Brand of RV Toilet Poll

RV Toilets  

73 members have voted

1. 1. What material is your RV toilet made of?

• Porcelain
    • Plastic
    • Current RV toilet is 1 - 5 years old
    • Current RV toilet is 5-10 years old
    • Current RV toilet is over 10 years old
    • I have the orginal toilet in our RV
    • We have change our toilet since we have owned our RV
    • We have a Sealand brand RV Toilet
    • We have a Thetford brand RV Toilet
    • We have a brand other thant Sealand or Thetford

In 5 years of full time use I have replaced my toilet 3 times. I am single, but I do have guests some, but it's not like I'm flushing every 15 minutes 18 hours/day. I just don't feel RV toilets are designed for full time use. The parts just wear out. I have a Thetford Style II.

Ed

KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, RV Flex Armor Roof

When we first bought our rig (2003) the water connections to the toilet were not tighten. (a foretelling of things to come???) Then we had problems with the pedal, too loose, too tight. then the ball would not close. A couple times the seal either dried out or eroded or was replaced incorrectly??.....

The mobile service recommended by another escapee is closed till the 18th (I imagine they take their vacation before the summer rush). So I have some time to research the various models. The mobile service is an authorized Thetford dealer so I am guessing that is the brand they will suggest? We currently have a porcelain Sealand Traveler. I do prefer the porcelain and weight is not a major issue. The electric look appealing but just another exposure to break down and a bit pricey. Guess I am old fashioned.

Found this DIY website on a Thetford Aria Classic that looks interesting.

Thetford also had this toilet conversion chart showing which toilet you currently have and which of theirs would match, match with adapters or they would not recommended at all. Thought I would share here for future reference: http://www.thetford.com/Portals/0/PDFs/Toilet-Conversion-Chart-Oct2012.pdf

After doing the math we decided we love our fiver and would rather update/upgrade/remodel then invest in a new unit and start over. So this season we are starting the process.

Thank you all for sharing your experience, advice and suggestions much appreciated.

When we bought our fiver in the fall of 2003 for fulltiming it came with a plastic toilet. Lasted until May 2010 and I don't remember any major problems with it until the valve started to leak. The valve was sort of pricey and we looked at other potties. Found a Thetford Style Plus that had a china bowl and set just a tad higher, so we went with it. But the water valve has a life span of anywhere from 6 months to a year. Thetford warrants their parts for a year providing you have the sales slip. The new valve is about $30.00. I have had several sent to me under this warranty. But I do carry a spare with us if it goes belly-up and we are out in the boonies. I have talked to a Thetford tech a couple of times about the failure rate and really no answers. The usual "what pressure are you running" (I do run a Watts Residential unit that is adjustable and set or 60psi) and several other ideas but nothing concrete. It will always start seeping while being flushed only at where the cap is glued onto main valve section. Since I do my own work we keep this particular pottie. I can lay over the lid and change the valve out in about five minutes. No REMOVAL of pottie and only requires a Phillips screwdriver and a pair of pliers. Another plus, I guess you could call it that, it seems any RV supply joint seems to stock this valve. I wonder why?

JM, you mention the Thetford Aria Classic toilet. Our RV came with that model and I do not recommend it. In 5 years we replaced 3 water valves, two cables, and the pedal broke twice. I carried lots of spare parts! I replaced it a year and a half ago with a Sealand (now Dometic) model 320 which I consider just as good, less $$$ and MORE reliable. Greg

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

JM, you mention the Thetford Aria Classic toilet. Our RV came with that model and I do not recommend it. In 5 years we replaced 3 water valves, two cables, and the pedal broke twice. I carried lots of spare parts! I replaced it a year and a half ago with a Sealand (now Dometic) model 320 which I consider just as good, less $$$ and MORE reliable. Greg

Thank you Greg.

We are on our third toilet in a little over 10 years of full-time RVing. Now have the Sealand 310. So far like this one the best. The other two were Thetfords. At least with the Sealand on can remove and replace the seal without having to remove the toilet from the RV.

We have the Sealand 520( I believe that's the model #). I was able to replace the leaky ball without having to remove the toilet from the floor. The top 1/2 bowl area just came off with one clamp revealing the ball & seal. I never did it before but it turned out to be easy. Now the toilet holds water in the bowl like when new. Because of the easy repair, I would choose Sealand (Dometic) again. Dave.

2006 Coachmen Aurora 36ft. Class A motor home. 2009 Honda CRV toad. "Snowbirds" apprx. 6 mos. each year. Travelling to the SW each winter than returning to Wi. each summer. Retired and enjoying our travels along with Buddy the cat.

Archived