Boondocking in the desert this winter?

Jimalberta

We've done lots of boondocking in the western states including southern Arizona and New Mexico (close to the border) and never had anyone knocking on our doors!

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Sorry Yarome -mea culpa but there are very few people who want to boondock out in nowhere and a lot of places to stay. Even so, there are our "secret" places that others have shared with us and do not want advertised

The folks we have spent time with in Yucatan tell us we shall be sent to Coventry if we advertise those spots.l

Reed and Elaine

Just a consideration. In some places in the out lands you need to LOCK your doors. Been told about people having unexpected visitors coming into their campsite asking for food and water.

After many years of boondocking in the Arizona desert, we've never had this happen to us. Not saying that it *never* happens, just not to us.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

We'll be in Q for a couple of weeks after the "show" and will stay at La Posa South. We are looking forward to a great steak dinner and conversation with Mick. After that we may head back to Pahrump or just go somewhere we have not been in AZ. Don't know just yet as we have a couple of people interested in the weighing business and if/when they buy it we won't have a schedule to follow anymore.

Full time since August 2010

2002 Itasca Horizon

One fur kid - a Shih-Tsu rescue

Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd

We'll be in Q for a couple of weeks after the "show" and will stay at La Posa South.

Sounds like a plan. I'll shoot you the GPS when I head your way, Paul. Steak and bourbon sauce.. sweet walla walla onions and mushrooms.

I'm not setting a foot toward Havasu this year, 3 tires, a windshield and a heating core later is enough for me. That place is jinxed!

Depends on where you camp, some spots we never saw anyone crossing, other spots you saw a group or two every night. Nobody ever bothered us or asked for anything but we also left nothing outside to be tempting or left the rig unoccupied in the busy areas. Chat with the local folks and you can get enough information to decide if an area is going to meet your needs or if you need to move a bit. Sometimes just moving over one wash is enough to go from busy to nobody around.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

We have really enjoyed a few spots in AZ. There are Border Patrol signs about drug smuggling and illegals. Talked with RV'ers at a state park and they were frightened at idea of going to these spots. Border Patrol drove by every hour or so. Locals in Patagonia said nothing had ever happened and they felt completely safe in the canyon.

Other places are similar. Check with Border Patrol and the locals to satisfy your worries. It is comforting to have another rig nearby. Border Patrol will probably discourage anything outside of commercial parks.

Yarome has cautioned me about locating these spots more exactly. Some of the nicer spots were shared by Escapees with caution not to spread the word. Just mentioned this to Elaine and she pretty much seconded Yaromev- and she just tweaked my nose

Reed and Elaine

Sounds like a plan. I'll shoot you the GPS when I head your way, Paul. Steak and bourbon sauce.. sweet walla walla onions and mushrooms.

I'm not setting a foot toward Havasu this year, 3 tires, a windshield and a heating core later is enough for me. That place is jinxed!

My mouth is already watering!

Full time since August 2010

2002 Itasca Horizon

One fur kid - a Shih-Tsu rescue

Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd

We will be back in Quartzsite this winter starting early January thru end of April. We will also have the pleasure of working at the Escapees booth in the Big Tent during the RV show. We look forward to meeting our fellow Xscapers and Escapees members. If your at the show stop by and say hello and bring your friends who are thinking of becoming members and we will sign them up.

http://ramblingrvrat.blogspot.com/?m=1

GOD Bless America!

GOD Bless Texas!

GOD Bless All of our Troops!

"CHARACTER is doing the right thing when no one is looking"

'09 International Durastar 4400 LP Customized by 2L Custom Trucks

'20 DRV Mobile Suites 40KSSB4, '10 H-D FLHRC Road King Classic, '09 Honda Rebel AmeriDeck M/C Loader in Truck Garage, Polaris RZR 570 EPS 10 - 320W Solar Panels, 4- Simpliphi 3.8 kWh 151A Lithium batteries, Victron Multiplus 3000W inverters, Victron 250/70 Charge Controllers, Progressive hardwired 50 AMP EMS, Class of 2012!

1221594356_ProfilePic.jpg.9b4d57a43f182efadbcaf4db7556bb2e.jpg

Archived