2017 Smart hitch

rdickinson

Looks good. Can't wait to see it in person. Are you going to make the WCR again this year?

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Not sure. Managed to get a job to help fund these expensive 4 month trips south. Leaving the job 4-5 weeks after getting back could be an issue.

On another note have the Crossfire system ordered, they will fwd ship it to a US destination on my way down..

The car was winched up yesterday, no problem

The hitch was a simple process. Not at all complicated. Held on with 6 bolts.

Thanks for the info last June.

Roger

Roger, do you have larger pics of the hitch attachment points. Those pics do not blow up large enough for me to really see anything.....

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Roger,

Just curious. Since the 2017 can't be towed four down because of the trannie, do you have to leave the car running and in neutral while winching to prevent any damage?

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Roger,

Just curious. Since the 2017 can't be towed four down because of the trannie, do you have to leave the car running and in neutral while winching to prevent any damage?

I can't copy and paste this text across in my phone, but here is a PDF file I found that addresses some updated information about towing the new smart...

http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/attachments/f208/22137d1476194765-453-official-flat-tow-instructions-453flattow_ke_pm.pdf

Doug
Frequent "lurker"
Occasional poster
First step towards the RV setup complete: 1 smart car

Roger,

It hasn't hurt ours Carl, For a very short distance, I just leave it in neutral with the switch on and the engine off.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

I believe any auto or manual or auto/manual can be pushed or pulled a few dozen feet with no issues. I have towed them for a few miles to get my broke down cars home with no issue. The issues come when you tow one for a long distance, with no fluid to lube up the internals is not a good thing. Pressure build up from continual towing creates a lot of heat which is also hard on seals, which can be another issue as well.

Just got back from Three Point Motors...re Smart car. Here are some answers direct from the Mechanic. An automatic can be towed for 30 miles or kms at no more than 50 kms an hour. I think it was kms not miles. A standard can be towed no problem. Winching up a ramp without engine running, no problem.

Wrap was done here in Victoria about 2300$ Can, 3 days. Graphic FX. They also re did some of the buzzard decals on the Rv that were letting go around hatches. This time I removed the hatches and windows, ran the decal thru then re-installed the hatches and windows so nothing can peel back.

Pretty much any Graphics outfit could do the car. They have difficulty doing some compound corners and curves. It puts the vinyl under a lot of stress and may tend to let go. This happened on the convex plastic window frame in the man door. Several attempts were made to wrap it but all eventually failed. What did work was some of this rubber spray paint. clean, 2 coats primer, 4 coats of red and a couple of coats of clear gloss top coat. All in rattle cans. To caulk the windows, I used fire caulk, it's the only reddish caulking I know of. It has silicone in it. First I put masking tape on both sides of where caulking was to go, apply caulking, gish it in then remove tape. Leaving clean bead, no smearing.

Hitch was done by the Parts Manager at Three Point...another Bmzero 2.0. Bolts on with 6 bolts, winched car on once works fine. I may have to stand the A frame off the truck a bit more so the pulleys on the A frame and car don't collide at the end of the pull. 18" hitch ht, same as old car puts pulleys in line on both the old and new car.

He's working out costs, mine was a test, there will be modifications to round off the outside corners so as not to come so close to the inside of the bumper. Mine will get modified after I get back from Tampa and area. Less than 500$ complete, just bolt on and cut the hole, no assembly of parts.

The trick is cutting the hole in the bumper, how do you find center when the hitch sticks thru the bumper??? Trying to get reference marks from any point or points didn't work. The body panels are slightly adjustable and the way to find center of the hole is to put hitch on, use a 2 line laser to mark center of the hitch, remove the 6 bolts and pull off the hitch, put on the bumper. Laser is still on and still lighting up center, drill pilot hole then use a hole saw. Take off bumper, re-install hitch then re-install bumper. Use grommet material to protect edge of hole in bumper.

Sidenote, be careful when removing front hood for service the windshield washer hose can pull lose. The front hood in latches from the front grill and completely separates from the car.

I'll try posting pics of front grill painted red and also red and white seats and red instrument bezels. The idea was to break up the oppressive black interior.

Also took a pic of the underbody lites on tonight.

I'll try to post close up pic of hitch rt side Friday pm.

Roger,

Looks great.

How many inches, if any, does the receiver add to the length of the smart car?

Jim

Volvo+and+Travel+Supreme+400+x+103.jpg

2001 Volvo 770, Detroit 60 Series, Gen 2 Autoshift

Passenger assist elevator to enter cab - for when we need it, or sell it?

'05 Travel Supreme Select 40 RLQSO 5th wheel

2016 smart car

We started full timing on December 1st 2014

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness - Mark Twain
Not all that wander are lost - J. R. R. Tolkien

Car looks great.

Hopefully the parts manager made a template of the hitch and can make more of them. I wonder in an inexpensive wrap for the bumper showing hitch location and locating from another fixed point would work for locating the hole. It could be included with hitch if they ever start selling them.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Car looks great.

Hopefully the parts manager made a template of the hitch and can make more of them. I wonder in an inexpensive wrap for the bumper showing hitch location and locating from another fixed point would work for locating the hole. It could be included with hitch if they ever start selling them.

Dave

He has the hitch template.

I did suggest right from the get go we provide a template of some sort. but he said the body placement varies slightly. The panels are designed to be able to be shifted some....Thinking more about that... All the template would need to do would be to get you inside the receiver area. Poke a hole and widen the hole the size of the square. The problem now is you have lost your pilot hole for the hole saw. Unless a square plug with a pilot hole in the centre was used.

Maybe not the best idea but someone else can improve on it.

Hence my idea of a laser , either crosshairs or a single dot, Either way, it's do-able. I'm trying to make it easy for someone without metalworking tools or skills.

Instructions could be provided with pics and description of how to remove the bumper plus other steps. Even the Torx bits and necessary bolts plus xtras could be provided.

Sean already has modifications in mind. The outside corner of the hitch needs to trimmed back 'cus it's too close to the inside of the bumper.

They could be packaged up complete, all one piece and shipped long with all needed parts, pieces and instructions.

R

Roger, that is a very nice job on the car. It looks great, IMO. I've seen some pretty nice custom smarts, and this is right up there with them.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

• 2 weeks later...

I can say that it looks great in person, although I only got to see it on the back of Roger's truck. The hitch was very well done as well.

2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)

event.png    

You put in some long hours.

event.png    

You going to get your lunch with Big5er?

event.png    

Archived