Texts While Driving

RV_

Edited first and last sentence only:

I do not like looking at my phone while driving. Not to make or take calls, certainly not to text. The number of drivers texting is crazy! I do make hands free calls. Now technology makes texting hands free too. As safe as talking to a passenger.

I read a post by WDR about getting his new smart watch so he could read texts. I fell into that hands free without shopping for it as a did card and a free upgrade to my Windows Phone.

I'm one of the techies who stymie my local friends. I can only be reached in person, by email, and by text or phone. However, so as not to have my friends think I'm rude, I explain that I leave my phone at home when out using my tractor, mowing grass, shopping, or out on the porch. Today, many younger folks will not leave a voicemail because it is quicker for them to text. My two grown sons are successful and always connected. They are always getting texts and calls silently because they were trained to be gentlemen. However I also notice how many times they look at their phone to see who is calling and choose to take some, not others.

I am old school. When my phone rings I answer it, I don't look first. I am not running from the police, bill collectors, enemies, criminals or drug dealers. If I don't want someone calling me, I ask them to stop calling me or block their number for the telemarketers.

But I do enjoy texts because they are like emails in that they can sit waiting for when I see it, and I can choose to answer or not. Text spam can be deleted.

But I do not like looking at my phone while driving. Not to make or take calls, certainly not to read or send a text. The number of drivers texting is crazy!

Long ago I decided I needed a device to play my music cheaply and used a disconnected smart phone which led me to get my own phone. Than I got a Jabra cruiser from one of my customers, a used car dealer, who found it in one of his cars bought at auction. Neither of us was sure what it was and he gave it to me. I took it home and charged it, looked it up, and it turned out to be a Jabra cruiser Speakerphone for cars that connected by Bluetooth (BT) and would with the press of a button, rebroadcast my phone and music to my car or truck audio system. Hands free.

I originally used the non activated Smart phone as a very cheap mp3 player and the found working Jabra cruiser and it worked as well as if it were connected. And I could, without looking, reach up to my visor and press one big button to take or make calls without raking my eyes off the road, and it would pause the music, then when I pressed the button to hang up it resumed the music where it left off. I was thrilled five years ago with just that and it is no bug thing, even being built into vehicles today. I bought two more Jabra cruisers so we had one in each car and the truck.

But it wasn't until I got my Windows phone, and it got upgraded to 8.1 free giving me Cortana digital assistant that it surprised me again. She started interrupting the music to alert me to incoming texts and asking me if I wanted her to read it to me? I said yes and she did, very clearly since it was over the vehicle's audio system. Then she asked if I wanted to reply, I said yea and she told me to speak it then sent it without my taking my eyes off the road.

Now many of you might already be doing this with Siri or built in BT systems linked to car audio. I don't know because I bailed on Android before Google did it. And my first six months I had only Windows Phone 8 (WP8) without Cortana which only came in WP8.1.

But now I can hear texts read clearly and respond with no need to take my eyes off the road. We also were motivated by base regs prohibiting cell phone use except for hands free on base. And we use the base, Barksdale AFB a lot. My WP 8.1 also speaks my directions to me while driving well enough that I don't even have to look at the map on the phone. Now my phone is just below my rear view mirror, such that it does not block anything but birds from view.

I'm sure the other digital assistants do this too, or soon will. But for easily moved between car and RV or truck bands free for music and calls hands free and through the audio system clearly I have one original cruiser, and two Cruiser 2s and we love them. Here is one source on Amazon Prime for new: http://www.amazon.com/Jabra-CRUISER-Bluetooth--Car-Speakerphone/dp/B0043M668G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1431882619&sr=8-1&keywords=jabra+cruiser+2

I like citing Amazon because as in this case there are 1469 reviews with four stars overall rating.

Here is one refurbished for $29.99 like we bought. That was five tears ago so I am showing for example only:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jabra-Cruiser-2-Bluetooth-In-Car-Wireless-Speakerphone-Universal-Car-Kit-/251592454467?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a94143143

They work just as well with older Android 2.3 smartphones but won't read texts. So I got the original free, and we did pay 29.99 for the next two cruiser 2s so we have a spare should one die.

But I do not like looking at my phone while driving. Not to make or take calls, certainly not to text. The number of drivers texting or who take calls with no hands free device is crazy!

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I'm against doing anything BUT driving while driving!!!!!!!!!!

A man should certainly know his limitations. Personally, I've been known to breathe, drink, grab a snack, listen to the radio, and on rare occasions even sing along.

However, I don't text while driving. Not being the Commander in Chief, there's not a single text, voicemail, email, or other communication that comes to me which can't wait an hour or two for me to respond to. Nobody's life is going to be significantly altered if I don't get back to them right away. My truck does have bluetooth and works very well with my cell phone. I will rarely have a voice call while driving in rural areas. But, reading and manipulating texts and emails and such requires too much of my attention so I don't do it.

To each his own, just don't crash into me. :)

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

Guys,

You read the post? The first line was a "teaser" that is put in context

It is all hands free. It is not only legal but no more distracting than a hands free call. Are you guys against hands free calls. Back in the day I had to talk on my brick and drive a HumVee, step van or patrol car on the flight line.

I think anyone taking their eyes off the road to answer a call by picking up the phone and looking or heaven forbid texting should be thrown in jail when caught.

All of my stuff can wait too.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

There are trucks & cars on the road that drive themselves now. I don't think that MH's that drive themselves will be far behind with this. Then all the texting & phone usage will be a mute point. Dave.

2006 Coachmen Aurora 36ft. Class A motor home. 2009 Honda CRV toad. "Snowbirds" apprx. 6 mos. each year. Travelling to the SW each winter than returning to Wi. each summer. Retired and enjoying our travels along with Buddy the cat.

Dave

Calls and texts are now driving or typing themselves now. No need to look away from the road. Do all of you make hands free calls while driving? I hope no one is still picking up a phone and trying to keep one hand on each while driving. No need and it is not expensive. :)

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

I guess I'm one who can't juggle two things at once. When I'm driving my concentration is on driving only. I don't want to listen - even hands free - to a telephone conversation and being a participant in replies or texting. Nothing is that important that it can't wait until I'm stopped and can then give my attention to the phone call.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

I'm guessing y'all don't have nor ever owned hands free equipment because I'd wreck trying to look and dial or juggle a phone in one hand and steer with the other. I like two hands on the wheel too.

But no one is trying to convince anybody to even spend a penny to be able to be no more distracted than talking with my wife as she tries to read a map and I see the exit sail by.

But not imposing preferences on another is a two way street.

I hope some found the info useful. I was curious too if Siri reads texts and takes replies as dictation with just voice commands, or if that is only Cortana. I sure was tickled by it when the first one came in over the music. Or even while my phone's navigation was directing me by voice over the same audio system.

Safe travels!

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

I guess I'm one who can't juggle two things at once. When I'm driving my concentration is on driving only. I don't want to listen - even hands free - to a telephone conversation and being a participant in replies or texting. Nothing is that important that it can't wait until I'm stopped and can then give my attention to the phone call.

Talking on a phone while driving is distracting, even if hands free. There have been many studies done to support that it is more distracting to talk on a phone than it is to talk with a passenger, but that too can be a distraction, depending upon the conversation. While driving is not the time to engage in any sort of deep conversation or debate but keep it light.

A passenger is usually aware of what is happening in traffic and road conditions and so can even assist the driver to be more aware while the party at the other end of the phone has no way to know and may well ask the most thought provoking question just as the driver becomes engaged in a challenging situation. There is no doubt less risk with a hands free phone, especially if that phone also recognizes voice commands, but there is still added risk. Most of us in these forums are also getting a little bit older each year and are slowly loosing the ability to multitask. There is less risk for those of 30 or 40 than there is for those of us now past retirement age. Some things which I once did easily are now more difficult and require more attention. A really good driver is aware of his own skill set and adjusts as age or other infirmity begin to take their toll. Far too many of us refuse to accept that our skills have begun to decline and convince ourselves that we are as good a driver as we ever were.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

It is all hands free. It is not only legal but no more distracting than a hands free call. Are you guys against hands free calls. Back in the day I had to talk on my brick and drive a HumVee, step van or patrol car on the flight line.

I think anyone taking their eyes off the road to answer a call by picking up the phone and looking or heaven forbid texting should be thrown in jail when caught.

All of my stuff can wait too.

There was research done several years ago around the time the hands-free debate started that showed that the accident rate is nearly the same whether or not the driver is on a hands free call or is holding the phone. That study reached the conclusion that the real issue results from the fundamental difference between talking to a passenger in the car and someone who doesn't know what you are experiencing.

A passenger in your vehicle will instinctively change the pace of the conversation as the driving situation changes. Think about how many times you've paused a conversation while a tense road even transpired. OTOH a person who isn't in the vehicle has no way of knowing what is going on and engages in a conversation at a normal conversational rate. The study found that the driver engages in a phone conversation in order to keep up with it at the expense of the amount of attention he can pay to the road ahead. The result, they concluded, was an increased accident rate compared to not talking on the phone.

This was one study and it probably shouldn't be taken as covering all possible situations, but I try to limit the number and length of my in-car calls as a result of having read it.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

I must have been out boon docking when the law was passed that said I MUST be immediately accessible to every friend, relative, individual, passer-by and telemarketer. I carry the phone when I can, and if I forget it, no big deal, I will call back when I get home. Or maybe tomorrow. No harm, no foul. If I miss a call, and itis important enough, they WILL call back.

Not trying to be contrary, that is just the way it is.

Traveling America in "God's Grace"

I cant drive and use a mobile phone to either talk or text so I don't, besides its at least a 150+ fine in all Australian states these days but people are still getting caught.

It is not illegal however to use a microphone connected to a 2 way radio while driving

mick

I am glad some of you have saintly passengers that are always aware of what is going on and do not distract you while you are driving.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

I don't use the phone in the car for voice or text. Period. My personal choice. If we are together Danielle "may" answer my phone and carry on a conversation if she knows the person....but generally her response is "he is driving".

I DO use the phone for navigation, but that is a passive activity. I don't mess with it - just look at it.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Jack,

I don't mess with it, I don't even look at it. I set up in a minute before I go putting the phone in its cradle, and connecting it to the Jabra Cruiser hands free. Then I get the music going on my phone and it comes through the tinny speaker until I press the FM button and it begins playing my music through the stereo. I set it to shuffle so it changes with every song. If a call comes in I can take it with one click on the Jabra without looking. It auto hangs up and starts the music again. If a text comes in I don't have to click it as it asks if I want it read to me and I just speak yes or no. Then it asks if I want to reply and if I say yes it takes dictation, repeats it back and asks if it is ok., I say yes and it is sent and the music picks up where it left off to take the text and call.

Jack, this is less distracting than doing nav by far. I see that folks don't believe that once set before taking off, no more looking at my phone or fiddling around with it. Guess you'd just have to see it because I'm no superman able to fool with something and drive.

But that's fine, I tried to tell y'all about how this works but no one here needs to agree with me. So my part's done and we will just have to agree to disagree.

^_^

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

For some people the act of doing other things while driving has been going on for years.

When I was 16 and started working in a Gasoline Service Station I heard several people comment on how much work they got done while commuting to the State Capitol or how they read the paper and did the crossword puzzle while driving that same route. Apparently their children saw or heard about that and consider it "normal". Maybe that's why nearly every person I pass while riding my motorcycle has a phone in their hand. I often think it would be so nice to have a paint gun and mark all those drivers for the few of us who pay attention to the road and the other vehicles on it while operating our motorized vehicles.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

How about a vehicle option that would light up a large window sign stating "Cell phone in use, caution". I bet at least 1/2 of the vehicles would have signs lit up.

2006 Coachmen Aurora 36ft. Class A motor home. 2009 Honda CRV toad. "Snowbirds" apprx. 6 mos. each year. Travelling to the SW each winter than returning to Wi. each summer. Retired and enjoying our travels along with Buddy the cat.

What about a Go-Pro camera on your helmet? Bike or MC, no difference. Or on the front corner of your car windshield pointing out at 45 degrees. Enough of an angle to catch the license plate and the offending or offensive driver with the phone to their ear. Then send pics to LEO's.

I don't read the text on the smart-watch but the watch tells me who is texting or calling and by simply tilting my wrist I can see whether I need to get off the freeway and answer it or ignore it 'til later. If it's a client or the DW then I pull over. If it's Verizon telling me that my phone bill has arrived then I ignore it.

Before the smart watch I would pull over, take my cell phone out, log in, hit the "messages" icon, and then read the text. About 2/3 of the time I can see by who is sending the text, email or phone call whether or not I need to respond right away. The smart watch avoids all of those steps. Turn my wrist, see who is named in the notification and then decided how to react.

This is the major reason I tried the smart watch (a Moto 360) and it actually does this quite well. In fact if I'm sitting in my recliner watching TV right next to a laptop with my cell-phone in my pocket I now glace at the phone first.

If you want distractions, reading a text on the smart watch would be way up on the list I think.

WDR

1993 Foretravel U225 with Pacbrake and 5.9 Cummins with Banks

1999 Jeep Wrangler, 4" lift and 33" tires

Raspberry Pi Coach Computer

Ham Radio

Some can't wait or at least will cost big money lost. All my work is by phone and mostly text. Our jobs are "we need 10 welders tomorrow". Boss finds them. Miss that call, no job. Now I don't text and drive. Pull off road.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

So where did this go?

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Folks......

Where were you folks many decades ago when I started being a bird-man........The FAA DEMANDS ......that you listen AND talk on the radio(s) (often 3 to 4 coms and likely 3 or more Navs AT the same time) AND text transponder codes with constant altitudes as well.........AND I had up to 4 engines+power+mixtures+oil temp+oil presse+Oil levels+Cly temps+BMEP+Turbine Inlet Temp+Gen Volts Amps Temp+ + + + +

Don't forget the 377 switches and circuit-breakers that were somewhat important or 5 hydraulic systems, cabin pressure, heat, etc. etc......

Also as I recall ........the Capt was supposed to avoid hitting the ground too hard (or at the wrong airport) and not losing too much cargo or luggage along the way......

Now we did have a advantage or two........ Low altitude airways are a min of 5 miles wide on EACH side of the centerline and often the runways were 150 ft wide or more AND yes you are allowed to "drive" right down the centerline.......

So.......with so little to do at "work" some geek up stairs decided that we all had to go back to school EVERY 6 months (recurrent training) and then pass a check-ride with some grummpy-geezer sitting behind you with a clipboard......

So.......what was the very LAST lesson on the last day of recurrent training.........well the slave-driver would say "NEVER forget when things get really busy......and things are not looking good.......when a lot of little things seem need to be done.......the radios are blairing.........STOP EVERTHING....JUST DRIVE THE TRUCK (or did he say airplane).

Anyhow I have had a life filled with REQUIRED multi-tasking and it can be no fun at all when it gets dangerous........

Our lanes are not 5 miles and other traffic is just a couple mirror widths away so.......I just drive........and I wish the other folks would just drive.........or maybe we might build some 5 mile wide road lanes for the tech-addicts.....

Drive on........

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

I agree, texting and reading texts needs to never be done while driving. I hate texts when not driving. I do not text as in read a tiny screen then attempt to type on one while driving. I do take and make hands free calls and listen to texts and if need be answer while driving. No one is not leaving you alone.

I am just passing along information to any that might have a need. You aren't. I am impressed by your piloting skills. Be careful about your next choice in cars, this year even more cars have HUDs and 8" dash screens for other info and nav, as well as Internet connections and hands free built in.

Those dang tech folks! ;)

On edit,

I am retired military senior enlisted leader and had to run 1000 acres of small arms, light and heavy machine gun, mortar, shoulder fired rocket ranges, for my last assignment. They made me carry a brick 24/7 so they could reach me on or off duty. ( Brick was our name for a secure radio) I retired just as they were being replaced for key personnel with cell phones provided by the military. For the entire time we fulltimed, 1997-2003, I refused to get a cell phone. We came off the road to help elderly parents for a few years and I grudgingly got a cell for my wife. I refused to get one until 2011 and then was not impressed. I still leave it in my vehicle when I am shopping or visiting because I'm lazy and it takes minute to put it back in the cradle, turn on the Jabra and wait three seconds until it says "connected." The turn on the music, play it and when it is heard on the speaker, press the FM retransmit button to play my music/calls/texts on the car audio system, and be ready to use for hands free calls and now texts. It is fine with me to not get calls and check voice mails. See, I am retired and don't do any of that four letter word that ends in k. :D

Jack and other here tech oriented on cell phones helped me with basics just a few years ago.

See how I worked in my background as smoothly as you did?

But techie, yes been doing that with 'PCs since the mid 80's, Commodore's a few years earlier, so guilty as charged. I like the idea of HUDs and in dash built in Navigation and hands free. http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Vehicles+with+HUD&FORM=IRBPRS&=0 Like hands free not built in it takes a few minutes to punch in a new destination before we drive off right?

I think talking on a cell phone without hands free while driving should be made illegal and everyone forced to do hands free and keep both hands on the wheel. But to me that pales in comparison to the lunatics who text and drive without hands free.

Sometimes the hands free doesn't work right and misses a word and then I wait to pull off the road or if in town, until I get to me destination. See I don't care about bending the fenders of others, I might bend my own or hurt myself if driving distracted! Since I take care of number one, that takes care of everyone else around me because I won't be causing any wrecks.

If using a hands free distracts one here then don't! You might hit me! :o

Take what you can use and leave the rest. ;)

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

• 2 weeks later...

I stopped texting while driving years ago, the last time I did I spilled my beer and missed part of the movie.

"JOE DIRT"--1994 Volvo WIA64TES VED12, 425HP, SUPER 10, SINGLED, 370 REARS, DOMETIC AUXILLARY A/C, ONAN QD10000 GENNY
2006 Fleetwood Wilderness Advantage AX6 40ft
"I'm not in right now.......I'm out finding myself. If I get back before I return, leave me a message and one of us will get back to you..??"

I'm right 97% of the time.........and nobody cares about the other 4%

Archived