RV EPDM Roof Coating Advice (Liquid Rubber)

DuneElliot

I am planning on doing a little preventative maintenance on the roof of my fifth wheel before I hit the road so that it is not something I have to worry about or fix down the road

As per the recommendations of several here I will be using the Liquid Rubber White Liquid EPDM Roof Coating

What I am running into are the reviews on Amazon. Some state that they barely had any coating left from a 5 gallon bucket on a 28ft trailer. Others state they had a gallon and a half left on a 30ft trailer (I realize this has to do with how thick people were putting it on). Others also mention how the last half of the bucket was almost unusable because the catalyst was working to fast and it was beginning to set already.

My fifth wheel is 27-28ft long with one slide (does not have the EPDM covering).

What have your experiences been with using the Liquid Rubber? Did it thicken too quickly? Was there enough? What was the ideal temperature for applying it?

Should I go with the five gallon bucket? Or do you think that with my size of RV that I would be okay with 4 individual gallons that would be less likely to thicken too fast and give me some leeway on timing?

2007 Keystone Springdale 245 FWRLL-S (modified)

2000 F-250 7.3L SRW

Cody and Kye, border collie extraordinaires

Latest departure date: 10/1/2017

Find us at www.nomadicpawprints.wordpress.com

Which ever portion size you end up using , always put the lid back on after you pour the quantity you're going to spread . That will lengthen the 'workable' time of the liquid .

I always do that with paint for that very reason. It's a good rule to work by :D

2000 F-250 7.3L SRW

I have been thinking of doing this also. glad it was brought up. An i guess its actually how thick its laid down. I just painted my house CBS. Should of been 5/6 Gallons, ended up using almost 9. An that was with a roller. IMO i guess it comes down to the following. Don't really matter how much ya end up using as long as it's done right, a good amt of coverage all over. Once it's done it's done.

2000 Itasca Horizon DP (Got Total During Irma). 

Vice President of Charlotte County Defenders LE MC

http://charlotte.defenderslemc.com/

I have been thinking of doing this also. glad it was brought up. An i guess its actually how thick its laid down. I just painted my house CBS. Should of been 5/6 Gallons, ended up using almost 9. An that was with a roller. IMO i guess it comes down to the following. Don't really matter how much ya end up using as long as it's done right, a good amt of coverage all over. Once it's done it's done.

Very true, but I don't want to buy too much and I don't want to not buy enough and I don't want have the last gallon in a 5 gallon bucket unusable. I'm hoping someone who has used this stuff, or a similar product, chime in with their experiences. I've seen people talk about it here a few times before.

2000 F-250 7.3L SRW

We used this on our coach. Mix small batches at a time. If you mix a 5 gallon bucket all at once, it will kick off before you're done. I mixed 2 or 3 gallons at a time. Half a 5 gallon bucket will work if you apply it quick enough. For those that had leftovers, some of the roof did not get enough coating. We did have one issue. Although the roof seems to be sealed fine, a few months after we applied Liquid Rubber, gray splotches started to appear all over the roof. The splotches got larger an darker and eventually covered the entire roof. It looks pretty bad. The manufacturer was no help whatsoever with this problem. I have no idea whether this will have any affect on the product in the long term. Chuck

58dd65872f8a7_ReducedRVandCar.jpg.cf7b626fb3b5b05ebc20cb05195193a2.jpg

Chuck and Susan      1999 Fleetwood Bounder 34            Triton V10 on Ford Chassis

We used this on our coach. Mix small batches at a time. If you mix a 5 gallon bucket all at once, it will kick off before you're done. I mixed 2 or 3 gallons at a time. Half a 5 gallon bucket will work if you apply it quick enough. For those that had leftovers, some of the roof did not get enough coating. We did have one issue. Although the roof seems to be sealed fine, a few months after we applied Liquid Rubber, gray splotches started to appear all over the roof. The splotches got larger an darker and eventually covered the entire roof. It looks pretty bad. The manufacturer was no help whatsoever with this problem. I have no idea whether this will have any affect on the product in the long term. Chuck

I have done a couple RVs with Liquid Roof as well. Use a 5 gallon bucket with a screen in it like for painting. Just put the product in that you use. The older product will go off but it makes working mcuh easier and easier is faster too. Dont mix product until you are ready with EVERYTHING. I would guess that splotches may have been caused by substrate interaction. Be watchful for delamination. I try to add a bit of bleach to my final wash solution to kill any organics (mold etc) before I apply the product. Rinse well and let dry completely or you might get mold from water trapped under product. Be VERY thorough with prep. Shortcuts will bite you in the butt!

I have even used a yard blower to remove any debris and moisture before applying product.

Marcel

Thank you for all the feedback. I think I am going to order single gallon units but still wondering if I should order 4 or 5.

I had initially painted the roof with the wrong thing which wasted a lot of money but the one thing it did do was to strip off all the crap that was on the roof with it when it started peeling. I will be very thorough with prep work and cleaning and drying as I can only afford to do this once and want to do it right.

For those who have used this already can you tell me how you did your washes/cleanings to end up with a good roof to coat properly?

2000 F-250 7.3L SRW

We scrubbed the entire roof with a medium brush and dish soap. Nothing else. However, we had been using rubber roof cleaner in the past for normal cleaning and the roof was in pretty clean condition. Do not use ANY petroleum based products on the roof. Chuck

Chuck and Susan      1999 Fleetwood Bounder 34            Triton V10 on Ford Chassis

• 2 weeks later...

Look at the manufacturers website for good info and videos on preparation. Chuck

I agree, many mfgrs will not stand with their warranty if proper prep was ignored.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Look at the manufacturers website for good info and videos on preparation. Chuck

I have used Liquid Rubber many times and spent alot of time looking for instructions for cleaning the roof to assure success. I did not find much comprehensive information on line or on their containers. I called the company and was able to speak to the man that said he invented the product. He was kind enough to spend time with me explaining what works best and when I did a few coaches with his product, I was able to have a successful outcome. I have attempted to pass this along by sharing this info and my own experience to others that have inquired.

There are many topics on this forum that I have contributed to which I have spoken about how to do certain steps for a good outcome. If you PM me I am glad to repeat for you or answer any specific question you may have.

Marcel

I have used Liquid Rubber many times and spent alot of time looking for instructions for cleaning the roof to assure success. I did not find much comprehensive information on line or on their containers. I called the company and was able to speak to the man that said he invented the product. He was kind enough to spend time with me explaining what works best and when I did a few coaches with his product, I was able to have a successful outcome. I have attempted to pass this along by sharing this info and my own experience to others that have inquired.

There are many topics on this forum that I have contributed to which I have spoken about how to do certain steps for a good outcome. If you PM me I am glad to repeat for you or answer any specific question you may have.

Why would you not want to share that info here? Chuck

I did not find much comprehensive information on line or on their containers.

The Liquid Rubber site is ripe with videos on doing the prep and application of the covering. Not sure where you were looking.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Thanks for all the advice. I am going with 4 individual gallons to start with. If 4 isn't enough I can order another one, but if I order 5 and don't need the last one I have to pay return shipping and a re-stocking fee.

2000 F-250 7.3L SRW

• 3 months later...

Well I got the scrubbing and cleaning done last night...it looked so clean and pretty. It took less effort than I thought, partly because when I had used an "RV/Mobile Home" roof coat it peeled all the dirt off with it when I removed it in sheets!! I almost wish I'd done that to the whole roof, but I hadn't originally done the back 6 ft.

Due to expected high temperatures today I started early and took a brush to all the edging and also cut around all the roof stuff (vents, AC unit, skylights etc). That used up a little under half a can. I then only used the rest of that can and most of another one to finish the roof with a quality roller. I was expecting to use 4 gallons (what I had ordered) for a 27ft trailer and I certainly didn't put a thin layer on. It wasn't super thick either, but I think it was suitable according to the directions and what others have said.

It looks nice...right up until the point it has started becoming a fly graveyard reminiscent of the La Brea tar pits. I guess I'm going to have to live with the carcasses because there's no way to clean them off while the roof is wet. Has anyone else dealt with this? Or dealt with not needing as much as you thought?

I haven't done the slide as I didn't think I'd have enough, nor that it needed doing, but with an extra 2 gallons I may just go ahead and do it. I hadn't cleaned it yet so didn't continue with it today.

2000 F-250 7.3L SRW

• 3 years later...

Welcome to the SKP's forums Nicole!  At what company do you and your experts work selling roof materials?

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

• 8 months later...

sorry I'm late responding. I didn't use your project but I cleaned our 40' Teton with my pressure washer. It strips off everything. Let it dry and applied my product. Worked great. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1