

DataStorm #5423

Escapee CARE Supporter

Here is a link to an ad I found on Craigslist http://houston.craigslist.org/rvd/5599883797.html

they do ALL stages of RV remodeling. Maybe you can find similar in your area. They probably could give you a ball park quote so you can compare others you get if you DO NOT want to go the DIY route. Also I would check with shops that do auto headliner replacement. Between the two you may find something to replace yours...without the foam. I know that is a mess to deal with! Let us know what solution you find.

Debbie

2000 Volvo 770 Auto Shift/ 2L Custom Hauler Body with Smart Car Air Loader
2011 Smart Passion

2012 New Horizons 42' Custom 5th wheel (New Horizons Ambassadors)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the updates and suggestions. I will keep you posted. It may be a while.

Safe Travels!

DataStorm #5423

Escapee CARE Supporter

Archived