Buena Vista dispersed RV camping.

rebar

Hello everyone. :D

I plan on camping at clear creek res with my girlfriend in my toy-hauler the end of august. I usually try to get away from town, pitkin almont area for the riding, but this year will be my girl friends first visit to Colorado but she doesn't ride dirt bikes like I try to.. So I'd like to stay close to Buena Vista for her, but hopefully escape most of the highway noise and have a view or stream. Having a quiet private camp site with no neighbors would be great, but I realize in order to be closer to town, you have to give up privacy. Maybe..

Another option would be above cottonwood lake which is 1/2 hr limit away. Or up independence pass? Four mile is to much like a desert for me. Maybe railroad bridge? I imagine that's loud.. lol

So you see, I'm having a hard time deciding where to camp, and scouting around after we get there is a option. But we only have 4 days, and would love to just back into a quiet site we're satisfied with the entire 4 days and not spend a day looking.

Can anyone give me some suggestions please? by pm if needed.

Thanks!

1997 Ram ctd 4x4 5 speed 3.54

Hello rebar,

Unfortunatelly we've never been to the area, so we can't offer specific advice.

But we've used this website in the past with reasonably good results to find boondocking locations, and it seems to list quite a few options in the vicinity: http://freecampsites.net/#!Buena Vista, Colorado

Good luck!

--

Vall.

Getting ready to join the RV full-time lifestyle in 2017!

Thanks for the link Vall..

I figured its a long shot, but allot of it depends on who your neighbors are..

Im not even sure how I ended up here on this forum.. Is there a link which explains the "class's" Or what this site is all about?

Hello rebar,

Thanks for the link Vall..

You are most welcome! And please accept our warm welcome to the forum too, when I first replied to your post (in another tread) I didn't notice your post count and so failed to proper welcome you (but Kirk has already remedied my failure).

I figured its a long shot, but allot of it depends on who your neighbors are..

I agree. With boondocking/dispersed camping, IMO the best is when there aren't any... :-)

Im not even sure how I ended up here on this forum.. Is there a link which explains the "class's" Or what this site is all about?

I don't understand what you mean by "class's" (do you mean Class A, B etc in motorhomes?), but this forum is a great channel for RVers to exchange information and get together online. It's sponsored by Escapees, which is the best club ever for RVers anywhere (Just so you get an idea, I joined as soon as I could and I don't even own an RV yet!). The forum is open to everyone, member or not, tho.

You can read more about Escapees here: http://escapees.com/

Cheers,

--

Vall.

...But we've used this website in the past with reasonably good results to find boondocking locations, and it seems to list quite a few options in the vicinity: http://freecampsites.net/#!Buena Vista, Colorado

Vail, thanks for the link. I was totally unaware of this site and its already been a major boon for our travel plans. Again, Thanks!

Berkshire XL 40QL

Camphosting and touring

We used to own a cabin in that area. The basic rules in the National Forest is that anywhere above 10000' elevation is open camping. You do have to abide by whatever fire bans that may be in effect at the time. Getting up there can be problematic, however, as a lot of the roads to really nice camping areas are not very RV friendly.

You mentioned Four Mile, and I agree, there are many places in there that are "desert" but there are also some places that are nicely treed. This a pic of Memorial Day last year.

i-Q7QFHqc-M.jpg

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

Howdy Nadathing,

Vail, thanks for the link. I was totally unaware of this site and its already been a major boon for our travel plans. Again, Thanks!

You are welcome! We didn't know about it ourselves until our last trip, when I stumbled upon it when searching for boondocking spots on the SW deserts. It's not perfect and there are both "false positives" (ie, boondocking sites which aren't) and false negatives (the opposite), we ourselves have come upon a couple of duds, so use your common sense and always have a "Plan B" ready in case things don't work out.

BTW, you might also be interested in this series of posts regarding boondocking by a blogger we follow, the gal really knows what she's doing and we learned quite a few things by reading them (specially the hints on finding BLM spots on part I):

http://www.wheelingit.us/2015/01/27/boondocking-for-newbies-part-i-finding-where-to-go/

http://www.wheelingit.us/2015/01/30/boondocking-for-newbies-part-ii-prepping-your-rv/

http://www.wheelingit.us/2015/02/04/boondocking-for-newbies-part-iii-geting-your-rig-into-the-site/

http://www.wheelingit.us/2015/02/09/boondocking-for-newbies-part-iv-enjoying-your-time-in-the-boonies/

Good travels!

Cheers,

--

Vall.

Since you didn't know about the Free Campsites website, here are a couple of more that you may or may not know about: Free Campgrounds, Bob's Cheap or Free Campgrounds, Dean's List, Boondockers Welcome, and Harvest Hosts, The National Forest Campground Guide and the Ultimate Public Campground Project websites list both free and pay public campgrounds. In printed/ebook versions there is the Escapees Days End Directory and Don Wright's Guide to Free Campgrounds.

Since you didn't know about the Free Campsites website, here are a couple of more that you may or may not know about: Free Campgrounds, Bob's Cheap or Free Campgrounds, Dean's List, Boondockers Welcome, and Harvest Hosts, The National Forest Campground Guide and the Ultimate Public Campground Project websites list both free and pay public campgrounds. In printed/ebook versions there is the Escapees Days End Directory and Don Wright's Guide to Free Campgrounds.

Golden!

I thought I had them all bookmarked..

Morning everyone!

Iv been dreaming this weekend.. I sat down and looked at my investment dividends and wondered if they were enough to retire and full time across the country for a while..

Im not trying to brag or anything.. But can $2500 per month support full timing for one person easily?

One of my delema's is not having a home base after selling all my "stuff" and home.. That and health insurance..

Where can I learn more about retirement planning? Are there experts you can hire by the hour? lol

...But can $2500 per month support full timing for one person easily? ...That and health insurance...

A lot will depend on you, your lifestyle and what you want to do as a fulltimer. If you haven't read it, this ongoing topic and this one might give you a start and help you ask more specific questions. There have been several topics discussing health insurance that may help you: Medicare Dolmicile Considerations and Under 65 and Fulltiming are two of them.

$2500/month is $30,000 a year. You should not have a problem full timing on that assuming you don't have large payments on an RV.

On that amount of money you won't be driving 25,000 miles a year staying in fancy RV parks at $40-$60 a night or places costing $600-$1000 a month. But many folks do fulltime on that or less.

If you look at volunteering at various places, you can stay for free for working 25-30 hours a week. Your expenses are just food and your ongoing expenses like insurance, etc. You won't be driving or towing your RV, so gasoline costs are way down.

On this forum, go to the Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle section and read back through the older topic looking for info about volunteering. Also go to some of the other sections like "Begining RV'ing" and read back though the topics looking for information that is useful to you.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

We spend alot of time up in the Cottonwood lake valley. If you are planning on any of the holiday weekends in the area, they can get pretty packed and hard to find a good spot that will offer a secluded campsite. Also I have seen people set up in a secluded spot and low and behold @ 2:00 am someone will roll in on top of you. We prefer to go up there off holiday weeks. It is still close enough to Buena Vista IMHO. I have even seen people drag some big toy haulers beyond anything I am will to drag my toy hauler up to. The farther you go up the rougher it gets not to mention steep. Beautiful country and we enjoy it a few times a year!

2010 25' Dunesport Monsoon TH

2001 Ford Excursion V10

1997 Kawasaki 1100STX Jetski

1991 Kawasaki Bayou 300 4x4

1989 Kawasaki Bayoy 220 2x4

We spend alot of time up in the Cottonwood lake valley. If you are planning on any of the holiday weekends in the area, they can get pretty packed and hard to find a good spot that will offer a secluded campsite. Also I have seen people set up in a secluded spot and low and behold @ 2:00 am someone will roll in on top of you. We prefer to go up there off holiday weeks. It is still close enough to Buena Vista IMHO. I have even seen people drag some big toy haulers beyond anything I am will to drag my toy hauler up to. The farther you go up the rougher it gets not to mention steep. Beautiful country and we enjoy it a few times a year!

Its beautiful up there.

I rode the road all the way up on my bike and wont ever forget it. As far as my TH. I didn't see any good dispersed spots before the road got to rough for a 24" trailer.

There are actually a few good spots you just have to back it in from the road, I have seen some people get really creative! LOL

I should have said, I didnt see any good open spots.. It was crowded the end of august 2013..

Or maybe go on up to Taylor. All kinds of disbursed camping for free.

That might be a bit far for my guest. But I agree.

I checked out what I could north of the res for future camp spots and have them marked.

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone.. :D

I'm still planning on BV area end of August.. Busy busy..

Does anyone know where I can fill up with free fresh water in BV before we head to our camp spot?

Or a good in town contact who could answer questions regarding our stay in the area? Sporting/motor sports store?

Thanks!

There's a truck stop (Gunsmoke Truck Stop) at HWY 24 / 285 just to the south of Buena Vista, possibly there I've never asked but they may may let you fill there. A little further up HWY 24 / 285 is a KOA camp ground I've paid the $10 to dump there a few times on the way home from Four Mile Area I am sure they would let you refill.

There's a few different jeep / ATV rental shops in town I don't know the name of them you would need to google that.

Timberline Motorsports on the north end of town and Hi-Rocky Sporting Goods just to the east of the traffic light. Both have knowledgeable folks working there. Rodney, the owner of Timberline might let you fill up there, but I would ask first. Other than that, I would use the KOA on the east side of town for water. They may charge a bit, but I can't imagine a lot.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

We have really good friends that live in Buena Vista, and when we went to visit, the altitude really got to me, especially when trying to sleep. Must be getting old.

Fulltiming since 2010

2000 Dutch Star

2009 Saturn Vue

Myrtle Beach, SC

Gunsmoke Truck Stop, KOA camp ground,Timberline Motorsports, Hi-Rocky Sporting Goods... Check!

Word is.. BV's public works department sells 100 gallons of water for one dollar..

But..

I'm starting to second guess my end of august Buena Vista (clear creek res) camping location choice because of the 35' Independence pass rule preventing us from towing the 24' toyhauler over to aspen. If I was alone, I would have gone back to pitkin. But since my new GF is coming along and she doesn't ride, Iv decided to stay closer to a town.

She wants to visit conundrum hot springs, so that would require the trip over Independence pass. But what I'm wondering, is if after we are over in aspen, will we want to stay longer but not be able to with the toyhauler stuck at clear creek res. We are looking for a semi private RV camp spot not right next to other campers. But close enough to a town for her/us to do something other than riding.

Are there less places, choices to boondock with a camper on the Aspen side?

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

the VFW in Johnson Village (behind Coyote Cantina) 2 miles s of BV, has donation camping $5 per night (last time we were there, anyhow), with electric water and trash included. Also cheap beer in VFW and you don't have to be a member.

the VFW in Johnson Village (behind Coyote Cantina) 2 miles s of BV, has donation camping $5 per night (last time we were there, anyhow), with electric water and trash included. Also cheap beer in VFW and you don't have to be a member.

Bonus! thanks!

We have decided to camp on the BV side and try clear creek res.. But Iv been told it can get crowded..

Any other suggestions would be appreciated as alternatives..

Archived