Older satellite technology - still viable or need to replace?

Sorry if this has been discussed. Did a search but didn't come up with much. Been looking at circa 06-08 DP coaches and one of the things one owner of a perspective buy mentioned is that coaches of that vintage that have original in motion or other satellite domes may not be compatible with some of the new satellite equipment and boxes coming out. We had direct TV on our house until about 5 years ago, so have kind of lost touch. Now as we prepare to retire and go FT within the next year, wondering about all this stuff. Where's the best place online to get educated on the ins and outs of satellite receiving? But also curious if what I was told about the 06-07 technology being too outdated to use with today's receivers.

Thanks

Cheers,

Don

In general the dome technology of that time frame is obselete. Dish TV can use some of the domes because Dish standardized on the same LNBF that the domes used. But domes are extremely limited for todays spectrum of programming.

DirecTV uses the old LNBF for one of its satellites, the one without any HD programming. HD Programming is found on the other two satellites that DirecTV uses but they use a different LNBF.

Very few really need in-motion TV. Even children can be better served with DVDs. For in-motion music, that is what SiriusXM is for.

The best solution today is the Winegard Trav'ler automatic dish. There is a version for DirecTV and a version for Dish.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

In general the dome technology of that time frame is obselete. Dish TV can use some of the domes because Dish standardized on the same LNBF that the domes used. But domes are extremely limited for todays spectrum of programming.

DirecTV uses the old LNBF for one of its satellites, the one without any HD programming. HD Programming is found on the other two satellites that DirecTV uses but they use a different LNBF.

Very few really need in-motion TV. Even children can be better served with DVDs. For in-motion music, that is what SiriusXM is for.

The best solution today is the Winegard Trav'ler automatic dish. There is a version for DirecTV and a version for Dish.

+1. We had an in-motion dome in our last coach. Used it once in motion. Upgraded to a Traveler after 4 years, and never turned the dome on again. Ordered our current coach with no dome and had a Traveler installed immediately.

Frank
Kay - Co-pilot

Roscoe and Maggie - Rescue Beagles

"I asked God to send us a True Friend. He sent us a Beagle!"
"It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"

Our dome worked fine, just didn't have HiDef. Just carried a standard DirecTv sat. box. Just recently upgraded to a Travler. I will admit the HiDef is nice to have, and it's a lot easier to set up. Just push one button and the dish does the rest.

Fulltiming since 2010

2000 Dutch Star

2009 Saturn Vue

Myrtle Beach, SC

As others have stated, if you use DirecTV, you will not get HD programming with any dome. If HD programming isn't important to you, then a dome will work just fine with DirecTV.

While you can get HD programming with Dish using a dome, it has other limitations that could make it a real PITA, depending on your viewing habits. If you have two TVs in your rig where you watch one program on one TV and your SO watches another program on another TV, then you won't be able to do that with a dome unless both channels are on the same satellite (since a dome *sees* only one satellite at a time). By the same token, you would not be able to use a DVR to record one program while watching another unless both of those programs are on the same satellite.

If we were to buy an older motorhome with a dome, one of the first things we would do would be to replace it with a Winegard Trav'ler. In fact, when we traded our fifth wheel and truck for a motorhome a couple of years ago, we had the dealer transfer our Trav'ler from the fifth wheel to the motorhome.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Your older dome may be outdated but it will work fine, except for HD service.

I still use my 2005 roof top dome with DirecTV receivers and it works perfect. Of course I don't need or want HD service, its just an unnecessary complication to me, but some folks can't live without it. When I'm parked in thick trees, I have a portable VuCube on an external cable that works great as a backup. Its basically a mini dome, so again not good for HD service.

.... But also curious if what I was told about the 06-07 technology being too outdated to use with today's receivers.

Jim

Thanks for all the replies so far. Guess we'll just have to buy one and find out. But if the one we get doesn't work, sounds like the Winegard Travler would suit us fine. In motion completely not needed in our case.

Cheers,

Don

Archived