Prayers for an Escapee Family Member

Hey Gang - I was just visiting with Barbaraok. She shared something with me that I want to pass along. Her husband is dealing with squamous cell carcinoma of the scalp. It has gone almost down to the skull. He will be getting some radiation as a follow up to other procedures in the hope they get it all.

Let's all say some prayers for them.

The richest are not those who have the most, but those who need the least.

Thanks so much for your caring thoughts. And remember your hats and sun screen, especially if you've become a little thin on top. Also if a scrape doesn't heal like it should, get it looked at. As we get older our careless ways when we were teenagers come back to haunts us.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Our thoughts are with you both. Hugs, Di

SKP #48048
2015 single Cab Ram 3500 Dually. Aisan Transmission, 410 gear. Pace Edwards automatic roll top cover. AMP running boards & tailgate step.
1996/2010 Triple Slide Carriage, Mor/Ryde Suspension, Kodiak Disc Brakes, Big Foot Leveling System & Plug It Right Stabilizers.
www.plugitright.com Plug It Right Stabilizer, TST, Quadra Big Foot Lever Tailgate Easy Lift Distrubitors
http://www.plugitright.com/5thwheelREDO.html e-mail: plugitright@gmail.com

Prayers sent. Hang in there

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

I know you have been down a similar road before but somehow that doesn't make this one easier. Please, know you have our support as you go through this time.

My Dave wears his hat a lot to protect the top of his head yet he got a cancerous growth on his ear that had to be cut out. Get broad brimmed hats, folks, not just ones with bills in front. My Dave's hat brim goes all the way around but, apparently, was not wide enough.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

You're correct, this isn't our first dance with cancer and this one is a lot easier than mine. That said, it hasn't been an easy couple of weeks since they went so deep to get it all and had to pull the scalp so tight to close it that when it then swelled (as most tissue does in response to a cut) it was extremely painful. Add to that the blood thinners that Dave is taking and we had a fun few days trying to keep the swelling down and get the bleeding to completely stop. Even with the swelling down, the skin is so tender that pulling off the tape around the edges of the wound can cause a little bleeding. Thankfully he doesn't have to wear any bandage during the day now and the stitches are out so things are progressing. We have a radiological consult next week and treatments to start the week after.

The big hats are really a requirement in very sunny areas like Arizona. There were a number of people that were having ears/noses/necks as well as the top of the scalp done during the day that Dave had his done. Unfortunately it is all of the times when we were much younger that set the wheels in motion, but as we age and the hair coverings diminish, we need to increase our vigilance with regard to sun exposures - even when driving with that big window in front of you allowing sunlight to stream onto your arms.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Dave and Barb

May the Lord be with you, may He hold you in His Arms and keep you safe. We pray Lord that You would heal Dave's body from cancer. Lord this is our prayer for Dave and Barb, we ask this in our Lord Jesus Christ name. Amen

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

The big hats are really a requirement in very sunny areas like Arizona.

Since my bout with melanoma I have changed from ball-caps to brimmed hats whenever I'm to be out in the sun for long at all, even in states that are not as sunny as some. What is concerning to me is that I recently read on Skin Cancer Foundation website that they predict that 50% of the Americans currently past 65 years of age will experience some form of skin cancer at least once in their lives.

Let Dave know that we too have remembered him with our prayers.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Ours thoughts are with you two too Barb.

I wear a Stetson type straw hat when out doing the work around the property. I never wore that style hat until my 40s and have the brim front and back bent to cover which makes the sides flare, and I wear it low touching my ears. I'd add to see your dermatologist every six months if your plan allows.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Folks laugh at my hat (in my picture) but my dermatologist likes it.

20 years in the army, all wearing one stupid looking hat or another that didn't cover my ears or the back of my neck did me no favors. I got read the riot act not long after I retired here in Arizona, as the doctor was freezing a few spots and snipping a couple others. Got a good hat on the way home and wear it every time I step outside for more than a minute.

I feel a bit sorry for folks that get told "wear a hat or your pre-cancerous lesions will turn to cancer" and either don't bother or get a baseball cap, like Kirk's :-) that leaves your ears and neck exposed.

If you have never sat by the phone hoping that your biopsy report comes back negative you probably don't take the warnings seriously. I was lucky, I got good news but there is no way I'm pushing my luck.

Get a good shady hat, skip the phone call stress.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

If you have never sat by the phone hoping that your biopsy report comes back negative you probably don't take the warnings seriously. I was lucky, I got good news but there is no way I'm pushing my luck.

I had one positive, but visit the dermatologist faithfully twice a year ever since and have had some basil cell and precancerous spots frozen as well as two sent off for tests that we negative, since that day in June, 2008 when I first heard that "C" word. It is a scary event and does make a believer of you!

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

God bless you both, our prayers are with you.

We too have had several encounters with skin cancer. Numerous snippings, some deeper and biggger, and the waiting for the biopsy results, then maybe more surgery. Much good advice has been given here.

Carl and Jane

Praying for complete, and quick healing.

2002 NuWa HitchHiker II 31 FKTG, Onan Generator, HWH Levelling, RVFlexArmor roof

2005 Chevy Silverado 2500 Crew Cab, Long Bed, SRW, 8.1L

B&W Companion Fifth Wheel Hitch

Me and Mama and the fur-kid:
Prince - chihuahua-pug mix

, we need to increase our vigilance with regard to sun exposures - even when driving with that big window in front of you allowing sunlight to stream onto your arms.

Barb

I often place a bandana or pillow case over my arm to protect it from sun coming through the windows.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

• 2 weeks later...

Dave has started his radiation treatments and it is going well. In fact it takes longer to drive over to the clinic (~ 7 minutes) than the treatment which is less than a minute. Only problem is that for 20 days he has to be there at 1:30 pm - so the month of February is sort of shot - but he will be done before Spring Training starts!

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Archived