Nanook is Complete, Finally

Larry&Donna-AK

We are super Happy.

Finally after Months of delays, Volvo's fault, Herrin's Smart Bed with installed ET Hitch is complete.

We HIGHLY recommend Herrin. Larry and Family are wiling to help make your dream come true, everything is built in house. Special thanks to Larry for listening to me and making sure the Bed was Perfect, Jacob for a job well done on the Smart Bed, and Jeb for building the awesome Drom Box.

FYI: One of my special request is the Slope top on the Drom Box.

Let the Projects & Add-On's begin :)

post-30881-0-04838400-1463885581_thumb.jpg

post-30881-0-50293000-1463885597_thumb.jpg

Planning Nanook version 2.0

Nanook "When we made ready to depart, after a few days, Nanook was beside himself with joy. Hudson Stuck

a little

That's a good looking build job, as always. That didn't take long?

LOL I ordered the Truck September 2016 for a January delivery.

Seriously, the Bed Build took 5 weeks 5 Days, a little over the 4-5 Weeks Larry stated at the beginning.

Nanook "When we made ready to depart, after a few days, Nanook was beside himself with joy. Hudson Stuck

Very nice!

FYI: One of my special request is the Slope top on the Drom Box.

Any particular reason for wanting a slope? Certainly looks sharp!

Let the Projects & Add-On's begin :)

Start with the rest of the lights and reflectors on the bed! ;-)

Herrin's beds usually come up a few short--PM/e-mail me if you want help.

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

Very nice!

Any particular reason for wanting a slope? Certainly looks sharp!

Start with the rest of the lights and reflectors on the bed! ;-)

Herrin's beds usually come up a few short--PM/e-mail me if you want help.

Being a Complete Novice, my thought for the Slope is that I like it but also "May" help with snow/rain and besides who puts anything on top. Also, it may be useful for a future Solar Panel.

Thank you for the offer and Yes, you're correct ... The reflectors are part of the add-on's plan for the Truck. Baby Steps ;) The next few months will be overwhelming for me.

You know there's an easier way to keep snow off of it--drive to warmer weather!

In general though, I'm not a fan of flat surfaces--unless they're sturdy enough to be truly flat. You don't want water (or snow, ice, etc.) ponding anywhere it doesn't have to.

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

You know there's an easier way to keep snow off of it--drive to warmer weather!

In general though, I'm not a fan of flat surfaces--unless they're sturdy enough to be truly flat. You don't want water (or snow, ice, etc.) ponding anywhere it doesn't have to.

LOL... exactly

sent you a PM

Very nice. Can't wait to see it in person at the WCR.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Good looking rig! More kudos to the Herrin family.

Looks like you continued the amber Panelite side markers on the bed. Way to think ahead.

IMG_3217a.jpg.c718bc170600aa5ce52e515511d83cb7.jpg

Jim & Wilma

2006 Travel Supreme 36RLQSO

2009 Volvo VNL730, D13, I-shift, ET, Herrin Hauler bed, "Ruby"

2017 Smart

Class of 2017

SWEET!! That is sharp looking.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Got a link to an album so we can see details up close?

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Jack, Here is the photo album you requested. Hoping the link works, I'm still learning therefore let me know if I forgot something.

Also, If you notice there is a small trap door on the rear deck left of the ET Hitch. A 46 gallon tank was installed below the ET Hitch for future use. I decided a smaller tank than David's to keep the standard rear storage boxes.

https://picasaweb.google.com/101727193717282580305/6283238895878820641?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCKnD79bWnebg1QE&feat=directlink

"A 46 gallon tank was installed below the ET Hitch for future use. I decided a smaller tank than David's to keep the standard rear storage boxes"

So are you thinking sewage transfer tank?

Larry installed a 75 gal tank, which I found, for me with that same use. With a 100 inch deck, I didn't really have any loss of storage box size.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

That is a very nice bed. While planning mine I have been thinking about a 75 or 100 gallon tank between the rails under the hitch. it would have a small pump and not be tied to the truck's fuel system. Figure it would use it to haul gasoline for the trailer, or toad.

2016 Road Warrior 420

2001 Volvo VNL 660

Alaska Based.

Hero..."So are you thinking sewage transfer tank?"

Yes, I'm thinking sewage transfer will be a good use for the tank, albeit I'll have to make more trips. Admittedly I'm a novice, This is an area I was unfamiliar with when Larry asked if I wanted a Tank. My reply, "Sure but I don't want to lose any storage" Larry selected the tank and added a rock shield. I'm happy, at least until I learn to know better. ;)

Hero..."So are you thinking sewage transfer tank?"

Yes, I'm thinking sewage transfer will be a good use for the tank, albeit I'll have to make more trips. Admittedly I'm a novice, This is an area I was unfamiliar with when Larry asked if I wanted a Tank. My reply, "Sure but I don't want to lose any storage" Larry selected the tank and added a rock shield. I'm happy, at least until I learn to know better. ;)

It's probably not elegant enough for a brand new truck, but you might be interested in how I'm pumping waste: http://rvnerds.com/2016/01/29/home-brew-macerator-pump/

Being a Complete Novice, my thought for the Slope is that I like it but also "May" help with snow/rain and besides who puts anything on top. Also, it may be useful for a future Solar Panel.

Thank you for the offer and Yes, you're correct ... The reflectors are part of the add-on's plan for the Truck. Baby Steps ;) The next few months will be overwhelming for me.

Larry,

The sloped roof does look nice! I do stand on my drom when washing the roof of the truck with soap and bucket! :)

It's probably not elegant enough for a brand new truck, but you might be interested in how I'm pumping waste: http://rvnerds.com/2016/01/29/home-brew-macerator-pump/

When you're dealing with crap who cares about elegance, my first thought is spillage. LOL Thanks for the link.

Not sure what details you're looking for, I will be happy to post what I can.

Truthfully, not all of our photos were posted. Larry Herrin asked me NOT to publicly post the in shop process because "there are competitor's trying copy my design and I don't want to make to easy for them". I can see his point and will honor his request.

Are ya'll welding studs to bed to secure wheel stops? I didn't cause I was concerned I could puncture tire. That is what it looks like to me in pics. Great looking truck.

Glen thank you for the compliment on the truck.

I think I need a better explanation on "wheel stops". Haven't a clue what you're referring to.

Justice had memory bubble pop. ;) if you're referring to the Smart car wheelstops they are bolted on to the Bed. When using the ramps the stops are removed and ramp is secured using the same bolts.

Archived