Strange reaction from RVer

I wonder how she'd react if you peed on one of the wheels of her vehicles - discretely of course. :P

A better solution might be to set-up a "bear fence" http://www.udap.com/bearshock.htm around your toad, so if her dog returns to the scene of the crime, well let's just say it will be a shocking experience. Maybe she will initiate a conversation then. B)

Chip

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have just started this new lifestyle about 6 months ago. I usually don't say we are full timers unless asked. I like full timers, part timers, And short timers (weekend, vacation etc.). I think this person was just a funny duck or was having a bad day. I am sure as we move on with this adventure we will meet some very interesting people.

I wonder how she'd react if you peed on one of the wheels of her vehicles - discretely of course. :P

A better solution might be to set-up a "bear fence" http://www.udap.com/bearshock.htm around your toad, so if her dog returns to the scene of the crime, well let's just say it will be a shocking experience. Maybe she will initiate a conversation then. B)

Chip

You're funny Sushidog! :D Thanks for the link.

I don't know what happens to people over time. But it's not just rvers. I spend a good bit of time on another forum, one for "homesteaders". It's the same thing there. What's the definition of "homesteader"? Everybody seems to have their own nuances as to what the word means (and what it does not mean) and those that have a different view are happy to share their disdain for others who don't fit their idea of what the word means. And then there are "farmers" and "ranchers" and "wannabe" types of most every flavor some of which think they are big enough that they have some authority over the definition of the word by way of their size. Some "arrive". Some "never get there". Some just seem to stir the fecal matter. Some are really nice. Some are grouches. Some are snobs. Some are slobs. Some cause most to question their (our?) sanity.

Kinds sounds like most groups out there, aye?

I used a battery powered electric fence charger to protect my wire wheels from the neighbor's dog. He learned in one visit and never tried again.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Letting a dog pee on your tire as you watch and then turning her back to you? Thats not only rude, its a screaming insult. I would have told her to never let that happen again and ask her if she would clean it off.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

If you search hard enough and long enough you can always find some bad experiences and unfriendly people. We take the other approach and spend our time and efforts in finding and enjoying good people as they are out there too.

The only difference between having a good experience and a bad one is in what each one of us choose to remember and dwell upon. :)

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Letting a dog pee on your tire as you watch and then turning her back to you? Thats not only rude, its a screaming insult. I would have told her to never let that happen again and ask her if she would clean it off.

Not to hijack Barbara's thread...

I'm the mellow sort, so tend to ignore others' ignorant actions. -_- Everyone can have a bad day and act like an a-hole at times. Hubby, however, if he weren't full of good Mexican food carbs, would have cheerfully hung her with her own dog leash. We let it go more because we didn't want to have a scene in front of our new friends. The other reason is because some of these people are more than rude, they are effing crazy. Anyone who would let her dog pee on your wheel in full view isn't in possession of all her cards or marbles.

We now live in a barndominium with the RV just outside of our door for several months at a time. Not sure just what that makes us, but I don't know that I really care either.

Oh this is absolutely brilliant!!! A "barndominium" is pretty much what we'll have, too, once the apartment in the shop is done (with the motor home parked outside because it's 7" too long to fit into the shop).

Not everyone gets to coin a phrase... :)

WDR

1993 Foretravel U225 with Pacbrake and 5.9 Cummins with Banks

1999 Jeep Wrangler, 4" lift and 33" tires

Raspberry Pi Coach Computer

Ham Radio

Society has gotten more course and ruder. I look at all the tattoos and body piercing and shake my head. I often question if civilization is digressing back to the time of the Neanderthals? Add to the fact of dumbing down of modern society. We are losing respect for our neighbors and fellow man.

Living the full time RV dream in a Holiday Rambler Motor home.

Our Travel Blog is http://rvroadriders.com

A friend sent me an interesting link the other day for a person that is a full timer who posts very beautiful pictures. Well worth a look.

www.rvsueandcrew.net

Safe Travels!

SKP #89742 - Lifetime membership - Member of the SKP Class of 2007
Good Sam Club - Lifetime Member
DataStorm #5423
Passport America - Lifetime Member
Sons Of The American Revolution (SAR) - Lifetime Member
American Legion - USAF - Lifetime Member
Rotary Club Member - 30 years

Escapee CARE Supporter

National Wildlife Refuge Volunteer

So the question still remains, why are descriptive titles necessary, and why do so many feel that interaction between others must meet a set code?

The farming community has many of these same negative traits. Some misunderstanding over something stupid will get someone mad at the other. I have a few locals that hate me for their own mistake. (and I can actually prove it which makes them hate me even more) But still, when I meet them on the road, I wave. They dont wave back. In the parts store, I still say hi and ask how the family is doing, they give me a scowl and act like they did'nt hear the question.

It saddens me that they are that way, but it does not bother me as I know I had no role in their decision to be so. I refuse to lower myself to that level.

So rather than be so insecure as to believe hearsay that park model dwellers are snobs, and go online and further that rumor, making one's self appear even lower on the pole, why not let each individual be judged as an individual? Why draw conclusions about someone based on their chosen type of dwelling?

Dont give up trying to visit with the people just because of one little misunderstood interaction. Try again and even again after that if needed. And even then, if they are one of the minority that seem to conform to the hearsay rumors, then let them dig their own hole. If you help them dig by complaining about them not conforming to your expectations, and telling so online, then you have chosen to lower yourself to the level you despise so much. Not a real good level to be at.

I'm a work'n on it.

So the question still remains, why are descriptive titles necessary, and why do so many feel that interaction between others must meet a set code?

I don't believe that the use of a descriptive term implies that at all, even though it could be used that way. I used to sometimes tell people that we were fulltimers, only because we were and today I say that we are seasonal RVers in similar circumstances. There are times that I describe myself as a Texan and other times as an Escapee. None of those imply anything any more than it would if I said that I have red hair (I just which I had hair <_< ) or gray eyes, or any of a long list of things which apply to most everyone. Have we become so sensitive that we must try and make everyone generic? I have not found that to be the case at all. There have always been those who have need for social stature and who seek ways to set themselves apart and there always will be. I believe that the RV community if much less that way than most parts of society, but we are far from free of it.

When most people first become part of some new activity or group they tend to be enthusiastic about that fact and often look for opportunities to share that with others not because they believe that it makes them better than those not part of it, but because they are so excited about their new found experiences that they become almost evangelistic about encouraging others to join their activity or group. RV folks are one of the groups where that is common, as are many specialized activities. Some examples that are just as likely to do this in my experience have been pilots and ham radio operators. I believe that for most participants in such activities, it is more a desire to encourage others to join their activity than an effort to exclude nonparticipants which creates this labeling.

There are those in any group or community who do try to exclude others or to isolate themselves from those not part of their group and who isolate themselves from people of different hobbies, beliefs, or other lines and always will be. I have no idea what motivates them but it is as much their right to do as it is mine to explore other groups so I'll not waste time in trying to figure them out. There are enough friendly folks around that I can occupy my time with that I feel no need to attempt to force my way into their group. I'll continue enjoying those who share my interest in other people and respect those who choose to do differently.

I would offer one word of caution to these thoughts. Be careful that you do not take the actions of someone who is very shy to be those of being aloof or elite. I have found that social walls are more often the result of fear and communication breakdown than of real differences.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Dezel,

I think you misunderstood my OP. One of the things that comes up again and again on RV forums is people asking for recommendations for RV parks in snowbird states but they want parks that don't have park models in them because of the "park model attitude." I was trying, obviously unsuccessfully, to point out that maybe it wasn't always the park model owners that have 'attitudes'.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Dezel,

I think you misunderstood my OP. One of the things that comes up again and again on RV forums is people asking for recommendations for RV parks in snowbird states but they want parks that don't have park models in them because of the "park model attitude." I was trying, obviously unsuccessfully, to point out that maybe it wasn't always the park model owners that have 'attitudes'.

Barb

I agree with you Barbara. People seem to try much harder to find a reason to hate than to find a way to connect. :)

Dezel,

Barb

Hello Barb,

We stay at a 55+ Mobile Home Park that has a RV section with nothing but RV sites. Each year a RV'er decides to buy a mobile home. We see them wandering back over to the RV section in their golf cart for 4 o'clock gatherings.

We always welcome them. They miss the RVing lifestyle and miss their friends that are still RVing.

https://www.rancherovillagetx.com/home.html

http://www.rancherovillagecircle.com/

Jim

Fulltimming since 2000. Now 3/4 timming
2012 Ram Laramie CC, DRW, 2014 3150RL Montana
Sent via Verizon USB727 from somewhere.

We are very pleased that we do not travel in the same circles as many here. We have never felt discriminated against because of the type of Rv we have. The Rv'ers we have met over the years seem to get along with everyone. Here in this HOA community we have Travel trailers, Motor Homes,5th wheels, park models and single wide's. We have permanents and snowbirds. One of our communities is all Motor Homes and we have never been asked what we own when we are there. We are between a park model and a single wide across the street is a park model and next to him a 5th wheel. There is a large high dollar MH on the corner. We all get along just fine.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

In our travels last year, our RV caravan group stopped at a Mexican roadside restaurant and store.

The store was chosen because it had a large highway frontage with room for all the RV's and we needed a rest stop.

The dirt lot was level with a few dips and divots.

The store was bare and simple with a few roadside tourist trinkets and packaged snacks available for sale inside. Outside were a few plastic chairs and benches.

Cooked food offerings included tacos of a meager nature with simi-cool cokes for drinks.

The woman behind the glass display case counter made the necessary transactions but seemed a bit withdrawn and non-engaging with her gregarious gringo customers.

Sylvia, who speaks fluent spanish and has an RN background made some inquiries to the woman if she were feeling okay.

It turns out that several days previously, the woman's husband was underneath and working on truck that had stopped. . .the truck rolled forward and had crushed his head. We were aghast!

So, I hope this is not to "off-topic". Be we've learned that it is sometimes better not to know and just accept people as they are.

Lance-white-sands-500.jpg

~Rich

So, I hope this is not to "off-topic". Be we've learned that it is sometimes better not to know and just accept people as they are.

You were considerate to ask about the women's condition. Though her answer was certainly not what you expected, I don't see it as a reason for not asking "How are you" of people anymore. This was just a case when someone actually told you instead of just saying "I'm fine".

And, yes, your post was off topic.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

I dont think Rich and Sylvia's post is as off topic as it first appears. The post reminds us that everyone has a story and a lot of people hurt and life is hard. Some are more successful at hiding their hurt or are better able to overcome their hurt but I have yet to meet a non dysfunctional family yet. If there are any they are lucky. So thank you......that was a good reminder.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

Archived