Sprint offers to cut monthly bills in half

Don Mcl

Sprint data is not that good a deal for RVers. We have family on Sprint and when they travel they have problems with data and sometimes voice. Data roaming is limited to 100MB per month. Here is an article by RVers on this deal - http://www.rvmobileinternet.com/sprint-to-lure-verizon-att-customers-with-12-price-service-good-for-rvers/.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

I had a Sprint unlimited everything plan a few year back when I retired that I took with me. This was when Sprint's CEO was on TV advertising "no roaming charges ever". Well the truth was as long as you were on the Sprint network that might have been true. My home base was in an area with zero coverage and Sprint called to tell me I was over my voice roaming limit. I didn't know I had one, but was advised I did. I was talking too much while roaming and since Spring didn't have any service at my home base every call was roaming. I fired them and went with Verizon.

Data roaming was even more limited.

Ed

KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, RV Flex Armor Roof

Howdy!

Thats only a good deal if Sprint works were you are located. Had Sprint service for over 15 years while living and working in Houston, Tx. When we retired and started fulltiming Sprint service was horrible. Put up with Sprint stating they where going to upgrade their system and improve it for another six years. Finally just got tired of Sprints horrible service and switched to Verizon two yeras ago. What can I say it is differant as day light and dark compared to Sprints service. As the saying goes "you get what you pay for".

"Happy Trails"

Chiefneon

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

I don't trust Sprint. We had unlimited roaming on our data contact for years, then they limited our roaming. I was told by the fourth manager I talked with that it was costing Sprint too much in charges from others that they decided to limit theirs. I was told, and this is a quote, "if you don't like go to another supplier". Sprint recently advertised on TV a $100 family plan, I stopped at a Sprint store and was told part of the plan was a requirement that you lease their phone for 2 years. Greg

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

It turns out that the average Verizon or AT&T customer that converts to Sprint with this plan only saves 20% due to costs that are not covered - http://www.androidcentral.com/sprints-cut-your-bill-half-promo-results-only-20-percent-savings.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

I have had Sprint for over 12 years(voice only) now. When first started they were a lot of places that I had no voice service.
It has been a few years now since that has been the case. I can't remember the last time voice services wasn't available.

I only travel 5 months a year and have never gotten any roaming charges or calls from them that I use it too much.

In Oct. I did get my first ever Smart Phone from them. A iPhone 6 Plus that has Unlimited Talk,Text and Data, $50 Monthly Charge, Unlimited Anytime Minutes, Unlimited Messaging, Nationwide Long Distance Included, America - Roaming Included, Call Waiting, Three-Way Calling,

I do pay $25 a month(small one is $20) lease fee on the Phone for 2 years and $11 Protection fee that Covers loss, theft, physical or liquid damage, mechanical or electrical failure due to defect or normal wear and tear.

After which I can keep paying lease or buy the phone for a little over $200. Or turn in for the latest iPhone in 2016

So my total with taxes, sprint fees etc. is $98.26 a month.

I won't know until next fall how it works when traveling. But at my winter spot the LTE fast connection has me using it for a lot more of internet searches and U tube then my slower Hughes.net.

It already has saved me some $ using the Gasbuddy app and the Co-Pilot app came in handy when I had to rent a car.

Below has been in every Sprint contract that I know of for the last 12 years or simulate to it. And probably in many other providers contracts also.

Usage Limitations: Sprint may terminate service if off-network roaming usage in a month exceeds: (1) 800 min. or a majority of min. (2) 100MB or a majority of KB. Prohibited network use rules apply. To improve the data experience for the majority of users, throughput speeds may be limited, varied or reduced on the network. See sprint.com/termsandconditions.

Did I say I have been happy with Sprint. But it is alright if your experience is different.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

I "think" I saw something on TV about Verizon having a new program out on December 5. i am sure it was not a Sprint ad. Any one else see the ad?

Fulltimming since 2000. Now 3/4 timming
2012 Ram Laramie CC, DRW, 2014 3150RL Montana
Sent via Verizon USB727 from somewhere.

• 5 weeks later...

My wife and I laughed at this ad when it first aired. Funny how T-Mobile was not included in that offer (we have T-Mobile). We have T-Mobile for 10 years and the only place we don't have coverage NOBODY has coverage. We travel overseas, mainly to Scotland and Ireland and have free unlimited data and text even there. You could not get me to change.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

My wife and I laughed at this ad when it first aired. Funny how T-Mobile was not included in that offer (we have T-Mobile). We have T-Mobile for 10 years and the only place we don't have coverage NOBODY has coverage. We travel overseas, mainly to Scotland and Ireland and have free unlimited data and text even there. You could not get me to change.

This shows why it is important to get what works where YOU go.

T-Mobile is a great outfit with a pretty good set of plans and benefits. It just does not have good nationwide data coverage. As compared to Verizon or ATT. BUT, if it has coverage where YOU GO, then it works well..... :)

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

• 4 weeks later...

I want to know when Verizon will start offering roll over data to keep up with ATT and T Mobile. This would be a good benefit and perhaps allow some of us to cut back on the data limits, thusly cutting our costs.

GS Lifetime #822128658, FMCA #F431170

2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Extended Class B

I want to know when Verizon will start offering roll over data to keep up with ATT and T Mobile. This would be a good benefit and perhaps allow some of us to cut back on the data limits, thusly cutting our costs.

http://www.rvmobileinternet.com/verizon-cfo-we-will-never-roll-over-data/ - don't hold your breath.

Just shows how GREEDY Verizon really is. If Sprint had a WiFi device or Hotspot with more than 6 GB data we would have stayed with them. Verizon is expensive for the data we need. Our present 20 GB plan for our Jetpack and 2 phones is over $231 per month. That includes $40 per phone and $20 for the MiFi monthly access. Fortunately we qualify for the 19% discount due to wife's employer. Unfortunately that only can be used against the data costs.

I repeat, Verizon is VERY GREEDY!

GS Lifetime #822128658, FMCA #F431170

2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Extended Class B

• 3 months later...

Just shows how GREEDY Verizon really is. If Sprint had a WiFi device or Hotspot with more than 6 GB data we would have stayed with them. Verizon is expensive for the data we need. Our present 20 GB plan for our Jetpack and 2 phones is over $231 per month. That includes $40 per phone and $20 for the MiFi monthly access. Fortunately we qualify for the 19% discount due to wife's employer. Unfortunately that only can be used against the data costs.

I repeat, Verizon is VERY GREEDY!

have you tried looking into AT&T? I know they have a bring your own device program or you can buy a device at full retail pricing and your bill will be a lot lower than verizons!!

Since my #10 post. I have been on my summer trip since April 30th.

On May 3rd I arrived at a area to stay a week in IN. My Sprint didn't have any 3G or LTE service. But did have no problem with voice.

I checked Verizon map for the area and it showed 4G was good. I went out and bought a Straight Talk Hot Spot.

It would fade in and out. So it wasn't much help.

I moved next to a 100 miles West and have been there a little over a week. Sprint voice is good. On occasion can get 3G.

Verizon only 1X. :(

Starting to think I wasted $$$ on the Straight Talk.

And I no longer believe the hipe about Verizon strong data service.

On the good side my Datastorm has worked good everyplace.

I was trying to use only cell data or WiFi on my trip to help decide on dropping the Datastorm.

So far it doesn't look good for cell.

I'm moving this Sat. to a campground that I know has fast WiFi. So there the Datastorm won't be needed.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

Personally I would not trust how a Straight Talk hotspot works as a true indicator of how well Verizon works somewhere, there are differences in coverage. I learned that when I used a Virgin Mobile hotspot, it did not match Sprint's network that well and sometimes service was very slow while true Sprint customers had good speeds.

Verizon does not work everywhere, which is when our AT&T hotspot saves us, but it works in more places than Sprint. We have family members with Sprint phones and they hit places without service all the time, in California, Oregon and Washington. A buddy just drove across Kansas from Kansas City to Denver with both an iPhone and Sprint hotspot. He had no Sprint service for much of his trip.

Last time I compared V and ATT they were within $5 of each other......for what *I* want.

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

Starting to think I wasted $$$ on the Straight Talk.

And I no longer believe the hipe about Verizon strong data service.

Believe the hype. I use Verizon. I have not been without data at 4G speeds for at least a year now, everywhere I go. Occasionally there is a dead spot while driving, but in any place I stop I have had decent to excellent service. ATT is almost as good. Straightalk is fine where is works but it seems it does not work at LTE everywhere V does.

www.jackdanmayer.com

I concur with Jack (many thanks as always, Jack, for your web site - I have learned so much!!!).

From my personal experience, I have used my iPhone 4 w/Straight Talk on Verizon's network for several years, and it has worked well for me.

However I recently purchased Straight Talk's hotspot (on Verizon's network) and am finding it doesn't have the range of my Verizon MiFi (for which I temporarily suspended service as I tested the ST hotspot).

Just sharing my experience, your mileage will vary :-)

Rachael, Snow, Oliver, Fiona and Gloria
2008 Roadtrek 170

Sprint and T-mobile here in the Shreveport area only work in town. Sprint has no signal at my house or in North Haughton, and nowhere in the rural areas away from Interstates AND cities. T-Mobile works in Shrevort and alon Intertate not State highways here. If one drives north of Shreveport, where hwy 1 and 71 split, the TMobile coverage ends on 71 until Texarkana.

Here Verizon is king. They are offering a phone and 10GB of data for 80-90 dollars and 15 for each additional line.

I can do without mobile data altogether with my main use at home. But Straight Talk, for talking, texting, and slow 3G mostly on Verizon towers can't be beat. Unless you use your phone for all data. And while unlimited access, they throttle the speeds after your first 3GB.

I use Verizon prepaid. $45.00 for unlimited voice, LD, Texts and 1GB data. I signed up for auto refill/pay and get a 1GB bonus? I have yet to use a half GB in any month. That would change on the road. I will be changing my SH from her current Android phone on ST at ~$40 buying six months t a time. I'm waiting until Windows Phone(WP) 10 comes out and works well on mine, now WP 8.1 Denim.

Unlike Android that depends on the vendors (Verizon, AT&T etc.) to update their phones Android or Windows, which vendors can be a year after release of a new Android or as recently I experienced with WP update from 8 to 8.1, which I got directly from MS not Verizon as they dragged their heels ~six months.

MS will jump over the vendors and update all Windows phones with Windows update for Windows 10 desktop and tablet and phone. No more waiting for the latest.

My Galaxy Tabs were not updated to ICS until a year after available, and they abandoned further updates.

So any enterprise that invested in Galaxy Tabs soon had to buy all new hardware. Same with anyone wanting some of he newer features and Bluetooth versions etc.

I am Windows user, true. And I don't begrudge other brands of hardware or soft. Windows does and is doing what I like is all. Unified ecosphere, opt out of tracking, no giving access to my privacy in return for using their only pay with your privacy Google terms, which price is too high for me. For privacy, Apple or MS phone or PC OS'. Security is, as security's user does

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Archived