Okay Big5er How Long?

SuiteSuccess

Phil,

The retirement timer disappeared. How many days til freedom? Congrats and you're gonna love it. Thanks for your service.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Roger is right, Carl. As nauseating as the prospect is, my choices are either buy a new trailer and work 2 more years, or retire now and keep the one I have.

Let's just put it this way: I really really want that new trailer.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Roger is right, Carl. As nauseating as the prospect is, my choices are either buy a new trailer and work 2 more years, or retire now and keep the one I have.

I understand Phil. See you on the road in that shiny, new trailer.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Well Phil,

let's get a new counter started, maybe 2, one for the new rig, and one for you and the 4 paw's to enjoy it.

Roger

GCTaaehl.jpg

Roger, shopping starts after the holiday celebrations are over. Retirement has just been pushed back an even 2 years. I have been here long enough that the compound interest is doing its thing. 1 year adds about $450 a month to the pension check. A 2nd year adds another $500 a month. The new trailer payment will be my only debt other than phone, insurance and the likes. That extra amount on the pension will almost make the trailer payment. I could retire now, with the new trailer, and be "comfortable”, but the extra 2 years will let me be "COMFORTABLE". I don't want to do it, but its the smart thing to do.

Are you happy with the new signature addition? That other little puppy was so close to the finish line I almost feel bad about replacing him. Of well, this little guy will run that 2 years in no time (I hope).

2014 smart Fortwo

Roger, shopping starts after the holiday celebrations are over. Retirement has just been pushed back an even 2 years. I have been here long enough that the compound interest is doing its thing. 1 year adds about $450 a month to the pension check. A 2nd year adds another $500 a month. The new trailer payment will be my only debt other than phone, insurance and the likes. That extra amount on the pension will almost make the trailer payment. I could retire now, with the new trailer, and be "comfortable”, but the extra 2 years will let me be "COMFORTABLE". I don't want to do it, but its the smart thing to do.

Are you happy with the new signature addition? That other little puppy was so close to the finish line I almost feel bad about replacing him. Of well, this little guy will run that 2 years in no time (I hope).

Phil,

Glad your making a plan for you future, and it's a good one at that.

The time will fly, but it won't seem so, but it will.

Looking forward to hearing about your new rig.

Roger

GCTaaehl.jpg

Big5er,

I'm in the same boat. Staying a couple more years on the job makes financial since so I'm doing it. The extra retirement $$ is forever and we will be glad to have it later after the newness of retirement wears off.

Mark from Missouri

Our Future in an RV

2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Dually LB 6.7L HO Diesel Aisin Transmission 4x4 3.73 Gears

2019 Vanleigh Vilano 320GK 35’ fifth wheel 16,000-pound GVWR

I was more jealous when you were almost retired, but I'm still jealous that you only have two years left. I'm just under five years until I'm eligible and just under seven until I max out my retirement benefit. I am a little ahead of you in the trailer department though. Ours is on order and I will hopefully be picking it up in a couple of months. The plan is to get into retirement with this trailer and then make a decision as to whether we go custom or with another DRV type trailer some time after we're retired.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

LOL, I am jealous of you and your new trailer Chad, so I guess we are even, eh? I have been wanting to retire at 55 so so long. Considering I formed that dream when I was married I guess pushing it back two years isn't too bad.

Speaking of new trailers Chad, you might be able to give an opinion on my new thread...

2014 smart Fortwo

Not to throw cold water on anyone's retirement schedule, but there are no guarantees. Last week I got news of someone I knew who died at his retirement celebration. He was 57.

I used to do the math, and figured I'd live a long time, judging by my ancestors. Then dad died of cancer at 74. I made some adjustments, and we're playing more now.

So Phil, if you really want that trailer, and also like your job, go for it. I think it was Samuel Clemens who said that if you like your job, it isn't work.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Big5er, I did the same thing a little over 1 1/2 yrs ago. I thought I would retire from working early at 60 and hit the road and was about a week from doing it when I got a call from the GM of the Kenworth dealership I had known for 12 yrs and he offered me a position. I thanked him for considering me and told him no thanks I was going to hit the road. He told me to think about it. After hanging up I thought about it and told the wife if I went back to work for 1 yr and banked the money I could prolong taking SS early and be able to travel the way I wanted. So called him back the next morning and told him I would work for 12 months and then train someone to take over. 12 months turned into 16 months, but I feel it was well worth it.

So here we are 20 days on the road here in your beautiful state of Texas hanging out on Magnolia Beach and waiting to go to Galveston to take a cruise to the Bahamas for the New Year. I feel it was well worth putting in the extra time.

Life is good.

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

Shucks, retirement can be a bit like Dr.Pepper.....once you get a taste for it you can become addicted...

Now some folks try it and fall off the wagon and return to work.....go figure.

Back in the Stone Age I used to hunt elk with a guy named Denny , heck of a nice guy...Denny drove propane tanker but did not like driving a "bomb" on icy mtn roads so he became a.....Cop.....Denny was too nice cop so the chief who was a grumpy chief made Denny into the community relations officer and when folks had a beef with the cops Denny was the guy that went out and defused the mad folks including the other sometimes mad cops.....

Sometimes I would fly Denny and his family up to Big Fork MT for a hunting trip and one day we were droning along and I ask Denny how thing were down at the cop shop....Denny smiled and said well.....lately with the new big-city chief I have some days when I wish I was driving the ole propane tanker again, but if I get lucky someday I can retire and then hunt full time....

Well a few decades flew under my wings and I guess Denny and I sorta got lucky....

A few months ago I stopped by to see Denny at the old house he was born in....when I walked into the much expanded living room I was amazed to come face to face with a Cape Buffalo and about six to eight other African critters....I grinned and said well great hunter you've come a long way from when we chased elk all over the Casades.....Denny grinned and said "well ya know sometimes you get more than you ask for in retirement....now I go hunting in Africa every year or so and about half of the hunt I am the hunter but the other half of the trip i am the hunted...".....gulp!

Denny told me that he worked at the cop shop up to the retirement day and then his replacement officer decided to re-up in the Marines....so the chief talked him into training a new guy....Denny being Denny smiled and said ok BUT he wanted to retire soon ....well it took a couple years and Denny was able to retire fully vested and at 109% of last pay rate ....a very sweet deal.....to make the deal even better Oregon PERS at the time guaranteed a full 8% return on his fully vested retirement account.

I said wow Denny you did very well.....Denny grinned and said "in some ways retirement has surpassed my wildest dreams with beastly expensive African hunting trips with English double guns worth more than this house cost and when I get back and look at my retirement statement I likely have more in my account than I had last year....But....Mark (oldest son) is now a cop and after PERS became highly insolvent PERS cut back retirement to almost nothing and being a cop these days is a far worse job...some of Marks pay is paid into funding my very generous retirement....makes me sad in some ways".

Retirement can be a double edged sword...

Drive on.....(hunt or be....hunted)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Not to throw cold water on anyone's retirement schedule, but there are no guarantees. Last week I got news of someone I knew who died at his retirement celebration. He was 57.

I used to do the math, and figured I'd live a long time, judging by my ancestors. Then dad died of cancer at 74. I made some adjustments, and we're playing more now.

So Phil, if you really want that trailer, and also like your job, go for it. I think it was Samuel Clemens who said that if you like your job, it isn't work.

Trish retired a year ago, about a year before I would have liked her to financially. But, I was afraid that I would lose her because of the job stress. We've been travelling and enjoying the heck out of life and we may not have gotten the chance if she'd stayed. We have to cut a few corners financially, but that will be taken care of in a couple of years and we won't have to cut corners, but probably will because that's just the way we are. Who cares if we don't get to see something this time in Yuma? We'll see it next time through. Besides, we're retired and don't care about schedules. Every day is Saturday!

Trish & Raquel

--------

"Road Runner" -- 2005 Volvo VNL780, 500hp Cummins ISX, Ultra-Shift, ET-Hitch, 198" wb

"Wile E." -- 2013 Heartland Landmark San Antonio

Who cares if we don't get to see something this time in Yuma? We'll see it next time through. Besides, we're retired and don't care about schedules. Every day is Saturday!

That is the right attitude - at least IMO. :)

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

We have 6 Saturdays and a Sunday every week. We needed a day off.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

You gentleman give great inspiration to a 35 yr old!

I too have always had the goal of at least being financially able to retire by 55. New dreams come along every day though, until 8 months ago I would have never given a thought to being able to go full time, assuming we can keep a happy life in a compact space it is going to allow for some serious investing that could very well lead to enough passive income to retire sooner, or it could lead to having a 50K toy in the drive way and new mortgage...

Only time will tell

Phil, I was going to ask about the dream trailer, but it sounds like there is a thread for that, I will go find it. Curiosity you know!

I'd like to put in my 2 cents worth.......just remember that you know not the time or place and when your time on earth has run out and with that being said, retire as soon as possible and enjoy the days you have left. Live every day as though it's your last.

You may not have enough $ as you would by working those 2 more years but what if ?????? What if you only have 2 years and one month left on this earth ???

My Dad retired early and was gone at the age of 66. What if he would have waited this his retirement age???

A fellow worker died after he received his first retirement check.

All this has taught me to enjoy life with what you have now and not wait and to see what's in your future.

BTW, I quit working at the age of 55 due to health and I'm now 66 and we survived. We do not have the income that we would like to have but we owe nothing to anyone. We have lived FT on the road for 10 years and enjoy every minute of every day.

Food for thought...

2006 Elite Suite 36TK3
2001 F-550 Starhauler
www.mytripjournal.com/elitesuitestravels
IN GOD WE TRUST

No guarantee but but parents live to ripe old age, brothers, sisters, etc. you likely live long life. My grandfather's brother 107. My grandfather 97. My grandma on mother's side, 93. Mother 94. Father left here at 83 from a heat stroke. My odds are long life. So before we advise best to know family history. I intend to work till 67 so get most from SS. I also have investments so not depending to live of SS but it will sweeten the pot.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Bob,

Had a tree fall on me first official day of retirement. Luckily I survived or wife would have been a rich woman. Hadn't cancelled my term life insurance. Never saw a tombstone which read " Wished I Had Worked Longer".

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

• 4 weeks later...

Big5er that is a smart move.. My wife has added 7 month's 5 days to her retirement date. Found out hang around that extra time. Means a Bonus that's BIG enough to pay for a truck. Plus 6 more weeks paid vacation. Then a few more items, that just makes staying the extra time well worth it. Sad part is the company is trying to get her to stay 3 more years. And the incentive is well worth looking at staying.

But she keeping thinking if she stays that long. I may not be able to travel by then. Told her we would do it one way or other. it was up to her.

Pete

event.png

Thanks for the encouragement Pete. I just ordered a 2017 Mobile Suites 40KSSB. I've been here long enough that the compound interest is really starting to do it's thing. Working the 2 extra years will add roughly $1000 a month to my retirement check. That's almost enough to make that monthly payment. I just don't see the down side (other than 2 more years of work). I'll still be in my mid 50's and about the time I pay off the new trailer, I can start collecting social security (if its still there). Either way, I get a "pay raise" with no more payment plus the social security.

2014 smart Fortwo

Archived