Looking into an HDT truck, what does a newbie need to know?

Brass

That's what I get for reading on a phone. Doh! I think I even remember that. If my failing memory still half functions, besides Gregg, I think there's about 4 more members within an hour drive of Calgary. Maybe more. I'm a good 8 hours out, but willing to share, and know of 4 or 5 more up here that aren't members, but will swap stories for adult beverages.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Another concern would be the fifth wheel they don't like to articulate considering they're just made of wood.

I am very aware of that limitation! We have found the limits of articulation in our Reese hitch on a few occasions. A gooseneck may be in our future.

We know that as the RV gets larger and the tow vehicle increases in weight we'll be more limited in our camping locations. We're fine with that but

That's what I get for reading on a phone. Doh! I think I even remember that. If my failing memory still half functions, besides Gregg, I think there's about 4 more members within an hour drive of Calgary. Maybe more. I'm a good 8 hours out, but willing to share, and know of 4 or 5 more up here that aren't members, but will swap stories for adult beverages.

Yes, we are in Calgary. I have spoken with Gregg a few times and have been going through his online videos. He's a great source of information.

Here is a question for those with the auto transmissions. Can you rock your truck with them, such as you would when stuck, shifting from 1st to reverse like you would with a manual to help get unstuck?

Don't know about the auto's, but you cannot rock a manual. To shift from reverse to any forward gear the input shaft on the transmission has to stop turning. There is a gizmo in the clutch that is called a clutch brake. It grabs the input shaft and stops it. On my manual, it usually takes 1-3 seconds from when the pedal is depressed to the floor to be able to shift into gear.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

On a 3 pedal auto trans, you can rock it by having it in gear (forward), give it a little, then partial clutch (it will rock back a little), then give it some more forward. Won't go into the whole reason why I know this, but as mentioned, you really don't want to do this on a wet surface - you will bury everything.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

My limited assistance on this one would be in the hitch area. I was formerly big into competitive rockcrawling 4wd's, and everyone who had a big trailer was gooseneck or bumper pull, for the reasons you were worried about - getting to "campsites" (often just fields at the end of a not-so-smooth logging road) required articulation between the tow rig and trailer.

Rich Q, AKA "Quin the Eskimo" Window-shopping hopefully for not much longer!

Ultrashift Plus with hill start aid and air traction control will pussy foot out of the stupidest situations if you leave the ATC "on", and let the system work.

11 inch front tyres with 12,000lbs on them... not so much...

In an emergency dropping tyre pressure to 35 psi greatly increases flotation and traction. Low speed only.

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

We're going to need an Alberta HDT Rally soon.

I tried a few years ago, nothing but crickets and me. Red Deer

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

We are on the east coast at the moment but will be getting back to Alberta end of June/first part of July. Not sure yet where we will be hanging our hats. All depends on where I get sent to work. It's possible that we may be hanging out in Calgary for awhile. You are more then welcome to stop by.

On a side note...a set of tire chains will get you just about anywhere you want to go

Mike

2000 W900L KW
Singled, C15 CAT 475 HP 18 sp, 3:36 rear, power locker,ET Hitch,,22.5 rubber

2011 Excel 36CFE Limited

photo2_zpse35f7a55.jpg

Archived