Modular Smart Car Beds

bmzero

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cant wait to see this version installed.

Thanks.

I hope to have it done Sunday evening. I have some neoprene gasket coming in Sunday evening that I'll have to wait on before adding the aluminum bed plates. I'm using the neoprene to prevent Galvanic corrosion (big word of the day) between the steel and aluminum.

"Willy Mammoth" - Volvo 730, Sold

Heartland Cyclone 4000 Toy Hauler
T-Minus 26 years and counting to being a full timer.

So, in another thread, the "q" was asked about wood beds. Wouldn't some nice oak look cool with hardware in that gold plating? I'd bet some ingenious fellow could design a kit to put a really cool steel/wood bed on an aero truck. Maybe just wood side boards for when you need to haul something.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

So, in another thread, the "q" was asked about wood beds. Wouldn't some nice oak look cool with hardware in that gold plating? I'd bet some ingenious fellow could design a kit to put a really cool steel/wood bed on an aero truck. Maybe just wood side boards for when you need to haul something.

I have been wanting to do wooden bed slats with this kit for a while. I even talked to a couple of guys at the ECR about it. I think it could look really classy if the slats are finished well.

The steel will provide the structure. The wood will provide the looks.

Very interesting idea. Great minds think alike. There is someone else thinking the same thing. It is not me. I was sent a p/m this afternoon with the idea about covering the bed components with wood not using steel for the top surface. To give the bed on a hdt the look of the old pick-up trucks. I need to put a bed on my new project. I have to give this idea more thought.

Who knows what will happen.

Al

PS; Brit, you beat me writing this out.

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

The steel components are back from Zinc coating now. NuTec Metal Finishing knocked it out of the park on these. The coating only added 12 microns of thickness

I realize 12 mic is very small, but are there issues with the added zinc causing problems with the threaded holes? Or do you clean the threads up before assembly?

12 micron is 0.0005", or 0.012 mm. Probably as close as manufacturing tolerances between a nut and bolt. Can't see how that would cause any issues.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

I realize 12 mic is very small, but are there issues with the added zinc causing problems with the threaded holes? Or do you clean the threads up before assembly?

12 microns is almost immeasurable with normal calipers. It has no impact on the threads or other tolerances.

That's the main reason I chose Zinc over other coatings.

That looks great. It will be interesting to see the finished version...

I agree that on certain truck projects some nicely done oak or mahogany would look good. It would not work with all "styles", though. I'd be after a very clean "aero" look and the wood would not work...but it would be "killer" on other projects. I can tell you that maintenance is pretty intensive, though. I have used it for other vehicle projects and it does require "diligence".

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

That looks great. It will be interesting to see the finished version...

I agree that on certain truck projects some nicely done oak or mahogany would look good. It would not work with all "styles", though. I'd be after a very clean "aero" look and the wood would not work...but it would be "killer" on other projects. I can tell you that maintenance is pretty intensive, though. I have used it for other vehicle projects and it does require "diligence".

That's a good point. It's also worth noting that it's important to keep high-finished wood out of harsh sunlight when possible. These trucks prevent some storage problems due to their size, so if someone was to do a high-finish wooden slat bed, they should also plan on building a cover to place over the bed slats if the truck needed to be stored out in the open.

Here are some updated photos of the beams going on the truck. My brain-based inventory tracking system misplaced a box of hardware, so I'm on hold until Tuesday evening when the new bolts get here.

Step 1 - Lay the beams out on a flat surface. I like to do this on the frame rail of the truck. Each beam half is just over 60 lbs, so they're pretty heavy. When they are connected to another half, they're pretty hefty for one person. Assembling them on the frame rails makes moving them into position pretty simple, even for one person.

dc02b014-1319-4b03-8257-d53cb4d08557-s.j
Step 2 - Locate the connector plates
a6b1795d-d662-4375-985c-0b2bf0ac2b9b-s.j
Step 3 - Connect the beam halves together using the connector plates

I'll add some more photos and assembly steps after the remaining hardware gets here.

The new bed is working out great.

f994b566-03a5-4f79-9245-293b1fef044f-s.j
Trimlock is used on the spreaders to prevent corrosion and vibration.
0746343c-fd7d-405c-a0ec-7d6af01b1558-s.j
Neoprene gasket is placed on the bottom of the aluminum panels.

Are you going to put anything on the decking for traction? I would be concerned about how slick it will be with just a little moisture.

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

Are you going to put anything on the decking for traction? I would be concerned about how slick it will be with just a little moisture.

The plan is to LineX them. I just need to work on that process a little. I don't want LineX in the bolt recesses. I have some steel inserts drawn up that will fill the hole, but we're not sure we'll be able to get them out cleanly. When I get back from the trip, that will be tip on the list.

Knowing zero, he probably has a NASCAR track dryer attached to his truck somewhere, all he would need to do is just swing it out and push the button. Instant dry deck.

Now there's an idea!

I know that this is slightly off topic, but, I just returned from the smart4Two dealer in Albuquerque and the 2016 smart has only ONE tow attachment on both the front and rear. This is from a personal inspection of a new car with both the front bumper and rear bumper removed. There is not even a boss for installing a bolt hole.

Also of note is: !: Blue Ox has created a base plate for the 2016, but the smart IS NOT towable 4 down.

Garcia here in Albuquerque learned that the hard way. They traded a 2016 with a burned our transmission for a 2015

(Negative cash exchange).

ShortyO

I know that this is slightly off topic, but, I just returned from the smart4Two dealer in Albuquerque and the 2016 smart has only ONE tow attachment on both the front and rear. This is from a personal inspection of a new car with both the front bumper and rear bumper removed. There is not even a boss for installing a bolt hole.

Also of note is: !: Blue Ox has created a base plate for the 2016, but the smart IS NOT towable 4 down.

Garcia here in Albuquerque learned that the hard way. They traded a 2016 with a burned our transmission for a 2015

(Negative cash exchange).

ShortyO

My vote would be to install a trailer hitch for the winch point. I believe there was some discussion in another thread about hitche availability on the new models.

Brit,

Got an answer back from Curt today. Their response was: "Thank you for showing interest in our product. I only show that our engineers are currently working on the Fourfour Smart model at this time."

I put mine on the lift at the house tonight and looked and their are two nice, big fat bolts that hold the rear suspension cradle to the sub frame on each side. Looks like an easy way to get a 3/8" base plate to bolt it up and then use a 2 1/2 x 3/8 bar for the drop down and across. Add a little 1 1/4" receiver for a baby hitch and it should be done. Will make a layout this week and try to get some steel cut and welded up in the next couple of weeks. Larry prefered that we go with a center pull so I will make it happen for him.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

I'll be interested to see what you guys come up with for loading. I have no confidence that there will be a production hitch any time soon. While I'd like to buy a new one, I will not until there is a proven loading method.

I intend to tow it, as well. But on a custom aluminum trailer that could also tow a golf cart, and ATV, or a CanAm.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Looks like it will not be too hard to come up with a hitch. Took several measurements tonight but will need to drop the bottom shock bolts and remove the rear coil springs to be able to measure the maximum suspension compression. That will have to wait until tomorrow night. I will try to post some pics in the morning to show you what I have in mind to bolt to the frame and to brace it back to the front.

This will be one of those "brute strength" 3/8"x2 1/2" steel bar hitches that should be WAY more than required to winch this little car up the ramp. It will also act as a skid plate for the muffler. One question I do have for the group though, would you go ahead and add two additional receivers on each side for a more stable platform if someone wanted to build a bicycle rack or small carrier platform?

Here we are up in the air:

Smart_Hitch_01.jpg

And the hitch will run across just under the muffler

Smart_Hitch_02.jpg

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

Archived