Propane cooktop will not ignite

joykell1

If it hasn't been used recently it may just be that the air has not fully been purged from the cooktop propane lines even though you might hear a slight "hissing". Ensure you have adequate cross ventilation (crack open opposite windows or a vent and the door), turn on one burner and smell for propane. Once you can smell propane, shut off the burner, allow a minute or two for the propane to dissipate, then retry ignition.

If there is no "hissing" sound or propane scent, you might follow the propane lines backward and look for an inline shut-off valve. If so, the valve handle should be in line with the propane line. If it is perpendicular, open the valve accordingly.

If you can smell propane, but it fails to ignite, you may need to adjust the air shutter.

If it hasn't been used recently it may just be that the air has not fully been purged from the cooktop propane lines even though you might hear a slight "hissing". Ensure you have adequate cross ventilation (crack open opposite windows or a vent and the door), turn on one burner and smell for propane. Once you can smell propane, shut off the burner, allow a minute or two for the propane to dissipate, then retry ignition.

If there is no "hissing" sound or propane scent, you might follow the propane lines backward and look for an inline shut-off valve. If so, the valve handle should be in line with the propane line. If it is perpendicular, open the valve accordingly.

If you can smell propane, but it fails to ignite, you may need to adjust the air shutter.

We are full timers and use the cooktop daily. There is a propane scent when burner turned on. We have tried powering off and on the entire coach to reset, no luck. Possible overfill?

Possible overfill?

I wouldn't think so. That's odd though. I'm not familiar with your particular rig. What is your ignition source (piezo, alkaline battery, electric)? Have you attempted ignition with an open flame (lighter/match)? If your other LP appliances are working properly then I wouldn't suspect a frozen regulator.. it pretty much only leaves blockage.. which you said you're getting propane.. the ignition source is malfunctioning.. or the air shutter might have been inadvertently moved out of adjustment... possibly while cleaning under the cooktop?

If you've attempted ignition with an open flame, what did it do? Spit blue flame and the match blew out? Yellow "licks" of flame extended out from the burner then went out? Low blue flame partially around the burner, but then goes out?

First of all, welcome to the Escapee forums. We will do all that we are able to assist you.

We are full timers and use the cooktop daily. There is a propane scent when burner turned on. We have tried powering off and on the entire coach to reset, no luck. Possible overfill?

If all other propane using appliances are working properly that pretty much eliminates the tank and system as a cause. Modern RV tanks can't be over filled as there is a built in safety valve that prevents that from happening and if the tank were the problem, it would effect all propane appliances. If the water heater and furnace both will burn propane, the supply is not the problem.

I agree with what others here have asked about using an open flame to ignite the propane from the stove top. The fact that you smell propane make me suspect that your means of igniting the gas is the root of the problem. Have you tried using some type of open flame device to light the stove? If not, let me suggest that you use one of the butane lighters that are sold for use in lighting a barbecue to do this. 31j4q-tWI3L._AA160_.jpg If you light the flame before turning the stove one, then hold that flame about an inch from the burner and turn it on. If there is air in the gas line you will see the flame flicker as that air blows out against the burning flame and as soon as there is a steady supply of propane the burner will light. If this does not work, observe if the lighter flame shows air blowing on it. If it doesn't there is something blocking the flow to the stove top. I would also test a second burner just to be sure that it isn't some problem with one burner.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Our propane stovetop has electric ignition only if plugged in to shore power or the gen is running. If we are running on batteries we have to use a match or equivalent.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

Archived