Is a truck with a super 10 speed, a white elephant ?

alan0043

Denver,

No worries. Wasn't trying to be negative, but some people don't like to give out addresses. I knew you were just being helpful. I don't give a phone number to every store that asks. Have yet to have one tell me why they need it other than to sell it! BTW Donna says you are welcome.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

With the trans in neutral, the oil pump doesn't pump causing premature wear on the gears, shafts, bearings, etc.

Well that makes a lot of sense.. thanks!

Rich Q, AKA "Quin the Eskimo" Window-shopping hopefully for not much longer!

• 2 weeks later...

With the trans in neutral, the oil pump doesn't pump causing premature wear on the gears, shafts, bearings, etc.

Thanks for this post. I for some reason did not see the above question. Lots of the super 10's were trashed while in Ga overdrive. I know for me I had to ask that same question when I was told not to coast with one for any reason.

Pete

event.png

It seems I may be a broken record on this question. So, let me explain....... my '04 came equipped with a 10 speed Meritor. No Super 10, 13 or anything similar - Just a plain-jane 10 speed with a clutch that took an elephant's foot to depress. Add to that, the clutch brake was hamburger long before I bought the truck and I had two big screws in my left knee from an earlier injury. I quickly learned how to slide my knee under the steering column at a traffic light to hold the clutch in, but that didn't help me much when I was backing up slowly - I often had to stop and rest! But an auto-shift would not have been a better selection because I would still need the clutch. The good news was the clutch on my truck was solid - no slippage. And, it came cheap - which at the time was important. The old saying, "necessity is the mother of invention" held true. I conjured up a pneumatic assist with a button on the gear shift that would do the clutch work. A little valving adjustment and it would even release smoothly with no foot pressure. Of course, it the clutch brake had been functional, this would not have worked as well. Maintenance and repairs on the 10 speed are nil compared to an automatic. I get to choose my gear without a computer telling me which one. Backing up is smooth with no engine-reving jerk and the rowing of the stick with my right arm keeps my rotator-cuff impaired shoulder from getting stiff. So - IMHO, a super 10 would not be a white elephant - maybe a pink one, but not white. I like my manual and we make good bedfellows.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

Anything Eaton over 1500 ft lbs is going to have an internal oil pump that drives off of the input shaft. So don't coast and turn your truck off... The Super 10, however, automatically makes a range shift when you move the stick over to the 3rd row. So if you throw your truck into N at speed and the stick centers itself it also puts the range valve into low range. It would be the same as going to N and putting your range in low at speed on a normal manual, which of course you'd never do. Same goes for not downshifting your way out through the high range or that syncronizer whine guys get when they are trying to get into low range when still going way too fast. You cringe at that in your normal manual but it just isn't as intuitive in a Super 10. So it keeps happening until she dies. Super 10's were also your 90's mega carrier highway trans of choice before the autoshift came to be so alot of them weren't treated so nicely either. Once you've got a bad rap in trucking it is hard to shake it.

Hi Everyone,

It is nice to know the my truck has some worth to it. I believe that my truck can make someone a good truck. I have done some nice work to the interior of the truck as well of doing some outside work . The truck can haul a RZR or a Smart car on the deck . The truck started life as a factory single.I will need to get a list together of what the truck has on it. There is a truck or two in Nashville that have an I-shift I would like to look at. Once I make a deal on a newer truck I will put my truck up for sale. You can say that the truck is up for sale right now. I just need to put an ad in the for sale section of the forum to make it official. You ca always send me a p/m with any questions.

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

If I remember correctly that was Toterman's old truck.

Can't vouch for it now (but I am sure Alan has taken very good care of it) but when I saw it, it was a class act.

Very nicely done.

My apologies if I am wrong..

Cheers,

Bob

1989 Safari Serengeti 34'
Towing a 1952 M38A1 Military Willys

Past HDT owner

If I remember correctly that was Toterman's old truck.

Can't vouch for it now (but I am sure Alan has taken very good care of it) but when I saw it, it was a class act.

Very nicely done.

My apologies if I am wrong..

Cheers,

Bob

Hi Bob,

Thank you for the kind words. The truck was one of Toterman's first trucks. I have tried to keep the truck looking good. There has been improvements made to the big gal. I have installed a Hayes brake controller, Jackalopee, and moved the hitch back so the truck can hull a Smart car or a UTV.

Al

Al

Hi Everyone,

The truck will be going up for sale. I need to take some pictures and write down a description of what the truck has. This information will be posted in the for sale section of the forum. The truck started life as a factory single.

Al

Hi Al,

My advice is to create a photo album and link to it. The more pictures the better. That will give you the best chance of moving it quickly. I like Google Photo's, but there are other alternatives that are also free.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Hi Al,

My advice is to create a photo album and link to it. The more pictures the better. That will give you the best chance of moving it quickly. I like Google Photo's, but there are other alternatives that are also free.

Hi Jack,

Thank you for the idea. I have never used Google Photo. I will try to Google it and see what comes up. Time to charge up the camera.

Al

• 4 months later...

Hi Everyone,

It is time to let everyone know that the truck is for sale. I also understand that I need to post the sale in the For Sale Section with pictures and a description. I have been dragging my feet long enough. Asking price is $24,000. The truck is located in Canton, Ohio

Al

Hi Everyone,

It is time to let everyone know that the truck is for sale. I also understand that I need to post the sale in the For Sale Section with pictures and a description. I have been dragging my feet long enough. Asking price is $24,000. The truck is located in Canton, Ohio

Al

1998 Volvo VNL 420 for sale

MrSears,

Thank you for the help. How did you do that ? That is what I was trying to do. Like I said before, a computer can be a good paper weight. lol.

Thank you again for the help,

Al

Al, it is real easy to put a link like that on here. Go up to the bar that has the web address (it begins with www.), click on it so that it changes color, right click and then click "copy". In your reply box you will see something that looks like a chain link. Click on that and it will open a box. In the line that says URL put your mouse there and right click. Then you will see the word "Paste". Click that and you have put a link in your post!

VisitedStatesMap.gif

Al, it is real easy to put a link like that on here. Go up to the bar that has the web address (it begins with www.), click on it so that it changes color, right click and then click "copy". In your reply box you will see something that looks like a chain link. Click on that and it will open a box. In the line that says URL put your mouse there and right click. Then you will see the word "Paste". Click that and you have put a link in your post!

Mntom,

I think I was able to copy the link and do the post. Thank you for your help.

Al

Archived