HDT Members On The Road, Including Their Current Locations

Jim Gehlen

Ok I am now in Vernal at Fossil Valley RV Park and they have 2 sites large enough for my 67 feet with a little maneuvering but not bad. Lots of trees cannot get my satellite to work so using there cable cannot miss my NASCAR races this weekend. I should be here until Monday June 23rd and have yet decided where in Wyoming I am going on the next leg or what route. The 191 from Helper Utah to Vernal was interesting with the pass topping out at over 9,000 ft. The road was rough and at times challenging but I enjoyed it but not for everyone I am sure. The other route would be just inside the West Colorado border perhaps easier for some though I have not taken that route.

Edited by Bob Cochran

2019 Thor Chateau 28E on a Ford E450 chassis. Maybe awhile but will get a new picture forgive one up there it is my old rig.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Arrived at Smith's Fork Park in Smithville, MO yesterday. Took 160 East from Mesa Verde National Park through Durango and Wolf Creek Pass and crossed I-25 at Walsenburg. Hiway 10 from Walsenburg to La Junta is 70 miles with NO curves. Downhill all the way, though. At one point I timed it and coasted 19 miles without touching the gas or brakes - gotta find some way to have fun on one of the most boring roads in the country! Took Hwy 50 to Dodge City, then 56 through Great Bend to I-70. Through Kansas, I swear I had a 40mph tailwind all the way. Topped off my tanks in CO and topped them off again in MO to check my mileage and the old Volvo got 10.9mpg on the 908 mile trip. I wouldn't have thought that was possible.

I'll be the weekend Camp Host here at Smith's Fork Park until October.

Bill Greenwade

Full Timer from Mena, Arkansas

2012 KZ 40ft 5th Wheel Toy Hauler

1998 Volvo VNL 610

We took nearly that exact route when we left Durango on our maiden trip with the truck. Came down Wolf Creek without touching the brakes. :)

And while we were on Co 10, there were thunderstorms all around us. No place to hide. Saw lightning ignite a bunch of scrub brush a couple of hundred yards ahead of us. Have you ever smelled lightning? That's close.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Sitting in Sioux Falls, SD. Headed for the Volvo dealer in the morning to get exhaust repaired. Jake is annoying with no muffler. Then on to Flathead Lake and Glacier NP, Calgary, and points north.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

Get a picture of the 35 MPH curves next 60 miles at the top of Lolo if you see it and post a copy. :-)

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Angie and I are sitting in the shipswana south campground. First couple nights in the new coach have been great and tiring as well. Moving in all our stuff and then moving it again cuz it fit better some where else.

We removing Wednesday to a lake side resort in michigan for the a few days then a second park for the forth of July holiday.

2009 Volvo 780. D-16 500hp 1850 torque with a Herrin hauler bed.

2015 Continental Coach

2008 650cc Suzuki Bergman

2013 Mustang GT 500 convertible

2014 Smartcar convertible

WWW.Hollyfab.com. (Metal Fabrication Company)

Jamesc@hollyfab.com (preferred contact method)

Tackling US-12/Lolo Pass across Idaho tomorrow on the way to Oregon.

Hope to do Lolo on motorcycles. Heard it's beautiful.

Sitting in Volvo/KW dealer in S.D., watching 6 new T-680's being delivered. Eat your heart out, Jack.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

Rick, piggyback one of those bad-boys down here for me....I'd take it in a flash....I'll even pay your fuel both ways. Silver preferred. ;) Once you get it here, I'll take it over to Scrap and he can put on all the cool "accessories" he gets to play with. (Gee, that sounds like a good plan to me...what could possibly go wrong....)

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Now sitting in Riverton Wyoming at Wind River RV Park and don't just use the GPS as mine took me to the rear of the park and had to wind through a residential neighborhood to get to the front of the park and office. They have a lot of 70 foot long gravel RV spots even 100 amp services if you need electrical that large. Joe Pepper is owner/manager and a great person truly understanding us RVers. The trip from Vernal Utah on 191 through Flaming Gorge was not a problem though some places the roads a little rough. This trip is really giving the ET hitch a workout and it is doing fantastic. I am thinking next Thursday make a short trip and head up to Cody to do Yellowstone have not decided where to stay yet.

2019 Thor Chateau 28E on a Ford E450 chassis. Maybe awhile but will get a new picture forgive one up there it is my old rig.

Did you send the info to Trey so it can be put on the Map? I might be heading West one of these days.

Rod

Now sitting in Riverton Wyoming at Wind River RV Park and don't just use the GPS as mine took me to the rear of the park and had to wind through a residential neighborhood to get to the front of the park and office. They have a lot of 70 foot long gravel RV spots even 100 amp services if you need electrical that large. Joe Pepper is owner/manager and a great person truly understanding us RVers. The trip from Vernal Utah on 191 through Flaming Gorge was not a problem though some places the roads a little rough. This trip is really giving the ET hitch a workout and it is doing fantastic. I am thinking next Thursday make a short trip and head up to Cody to do Yellowstone have not decided where to stay yet.

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

I am here at Parkview RV campground in Cody Wyoming and at $25 per night hard to beat. I am in site 11 I think is 80 feet long and longest they have. WIFI is poor and I could not get satellite reception and it looks like those that do(full time residents) have the dish substantially raised. I think it is because of a hill directly behind the park. I will leave Monday the 30th for Montana and have no idea where yet will decide that Sunday don't want to get to far ahead of ,myself. :D

I left Cody Wyoming this morning and got her to Miles City Montana Big Sky Camp & RV Park. While this is certainly not a KOA it has 80 foot sites with 30 amp electrical, water and cable at each site but not sewer. The sites are gravel, grass with picnic tables. Even so you cannot beat $20 a night and not taxes so 3 nights was $60. Jim and Amy Asher the owners seem really nice. It did fill up fast with only 22 sites so suggest reservations unless you get here early. :)

on edit: Forgot to say cable and Wifi included in the $20 fee.

Edited by Bob Cochran

We are in Haines Junction Yukon, in a crappy little campground, Still paddling north. The road has been far better than I expected, but every once in a while I get caught off guard and hit a bump too fast.

We had one day of seeing a lot of wildlife on the road, but yesterday experienced more pounds of mosquitoes than animals. The scenery has been amazing.

We could be in Fairbanks or Anchorage tomorrow, depending on which way the wind blows us.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

Ok I am at Dickinson N. Dakota North Park Campground. While roads and sites can accommodate HDT's they don't want us in the Campground. I had to drop off 5er at site and park HDT outside on a side street. Wifi is weak and internet speed so slow to be almost useless as well. Because it is the 4th weekend and was lucky to get this pace I accepted instead of moving on down the road!!! :( I don't know why the owner or manger don't like HDT's I did not get to talk to him; the clerk at the desk called him on phone to get permission to let me do what I am doing.

While he has every right to make the rules I think any Good Sam Park should withdraw that designation if he cannot not accommodate HDT tow vehicles when the Campground is large enough to accommodate.

Happy 4th everybody be safe out there. !!!!! :)

Had I done as Jack asked above, we could be rolling, rather than sitting in Tok, AK for a fourth night. (Sigh)

During the last leg through Yukon, we started hearing a "thumping" sound on the larger bumps. Several times, Susan went in the back of the cab and each time reported that she thought it was coming from the storage area under the seats. At a rest stop, I looked under the cab and discovered that the cross member supporting the cab air bags had failed, allowing the right side of the cab to bottom.

An hour later, going up a long hill, we both heard what seemed to be an exhaust leak. It sounded like a manifold gasket at the head. I was pulling nearly 30psi of manifold pressure, and the engine seemed to running rough, like a miss.

Rolled in to Tok, AK, and found a welding shop. The grudgingly agreed to tackle the cross member, but advised I find a Cummins shop for the exhaust gasket.

Took the old girl (Volvo, not wife) to the welding shop the next morning. It took all day for them to extract the cross member, and one of the air bags did not survive. You can see where the robber has been cracked for a long time, so the mechanic is not to blame. Of corse, the shop was closed yesterday, July 4, and today they plated the bag supports, and we're looking for a suitable bag to get us going.

So, about that exhaust leak......... I called a friend who's a Cummins tech in Toledo, OH, and explained the symptoms. I told him that the engine ran great normally, but later in the day would sometimes seem to run slightly rough on a hard pull. He said the sound that I thought was an exhaust leak was most likely an injector going bad, which explains the slight miss and vibration, and the reduction in mileage that I'd blamed on head winds and higher speeds.

Hopefully, we will get the truck back late today, head down to Anchorage tomorrow, and get the injector fixed on Monday. I have an appointment for Monday morning at Cummins Northwest in Anchorage, but they're expecting to replace the manifold gasket.

On the bright side, we took the smart to Chicken and had an enjoyable tour of the old gold dredge. And we've met lots of nice locals. But, my wallet has sprung a leak.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

Kearney Nebraska. Visited the Arch over I-80 today. It is an impressive tour. Leaving Monday for Custer, SD. Photos from the Arch tour are here if anyone is interested. They are not in any particular order. I did put titles on some of the photos that help explain.

Visited the Warp's Pioneer Village yesterday. WOW - what an old car and truck lover's dream tour.

Edited by RandyA

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

Kearney Nebraska. Visited the Arch over I-80 today. It is an impressive tour. Leaving Monday for Custer, SD. Photos from the Arch tour are here if anyone is interested. They are not in any particular order. I did put titles on some of the photos that help explain.

Visited the Warp's Pioneer Village yesterday. WOW - what an old car and truck lover's dream tour.

May see you in Custer. We are leaving Dickinson N. Dakota Monday for someplace around Mt. Rushmore just have not picked a place yet. We will keep a look out for you.

Haven't looked at the photos yet, but want to thank you for them in advance. I have stopped twice only to find the place closed. It seemed quite expensive from the signs. Was it worth the money and the time?

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

May see you in Custer. We are leaving Dickinson N. Dakota Monday for someplace around Mt. Rushmore just have not picked a place yet. We will keep a look out for you.

We are booked into Fort Welikit for a week starting 7/7

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

Haven't looked at the photos yet, but want to thank you for them in advance. I have stopped twice only to find the place closed. It seemed quite expensive from the signs. Was it worth the money and the time?

Rod

IMHO - definitely worth it. Especially if you are interested in the history of the Oregon Trail and the Lincoln Highway. Exhibits rival those we saw at Disney.

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

Mike and Suzan Craven swung by today to say hi (and dump their tanks). We will get together with them and Kari and Nick Ploysa (and son) sometime in August to tell tales and show off the new coach. That is, if Nick can stop playing with his new toys - he is now a "train guy"....conductor in training.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com