SunSeeker 2860DS

apopj

We are looking at the 2860DS for full timing. Does anyone have any thoughts, experience, reviews, etc on this unit? It really looks well put together and the space seems perfect. Decided a Class B is really too small for FT so this is our latest option. Thanks for the help....

Jeff and Diane

I support the "Thin Blue Line"

A really long overhang behind the rear axle makes handling more difficult on the highway and from the pictures it looks like there is a long overhand on this model.

Be sure you take a close look at the CCC (Cargo Carrying Capacity). I strongly suggest you take one for a drive, and stop in at a truck stop with a CAT scale, (link to the website to locate a CAT scale) and weigh the rig. The weighing is pretty simple, drive up, be sure your front axle is on the platform by the speaker and the rear axle is on the other platform. Press the call button and tell them you just want the weight for personal information. They will weigh you. Then you drive off, park and go inside for the weight ticket. Cost is less than $20.

The reason for checking the CCC is, most anyone who fulltimes will have 2000 pounds or more of cargo not counting fresh water, the weight of the passengers, the weight of the water in the black and gray water tanks.

A 31 foot long RV on a chassis with a GVWR of only 14,200 (Chevy) or 14,500 (Ford) usually doesn't leave much in the way of CCC.

If the CCC is too low, you might consider a 29' to 31' Class A. They usually, but not always, have better CCC.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

Thanks Al, yes, I learned about the overloading back in the 80's when everyone was putting MHs on the tiny Toyota trucks. They were overloaded as they came from factory, BEFORE ANYTHING was added inside.

Not all brands. Dolphin, which became National RV, made their name because they had a Toyota Class C that was not overloaded. Many are still on the road today.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

I ran the portable scales for a few months years ago. Of the about 30 micro-Class C's, every one was overloaded. I even did one that was on a demo ride with nothing in the tanks, nothing in the cabinets and 1/4 tank of fuel. I believe there were some very serious recalls back then, as in they had to buy them back at full purchase price. I am sure some were great, just never came across them.....

I support the "Thin Blue Line"

Archived