Domicile analysis

Kiltedpig

Many military members have a permanent home address, often at a relative's house, where driver's licenses and absentee voting take place for both spouses unless they have a long enough term duty assignment to make it worth changing domiciles. Vehicles are usually required to be licensed in the state where they are primarily garaged to help pay for the roads on which they are mostly driven. People who travel full time in RVs usually license their vehicle at the permanent home address--in this case a mail forwarding service. Please, do not assume things you did while on active duty can continue to be done when retired. Find out or risk paying the price for being wrong.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also wonder why more people do not use Tennessee as fulltimers residence. There is no income tax, vehicle registration cost is low ($25 year), insurance is reasonable. As to the sales tax, it's high, but that only counts when you are in Tennessee. While traveling the country, you pay the sales tax where you are. I am a Tennessee resident now. When I go fulltime, is there an advantage of changing to TX or SD? What am I missing? Why don't more people use TN?

The sales tax would only hurt if you buy vehicles in TN. Especially in Williamson county, but it is not the full 9.25%. If you bring your own vehicles into the state (moving domiciles) just a registration fee.

My HDT is registered in Williamson county. Williamson and Davidson have emissions testing, but most other counties do not.

When you go fulltime, if you are keeping a home base in TN, then don't change anything IMO. Insurance rates are decent in TN as well (as least compared to NC).

2003 International Eagle 9200i, Cummins ISX, Freedomline

2007 Teton Scottsdale XT4

Hello LockMeUp68,

The sales tax would only hurt if you buy vehicles in TN. (...) If you bring your own vehicles into the state (moving domiciles) just a registration fee.

Interesting. Roamer's "States for Fulltimers" spreadsheet doesn't mention that. Does that apply even if I buy a truck in another state and pay no tax (because I'm not a resident of that state) and then bring it to TN for registration as part of establishing my domicile there?

(Hummrm... I guess I already know the answer to that one... ;-) )

Cheers,

--

Vall.

Getting ready to join the RV full-time lifestyle in 2017!

Hello LockMeUp68,

Interesting. Roamer's "States for Fulltimers" spreadsheet doesn't mention that. Does that apply even if I buy a truck in another state and pay no tax (because I'm not a resident of that state) and then bring it to TN for registration as part of establishing my domicile there?

(Hummrm... I guess I already know the answer to that one... ;-) )

Cheers,

--

Vall.

Wherever you are domiciled, if you buy a car and bring it back in and the title is not in your name, then yes, you would pay sales tax. However, if you registered it somewhere else where there is no sales tax first, then eventually registered it in TN, no sales tax. You are just bringing your personal vehicle into the state.

2003 International Eagle 9200i, Cummins ISX, Freedomline

2007 Teton Scottsdale XT4

Archived