What Dish Are You Using For DirecTV

We already have a DirecTV account and will be using a Standard Def receiver. Being new to the RV world, we're wondering what others are using for a dish. We need to make a decision as to whether to use a portable dish sitting on the ground or install a dish of some sort on the roof. So what is everyone using and why? What are the advantages of a portable over a mounted roof dish or vice versa? Chuck

58dd65872f8a7_ReducedRVandCar.jpg.cf7b626fb3b5b05ebc20cb05195193a2.jpg

Chuck and Susan      1999 Fleetwood Bounder 34            Triton V10 on Ford Chassis

Howdy!

We've had both and when we purchased our new Toy Hauler last year decided to go completely with a portable. If as you stated HD is not required and SD is fine which is what we also use. We purchased one of the then new Winegard G2 portable automatic satellites. It has worked we and we like it. We went portable because at times we like to take advantage of the shade like now when we are in a hot area like Florida. It's easy to setup find a clearcand level spt connect the cable and 12 volt and by the time I go back into the 5er its up and running.

"Happy Trails"

Chiefneon

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

Florida is where we live and will be traveling for a while. I have considered the issue with trees and whether there will be a clear view of the sky all the time. Thanks for the feedback. Chuck

Chuck and Susan      1999 Fleetwood Bounder 34            Triton V10 on Ford Chassis

A simple 18" dish with single LNB is all you need. Often you can find them in garage sales or flea markets for practically nothing. Put together your own mounting system using something like a C clamp to attach it to a table. Aiming a round dish is very simple and takes only seconds. If you want to go whole hog you can buy a complete kit for under $100 on Amazon.

http://smile.amazon.com/DirecTV-Portable-Satellite-Camping-Tailgating/dp/B00TXOOGRC/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1435295551&sr=8-7&keywords=directv+dish&pebp=1435295648652&perid=1PD606GWYWRANQCR1FZR

2000 Volvo 770, 500HP/1650FP Cummins N14 and 10 Speed Autoshift 3.58 Rear 202" WB, 2002 Teton Aspen Royal 43 Foot, Burgman 650 Scooter

Thanks. Just for the record, we have had satellite tv on our boat for 15 years. But the tracking system won't work on the RV. Chuck

You CAN get an in-motion dome, but it will have to be installed on the roof of your RV, it can't be portable.

If you don't care about HD programming, then any of the portable, automatic domes will work (except, of course, those that work only with Dish).

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

I use the Trav'ler SWM roof mounted dish. If you plan on keeping your RV for a long time yet, that may be the best to get.

Doesn't take up any valuable storage space.

All new DTV receivers now require a SWM dish. When the older SD receivers quit working.

The replacements from DTV will probable require a SWM dish to work.

Even now watching only SD and not HD. Is like back in the 50's watching Black/White programs and not color.

After watching HD programs for a while it gets hard to watch those only in SD very long.

The advantage of the roof mounted over the portable is.

Roof just push button and it finds and locks on to satellite. Before you can drag the portable out of storage bin and set up.

Doesn't take up storage space.

For overnight stops no dragging dish out of storage and setting up and needing to tear down and put away the next morning.

Roof dish to store it. Push button

Someday when you do want HD the Roof dish is ready. Portable you will need to buy a all new dish and heaver mounting set up.

Roof mounted you can use a Genie and record 5 programs at the same time. And then watch them skipping all those commercials.

If hot, cold, rain, dark outside. Just push button.

Advantage of portable over Roof mounted.

Roof dish may not be able to find satellite when parked under trees. Last time that happen to me was several years ago.

As I don't like to park under trees with dead limbs, sap, and bird droppings falling on the roof and awnings. My 2 AC's can keep the MH cool sitting out in the sun.

Portable cheaper to buy.

It gives you more exercise getting it in/out, running cables, aiming to find satellite. Maybe someone to yell at you from the RV to let you know signal is good/bad.

Or hooking up a signal finder, then unhooking it after finding the satellite.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

Biker56. Thanks but SD is alive and well with DirecTV. Our SD receiver and our LED flat screen offer a pretty good picture and without them being side by side, we can hardly tell the difference between HD. We've had this set up on our boat for about 4 years and had HD prior. It came down to the type of dish we have as to why we went to SD. So that isn't an issue for us. I do like the ease of set up on the roof mount and have considered the issue with trees, etc. On our boat, we always have an open sky. But since our use will be limited for a while, I wonder if the expnse is worth it. Decisions, decisions. Chuck

For clarification, we know what the pros and cons of what each set up will be. What we would like to know is, who is using a roof mount and who is using a portable and what issues you have with either. Plus what models are being used. Some have offered that info and we thank you for that. As a marine service tech for 40 years I have installed hundreds of these systems on boats. But the RV experience is new to me. Chuck

OK. In addition to using a simple portable dish as I described above, I have also had the crankup type. Both work fine. I had the digital meter system on the crankup that made it very easy to set the elevation and finding the satellite was a simple mater of rotating the dish after the elevation was set. It eliminates the need to store the dish and tripod, and is quicker to setup. It is so easy that I often used it during a lunch stop.

While the crankup type is certainly quicker and easier to use, it does cost a little more than a tripod setup. However, neither is very expensive. I wouldn't hesitate to have both if I had space. That way you would be able to use the tripod system if trees prevented seeing the satellite from the crankup dish.

Here is a sample of the crankup dish I had.

http://www.winegard.com/crankup/crank-up-tech-specs

2000 Volvo 770, 500HP/1650FP Cummins N14 and 10 Speed Autoshift 3.58 Rear 202" WB, 2002 Teton Aspen Royal 43 Foot, Burgman 650 Scooter

We use a roof-mounted Trav'er (in our case for Dish). I'd still use the DirecTV version if I was their customer because I don't want to fool with a portable dish, even an automatic dome (and I like HD) since it would take up precious storage space we could use for something else. I'd probably have to rethink this if we spent a lot of time under trees, but we don't, so a roof-mounted dish works perfectly for us.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Archived